the shizzle > the log pile

Topic split: Rank mentality

(1/4) > >>

Loos3-tools:

--- Quote from: abarro81 on March 16, 2021, 04:33:58 pm ---
--- Quote from: northern yob on March 16, 2021, 03:56:33 pm ---Just out of interest do you think it’s ok to tell people not to climb x because y takes precedence( yeah I get no one is actually saying that, but that did seem to be the implication)

--- End quote ---

Hmm... I think it depends on the context.
99% of the time no, I don't think you should tell someone not to climb X because Y is better/more important/harder. E.g. if you're on rainshadow it doesn't mean you should get to queue-jump the people on raindogs, or that people should stop climbing raindogs to reduce the queues on rainshadow. But, we should all try to not screw each other over, e.g. you might agree that the person on rainshadow would go first, run up to the roof quickly, pull the rope through and then work on the roof while the other person then works the bottom of raindogs.

The only thing here is that doing the Sphinx might impact on people's ability to try Voyager in the future, not just in the present... In a hypothetical scenario where there was a 10% chance that each ascent of the Sphinx would irreversibly break Voyager and a 0% chance that climbing Voyager would break the the same hold, I think it would be fair enough to think/say that people "shouldn't" climb it. Obviously that's not how it really is, but I can definitely create scenarios where I think it's ok to say someone shouldn't climb X in order to preserve Y

--- End quote ---

Some sort of ticket machine would sort out the rain dogs issue, the rest is all reflective of rank mentality

abarro81:

--- Quote from: Loos3-tools on March 16, 2021, 05:10:24 pm ---Some sort of ticket machine would sort out the rain dogs issue

--- End quote ---
It exists already, in the magical form of conversation, taking turns, and most people being quite reasonable. At most crags. Not that I'd go back to Ceuse in August!

--- Quote from: Loos3-tools on March 16, 2021, 05:10:24 pm ---the rest is all reflective of rank mentality

--- End quote ---
Please elaborate. (I think I know what you mean, and it's bollocks, but want to make sure I've not misunderstood before I call it bollocks. You bored me off the covid thread but you'll have a harder time on a climbing-related one)

spidermonkey09:

--- Quote from: abarro81 on March 16, 2021, 05:24:33 pm ---
It exists already, in the magical form of conversation, taking turns, and most people being quite reasonable.

--- End quote ---

This. The amount of climbers that moan about queues is ridiculous when normally all it takes is a friendly chat and all is fine. I suspect this is because a lot of climbers are socially inept/grumpy more than anything else, but it's silly- I can count the times I've had trouble getting on a route on one hand! A bit of faith in humanity wouldn't go amiss!

Loos3-tools:

--- Quote from: abarro81 on March 16, 2021, 05:24:33 pm ---
--- Quote from: Loos3-tools on March 16, 2021, 05:10:24 pm ---Some sort of ticket machine would sort out the rain dogs issue

--- End quote ---
It exists already, in the magical form of conversation, taking turns, and most people being quite reasonable. At most crags. Not that I'd go back to Ceuse in August!

--- Quote from: Loos3-tools on March 16, 2021, 05:10:24 pm ---the rest is all reflective of rank mentality

--- End quote ---
Please elaborate. (I think I know what you mean, and it's bollocks, but want to make sure I've not misunderstood before I call it bollocks. You bored me off the covid thread but you'll have a harder time on a climbing-related one)

--- End quote ---

This thread is an intellectualisation of social rank. Deciding what’s acceptable and who can do what based upon arbitrary meaning applied. One could argue that the whole structure of society and its sporting endeavours springs from the tendency to compare oneself with others. The rock or grade just becomes the symbol. The ticket machine cuts through that to some extent, so not a bad idea. No matter how many friendly chats take place there will always be someone feeling bad, angry, hard done by. Not that I’m a big fan of Wikipedia but here’s the theory

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_rank_theory

ali k:

--- Quote from: abarro81 on March 16, 2021, 05:24:33 pm ---Not that I'd go back to Ceuse in August!

--- End quote ---

What’s not to like about putting your rope bag in a queue of six at the bottom of a 40m route?!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version