the shizzle > MoonBoard

Dehumidifier for damp holds

(1/4) > >>

daddy long legs:
So I'm lucky enough to have a Moonboard at home, but it's in a non-insulated out-house which basically has almost the same conditions as outside, apart from being wind and rain proof.

I've noticed an issue when the humidity is high, like on a lot of rainy days this winter, where the wood holds seem to have absorbed a lot of moisture and are pretty damp and hence, pretty slippy. A chalking, brushing and blowing a fan does help, but I'm getting sick of pinging off holds and was wondering if a dehumidifier could help in this situation.

Anyone any experience with using such a device to reduce humidity in their boulder shed or such like? The PU holds seem to be non affected, so it's not a condensation thing but due to the wood ones being out of ply.

RobK:
Stick a heater underneath the board before your session. 10-20 minutes sorts mine out nicely.

Bradders:
The space heater under the board certainly works to allow you to have a session on dry holds. However you need to sort it out permanently, as the holds will probably start to grow mold soon and will eventually fall apart. Ply holds are the absolute worst for soaking up moisture.

I've done / am doing a few things:

- Fit insulation. Bit of a ball ache to do after the board is up but certainly helps create a more stable atmosphere.
- Add a foam floor. Gym mat type flooring works well.
- Improve the air circulation in the shed. Can do this by fitting air vents in the walls, and / or a whirligig type extractor like you'd see on a van.

SA Chris:
Gym flooring is easy to put in, no too expensive and makes a significant difference. I did our whole double garage in under a day with a bulk buy of the stuff from amazon. Floor needs to be dead flat though.

Duma:
My board is outside under tarps, and I've been using it throughout this lockdown, I actually think being outside rather than in a shed is helpful for conditions, perhaps as there's always a breeze? Agree ply seems the worst of all wood holds for absorbing moisture, but the biggest improvement I found is to be very disciplined in remembering to brush all the holds well AFTER your session, leaving chalk on them always results in a bit of smeg next time if the weathers not great.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version