UKBouldering.com

Poll

Top Ten Current Crimes Against Climbing

Having your spotter carry your chalkbag for you
Climbing a problem that uses handholds on another problem as your footholds
Travelling 31 minutes to go exercising
Posting any climbing videos with gangsta rap in
Not jumping on the latest greatest snake oil miracle cure fingerboard protocol ASAP
Having a personal slave carry your portable fan as you climb
Wearing a kneepad with a book / ipad / old VHS cassette / breezeblock shoved inside
Failing to do a trade route 9b+ when you're a 9c climber
Liking proper scrittle instead of board-style "limestone on grit"
Trying to give anything at all a realistic grade

Top Ten Current Crimes Against Climbing (Read 7602 times)

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Top Ten Current Crimes Against Climbing
March 17, 2021, 07:31:26 pm
It's a fucking shitshow out there. I don't know if ranking the shit Brizzle Stool Scale style will help (you get 3 votes to try to get a more in depth ordering), but it can't hurt, right??

And no, "Fiend's dress sense" is not a 'Current' crime against climbing, it transcends the mere temporal dimension into everlasting aesthetic horror.

gollum

• obsessive maniac
Tough to limit to just three without upsetting the Overlords

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
Maybe. It's the first time I've done a multi-vote poll so hopefully it all works out, I can't change the vote numbers now.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
Where’s the Pink NIAD option?

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
Can I just vote for gangsta rap three times consecutively for my quota?

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
I wish that was an option, it would be useful to show strength of feeling for the most atrocious of climbing sins.

Ged

• junky
God damn social media horsecrap where people say "pleased to of (IT'S HAVE YOU FXXXKIN MORONS) sent X completely insignificant route", then cue onslaught of gushing congratulatory messages.

Nobody cares.  Literally nobody cares.

tomtom

• forum hero
Where was the polls option?

Teaboy

• forum hero

I only voted once but it was for the gangsta rap thing (which I don't mind but just not keen on trustifarians using it to appear edgy).

If there was something for hash tagging your sponsors in insta feeds, when you are not sponsored, I'd have voted for that.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre

Don’t worry, got your back there.

Actually the rest seem pretty normal really, don’t they?

Or is it only dads of teenagers that have slave to carry everything?

Of course, I’ve never climbed 9b whilst awake, either.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
The elephant in the room is, of course, using ‘send’ in any climbing related context. :chair:

Dexter

• obsessive maniac
We're missing the real crime here that is climbing in anything but pink anasazis (or Niads) without prior consumption of a pain au chocolat.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
If there was something for hash tagging your sponsors in insta feeds, when you are not sponsored, I'd have voted for that.
Bloody hell, is that a thing?? Tempted to re-do the entire poll (and swap that in instead of gangsta rap you bunch of daily mail-esque fuddy duddies :p )

tomtom

• forum hero
Clearly we need a long listing poll for the main poll.

Form a committee Fiend 👍

Duncan campbell

• junky
Bloody hell, is that a thing?? Tempted to re-do the entire poll (and swap that in instead of gangsta rap you bunch of daily mail-esque fuddy duddies :p )

That is a thing and it’s the worst of all crimes committed in climbing imo

abarro81

• forum hero
I think it's safe to say that anything and everything to do with Instagram is the biggest crime against climbing in the last decade

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
The elephant in the room is, of course, using ‘send’ in any climbing related context. :chair:

Is it ok to use ironically in a faux trustafarian American accent? "like totally send it bro"

dunnyg

• forum hero
Agreed re instagram. Somone yesterday said to me 'theres a video in my instagram'  about some boulder problem. Its such a black hole of photos/videos, designed for instant consumption, and with shit search functions, which means I will never search back through your fucking beta viddys. Nevermind, as long as you got the likes on the day, its all good.
I saw an freind use #climbing_is_my_passion the other day, and lost all respect.
Wank pile.

Stabbsy

• junky
Music at the crag, doubly so if played through shit mobile phone speakers. #miserablebastard.

HarryBD

• player

Sadly yes... It boggles my nut that people want to look like an advert but excuse it if you're getting paid an actual wage. To do it for free is ludicrous. It's endemic in road cycling with people dressed as billboards in exchange for petrol money. This clip comes to mind:

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Agreed re instagram. Somone yesterday said to me 'theres a video in my instagram'  about some boulder problem. Its such a black hole of photos/videos, designed for instant consumption, and with shit search functions, which means I will never search back through your fucking beta viddys. Nevermind, as long as you got the likes on the day, its all good.
I saw an freind use #climbing_is_my_passion the other day, and lost all respect.

"Check my IG Feed, hit me up with a like"

Also "check my bio for more details". I must be too dumb to figure out how to even do this.

I've seen that # used too. WTAF.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
Good analysis chaps. I'm not on insta but it does seem an exceptionally shit way to post videos (tiny size, no useful controls whatsoever).

I have a friend who uses #climbing_is_my_passion all the bloody time.  :chair:

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
Wank pile.

I completely agree but I'm fairly sure the someone was me and, if you'd listened (you choad), I told you that you could put the name of the problem in as a hashtag and it would find the video. There's two posts on Instagram with the hashtag #addioarete because I make a point of hashtagging the problem name and the crag name. The vast majority of cunts don't do this and so, yes, Instagram is a stinking midden of wasted information which cannot easily be recalled.

Not to worry. Alan James is coming to the rescue by incorporating the functionality that Ed GS developed a little while ago. You will soon be able to link Instagram, Youtube, and Vimeo videos to the UKC logbooks.

Using #brandofthebrave on the photo of you doing a lowball V2 traverse is a crime against humanity, let alone climbing.

RobK

• stalker
OK I'm going to risk the wrath of UKB here and stand up for the insta brigade. It is one of my favourite mediums for perusing climbing related media and for getting me psyched for things. For example, a quick scroll of my feed this morning and I find:

Olly Parkinson doing a cool FA at Earl.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CMjfjJ_jGZo/

Tom Bolger going full mutant mode.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CMiW39UDdkB/

Owen Davies with some inspiring North Wales shots.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CMiMEPRjccO/

Joe Swales on Zoo York.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CMh91PSDTsg/

I just don't know how else I would get that variety so easily elsewhere. No, it's not as good youtube/vimeo for beta searching, but for general browsing I think it's far superior. And as Will says, you can search for stuff with hashtags which has often thrown up videos of specific problems for me. The future UKC link sounds great, I know I was big fan of Ed's old site.

Let the puntering commence.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#insta_is_my_psyche

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal