UKBouldering.com

Hold tight, it's the holds thread (Read 42531 times)

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
Hold tight, it's the holds thread
March 11, 2021, 09:57:39 pm
Can anyone advise me where I can buy decent cheap board holds (small screw ons, old school room style resin holds etc.). Too many holds these days look too good and pricy.

dunnyg

• forum hero
#1 Re: Hold tight, it's the holds thread
March 11, 2021, 10:07:42 pm
Crusher holds are pretty good value for money, one of the crimpy board sets works out at just over 2 quid a hold, might be what youre after (dont have any yet, but have ordered some).

Monolith

• forum hero
#2 Re: Hold tight, it's the holds thread
March 11, 2021, 10:14:13 pm
Thanks, I have a few Crusher holds and know them well. It’s more the resin holds I’m hunting...

dunnyg

• forum hero
#3 Re: Hold tight, it's the holds thread
March 11, 2021, 10:23:50 pm
I have struggled to find any, would be interested if you find some.

Bradders

• forum hero
#4 Re: Hold tight, it's the holds thread
March 11, 2021, 10:41:01 pm
Likewise interested if you find any. All the resin holds now are in lovely ergonomic shapes and textures, where really I just want some ratty little horrible things.

gollum

• obsessive maniac
#5 Re: Hold tight, it's the holds thread
March 12, 2021, 07:30:19 am
Many years ago, when I had a board, I used a set of Metolius foot holds as hand holds. Board was 45°, although quite small so feet on kickboard a lot. Over the years every hold was used on a problem at some point, some took longer than others.

Just looked at the current ones and they look the same.

csl

• junky
#6 Re: Hold tight, it's the holds thread
March 12, 2021, 07:41:47 am
Can anyone advise me where I can buy decent cheap board holds (small screw ons, old school room style resin holds etc.). Too many holds these days look too good and pricy.

I bought a few packs of these https://www.holdz.co.uk/collections/screw-ons/products/chips-4 from Holdz to use as handholds - some of them are a bit slopey so have ended up as feet but most of them are usable as crimps on my 40º board. I also got these https://www.holdz.co.uk/collections/screw-ons/products/crimp-edges   

csl

• junky

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#8 Re: Hold tight, it's the holds thread
March 12, 2021, 10:01:08 am
Likewise interested if you find any. All the resin holds now are in lovely ergonomic shapes and textures, where really I just want some ratty little horrible things.

Shame I'm so far away, I inherited holds from both Dave P, and another friend who took their wall down, some right ratty old school things among them.

Most rat like crimps i have are these https://www.outside.co.uk/bleaustone-training-range-symmetrics-set.html

the smallest of which i can can barely hold on my board - 26 deg, so for a wad should be ideal. The others are more incut

Paul B

• forum hero
#9 Re: Hold tight, it's the holds thread
March 12, 2021, 10:50:00 am
I think your best bet for old skool resin is to trawl Facebook marketplace and climbing buy/sell groups. I've managed to buy a reasonable amount (enough Boulder UK would be jealous I'm sure) of classic EP (from before they went shit).

Pusher are back re-moulding their back-catalogue but seem to have lost their way a bit and are churning out dual texture stuff in preference. They aren't cheap.

If anyone is reading this and has a set, I'd like to get my hands on the Malc Smith Trainingstone holds by Stonesmith.

Duma

• forum hero
#10 Re: Hold tight, it's the holds thread
March 12, 2021, 11:17:43 am
If anyone is reading this and has a set, I'd like to get my hands on the Malc Smith Trainingstone holds by Stonesmith.
I recently acquired 4 (holds not sets!) from a mates board that was being dismantled, they are excellent. Sorry, no leads on any more though!

remus

• forum hero
#11 Re: Hold tight, it's the holds thread
March 12, 2021, 11:36:50 am
I recently acquired 4 (holds not sets!) from a mates board that was being dismantled, they are excellent. Sorry, no leads on any more though!

Are they pink and off Si's ex-board?! They're mine if so! Glad to hear they're back in use  :)

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#12 Re: Hold tight, it's the holds thread
March 12, 2021, 12:22:00 pm

I bought a load of very cheap holds on Ebay. Mixed colours, no sets, resin and new. I think the were sold as small foot holds for school playground traversing walls.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Climbing-Holds-Rough-Production-Seconds-Set-of-16-Screwon-Footholds/154178177306?hash=item23e5bc491a:g:OCoAAOSwAmtfjt3k

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Selection-of-resin-climbing-holds/184699200843?hash=item2b00ee254b:g:DscAAOSwwUhgOoBn

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#13 Re: Hold tight, it's the holds thread
March 12, 2021, 12:23:21 pm

Are these hold going to become like copies of Extreme Rock and increase in value every time they change hands?

tomtom

• forum hero
#14 Re: Hold tight, it's the holds thread
March 12, 2021, 12:39:24 pm

I bought a load of very cheap holds on Ebay. Mixed colours, no sets, resin and new. I think the were sold as small foot holds for school playground traversing walls.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Climbing-Holds-Rough-Production-Seconds-Set-of-16-Screwon-Footholds/154178177306?hash=item23e5bc491a:g:OCoAAOSwAmtfjt3k

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Selection-of-resin-climbing-holds/184699200843?hash=item2b00ee254b:g:DscAAOSwwUhgOoBn

I got some like OMm’s top link here (the screw ons) from eBay. I mean mostly they work as footholds. But are shit really. Uneven - don’t sit very flush to the wall and one split in two when screwing on.

They were cheap. I guess they work - but I wouldn’t want them for hands..

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#15 Re: Hold tight, it's the holds thread
March 12, 2021, 12:52:13 pm
Are these hold going to become like copies of Extreme Rock and increase in value every time they change hands?

Somewhere someone has a still-boxed set of Stonesmith holds under their bed that will one day be worth a fortune.

“It’s remarkable to find any pre-pandemic climbing holds in such good condition, let alone such a complete set. These are believed to have only been produced in this colour for a customer in the south east but Smith was in such a strop about that fucking film that everyone went on about but was never finished that they were never delivered. In all my years as a pre-Olympic climbing equipment dealer I haven’t been so excited since I saw my first pair of original Solutions with the intact tab. It’s up there with finding a set of pre-went-shit Entreprises, it really is.”

Duma

• forum hero
#16 Re: Hold tight, it's the holds thread
March 12, 2021, 12:55:03 pm
Genius!

Duma

• forum hero
#17 Re: Hold tight, it's the holds thread
March 12, 2021, 12:56:26 pm

Are they pink and off Si's ex-board?! They're mine if so! Glad to hear they're back in use  :)
They are indeed! Although they came via Ant's board.

Paul B

• forum hero
#18 Re: Hold tight, it's the holds thread
March 12, 2021, 12:57:53 pm
They're essentially resin replicas of a few holds from the school as far as I can tell. The texture and resin seems pretty good to me too.

I'm pretty gutted you've got 4 sets and I can't find one!

Duma

• forum hero
#19 Re: Hold tight, it's the holds thread
March 12, 2021, 12:59:24 pm
4 holds not sets...

Liamhutch89

• forum hero
#20 Re: Hold tight, it's the holds thread
March 12, 2021, 01:13:07 pm
Quite a few wooden hold makers have popped up over the last year. I've bought quite a few off Gary at Buzz Climbing Holds (on instagram), which i've been happy with. His prices are very reasonable and he can make whatever you want.

remus

• forum hero
#21 Re: Hold tight, it's the holds thread
March 12, 2021, 01:36:41 pm
On the subject of some of the people who have setup shop selling wooden holds recently, has anyone got any good recommendations? I've got some space to fill so have been keeping an eye out.

Hardwood holds seem pretty well established, ordered some nice edges from them the other day. Also picked up some lovely pockets from Taylor Made Holds. A few others I've had my eye on but haven't ordered anything from are Lock Holds, Against the Grain and Guchi Grains. Interested in any reviews.

Monolith

• forum hero
#22 Re: Hold tight, it's the holds thread
March 12, 2021, 02:04:00 pm
We need a dedicated hold sourcing thread don't we?

I bought a load of holds off Rich Simpson years back and they were perfect in every way. They may be consigned to the ether now. There are some really nice resin holds out there you come across at commercial walls and I might just be being pointlessly nostalgic for shitter old basic ones. The texture on some of the newer ones are almost a bit too good.

Holdz seem like they make the widest range and best value.

Fudge climbing holds look good on the wood front...

dunnyg

• forum hero
#23 Re: Hold tight, it's the holds thread
March 12, 2021, 02:21:17 pm
Ive got a mix of hardwood holds, beta blox and a few true hold. No complaints about any of them. Each have a slightly different level of finish, with some smoother than others. E.g. the beta blox have much more texture than the true holds. The vriety is nice.

If you are near Otley, the beta blox bloke has just built a woody in his workshop you can try out holds on and see what you like (covid permitting etc.).

JamieG

• forum hero
#24 Re: Hold tight, it's the holds thread
March 12, 2021, 02:57:39 pm
I have a variety of crusher, hardwood and strongholds (made by rginns of this parish). All are good in their own way. Like dunnyg says the variety is good. Different finishes and styles, means more interesting problems on the board.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal