UKBouldering.com

Poll

Top Ten Current Crimes Against Climbing

Having your spotter carry your chalkbag for you
Climbing a problem that uses handholds on another problem as your footholds
Travelling 31 minutes to go exercising
Posting any climbing videos with gangsta rap in
Not jumping on the latest greatest snake oil miracle cure fingerboard protocol ASAP
Having a personal slave carry your portable fan as you climb
Wearing a kneepad with a book / ipad / old VHS cassette / breezeblock shoved inside
Failing to do a trade route 9b+ when you're a 9c climber
Liking proper scrittle instead of board-style "limestone on grit"
Trying to give anything at all a realistic grade

Top Ten Current Crimes Against Climbing (Read 7509 times)

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#insta_is_my_psyche

To be fair, I rather enjoy scrolling through insta and appreciate the slide show aspect of seeing snippets of various locales, people’s adventures and travels.
I quite like seeing some of the people I follow, progress through training regimen or projects etc.

I think social media is what you choose to make it. Don’t like it? Don’t follow it.

Also, never read the comments.

36chambers

• forum hero
No, it's not as good youtube/vimeo for beta searching, but for general browsing I think it's far superior. And as Will says, you can search for stuff with hashtags which has often thrown up videos of specific problems for me. The future UKC link sounds great, I know I was big fan of Ed's old site.

Let the puntering commence.

Last year I was under some limestone eliminate and I had no idea where it went or what was in, a quick search on my phone for beta came up with nothing. Saw that someone had logged it on UKC recently, found them on instagram, their account was private so I requested to follow, 5 minutes later they had accepted and lo and behold their second most recent post was the beta I was looking for.

I climbed the climb, had a quick scan through their insta to see what it was like, unfollowed them, and continued with my day.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix

Last year I was under some limestone eliminate and I had no idea where it went or what was in, a quick search on my phone for beta came up with nothing. Saw that someone had logged it on UKC recently, found them on instagram, their account was private so I requested to follow, 5 minutes later they had accepted and lo and behold their second most recent post was the beta I was looking for.

I climbed the climb, had a quick scan through their insta to see what it was like, unfollowed them, and continued with my day.

What a time to be alive.

Bradders

• forum hero
The elephant in the room is, of course, using ‘send’ in any climbing related context. :chair:

Oh my goodness, yes, this!!

Muesli

• addict
The elephant in the room is, of course, using ‘send’ in any climbing related context. :chair:

+1

Bradders

• forum hero
Not to worry. Alan James is coming to the rescue by incorporating the functionality that Ed GS developed a little while ago. You will soon be able to link Instagram, Youtube, and Vimeo videos to the UKC logbooks.

This is good news, I currently use the bookmark / collections function to save beta that I come across for future problems I'd like to do. Works well but you have to find the videos first which isn't the easiest thing.

I like insta. Recently I've been putting videos of me failing on a project on my stories and it's been nice to have lots of people getting in touch with encouragement and tips.

Obviously my main feed is a glorious display of unmitigated success  :2thumbsup:

SA Chris

• forum hero
In my view the biggest crimes is that a) bouldering is a cool new "thing" and b) that there is something spiritual and mystic about the climbing "experience" or "journey" and "self-discovery" it's not just people dicking about pulling hard on rocks for shits and giggles.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
In my view the biggest crimes is that a) bouldering is a cool new "thing" and b) that there is something spiritual and mystic about the climbing "experience" or "journey" and "self-discovery" it's not just people dicking about pulling hard on rocks for shits and giggles.

Oh yeah, esoteric bullshit and transcendental bollocks.
Yep, climbing feels nice.
So does sex, masturbation, a refreshing dip in the ocean and the first coffee of the day, still not found Nirvana...

mark s

• junky

Use of the word bloc is the one that sends me over the edge.

I saw a comment on insta once
"there are some great blocs on that boulder"  my head nearly spun off my shoulders

mark s

• junky
Another is a mountain climber who manages to worm in he was in the sbs and talk of a K2 winter ascent like it is the greatest achievement ever recorded in the whole of climbing in almost every single post.

Duma

• forum hero

No it's not - the Elephant is
MUSIC AT THE CRAG
FUCK OFF YOU SELFISH CUNTS
On the other hand, I rather like that IG is making it harder to search for beta - working out beta is one of the great joys of climbing, and having it available on demand is like cheating at the crossword

Coops_13

• forum hero
    • YouTube
I’ve mentioned it before but betacache.com fills the void that Ed left. It’s used extensively in the US but has global videos. Another advantage is you don’t have to go to UKC for it (I thought this was a UKC bashing site)?!?

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
I’ve mentioned it before but betacache.com fills the void that Ed left. It’s used extensively in the US but has global videos. Another advantage is you don’t have to go to UKC for it (I thought this was a UKC bashing site)?!?

You're totally right that UKC bashing should be a discipline in itself, but they do have the most comprehensive online database of climbs in the UK. I see that Betacache (which is a trademark infringement against the liquid nitrogen cooled server farm that sits in 36chambers' basement) has got some videos for climbs at a crag (Slipstones) called Bradford...  :-\

remus

• forum hero
...they do have the most comprehensive online database of climbs in the UK.

And a feature in the works that lets you add videos to climbs in the logbook.

SA Chris

• forum hero

"there are some great blocs on that boulder"  my head nearly spun off my shoulders

Excuse me while i pull my remaining hair out...

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
And a feature in the works that lets you add videos to climbs in the logbook.

Indeed.

Not to worry. Alan James is coming to the rescue by incorporating the functionality that Ed GS developed a little while ago. You will soon be able to link Instagram, Youtube, and Vimeo videos to the UKC logbooks.

andy popp

• forum hero

Excuse me while i pull my remaining hair out...

We used all kinds of ridiculous lingo in Wales in the 80s, probably much to the bewilderment and disgust of previous generations. I can forgive the young their new inventions.

36chambers

• forum hero
Although beta videos on instagram can be a bit of a ballache to (re)find, I imagine most of those clips would never had made it on to the internet in the first place if it wasn't for insta.

36chambers

• forum hero
+1

I like using "sent/send" and don't really get what the issue is.

Chatting shit climbing lingo is half the fun of being at the crag. I've been trying to use "the big sticky" at every chance I get.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 02:13:56 pm by 36chambers »

SA Chris

• forum hero

We used all kinds of ridiculous lingo in Wales in the 80s, probably much to the bewilderment and disgust of previous generations. I can forgive the young their new inventions.

It happened everywhere. Whatever slang someone saw on moving over stone or high 5 was used at the crag the next day. I'm sure shlauky never even made it out of Cape Town https://www.climb.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9426

what Mark refers to makes f-all sense though. - "Some great blocs on that boulder", unless there is actually a large rock on top of another.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
what Mark refers to makes f-all sense though. - "Some great blocs on that boulder", unless there is actually a large rock on top of another.

I thought bloc (in French) specified the climb rather than the boulder itself?

SA Chris

• forum hero
In every context I've seen it used in English (admittedly mostly Watson Guides) bloc has been used to describe a boulder?

webbo

• forum hero
You get bloc on some route topos when there’s a Boulder problem crux.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
Although beta videos on instagram can be a bit of a ballache to (re)find, I imagine most of those clips would never had made it on to the internet in the first place if it wasn't for insta.

I mean, yeah, but if you don't know the video exists then it's impossible to find it.

There's nothing like a video to generate interest in a route or a problem, or even an underloved crag, and I think sharing videos of slightly esoteric stuff is really important for drawing traffic away from honeypots and spreading the load. Some people have been commenting on my recent Ruin Bank Woods photos saying the crag looks cool. It's an amazing venue and, honestly, the more it gets cleaned the more there is to do there. There's tonnes of problems along the edge, some of which needs some TLC. But it's difficult to convince people of the quality without showing them stuff. Linking it all to UKC will be a game changer as people will be able to see what's on offer from the comfort of their couch. Have a look at these things from Jack Hustler, completely buried in Instagram. The rising break traverse is supposed to be 7C+ or something - a Steve Dunning problem. The photo is deceptive; it's a big boulder and steep! Caveat - the rock at Ruin Bank often looks gross and green but it's actually really high quality stuff, not as green in the warmer months, and cleans up very easily.

https://www.instagram.com/p/_11mAcsRX0CKUm_ULNOgetJcJhXE7UFEcJYGg0/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BTe2su6Acm3R-dbgjPAxvCJ8Vn-rvFAFGgF5Rw0/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BFUG7amsRUDFD0Fs-dgvAP7UIR2vqDaoDVp7C00/

https://www.instagram.com/p/zHiqWVMRU-bHgFPw1E3eQwpmOEfX0Icc8cjbs0/

https://www.instagram.com/p/y5SGxfsRQBZxEQxS1aiI8zRDwc5EV5hxJc-yg0/

Then look at this. To my knowledge the only online record of climbing at the mysterious Milking Hole! (Looks a bit rubbish, but the crag gets bigger over to the left).
https://www.instagram.com/p/BIfvOSBjZcPTRb_4P8Hc-l72rB0D2hBgDI7GKc0/
« Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 03:26:07 pm by Will Hunt »

Dexter

• obsessive maniac
so people should be saying "that bloc has some great looking sends on it"?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal