UKBouldering.com

Lattice pinch block Benchmark (Read 4655 times)

daddy long legs

• player
Lattice pinch block Benchmark
March 14, 2021, 08:22:30 pm
Got one of these and was wondering what a decent amount of weight to lift up with the fat pinch is. The most I can do is about 15kg with each arm for around 7 seconds which seems quite measly.

Anyone else any experience with pinch training/ lifting, specifically with the lettuce pinch block? Would be good to have a benchmark to aim for.........

Ally Smith

• obsessive maniac
#1 Re: Lattice pinch block Benchmark
March 14, 2021, 10:47:32 pm
Yves Gravelle has just been sent one of these blocks by the lettucers; expect a ridiculous lift or two being publicised in the near future...

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLuozTODrYB/?igshid=1orulvgcf6b0x

I'm never going to get near that as a percentage of bodyweight.

15kg is pretty average IMHO
Lettuce seem to think 20kg is reasonably strong?  :shrug:
30kg is in the realms of possibility...?

daddy long legs

• player
#2 Re: Lattice pinch block Benchmark
March 15, 2021, 05:23:55 am
Alright, thanks! My results don’t seem to he too terrible then

abarro81

• forum hero
#3 Re: Lattice pinch block Benchmark
March 15, 2021, 08:35:10 am
From my brief play, benchmarking or comparing with it probably doesn't work well as the rules on how deep you can put the fingers are very bendable without even realising you're cheating or making it harder

daddy long legs

• player
#4 Re: Lattice pinch block Benchmark
March 15, 2021, 08:55:27 am
I did wonder about this as there are two screw ''heads'' embedded along the line on which you should place your tips to  pinch. Seems possible to milk these to get some extra grip.

Nice to do some pinch training and I'm really enjoying doing lifts with them anyway and seeing/ feeling gains so I'll keep it up.

Why don't fingerboards ever really have pinch grips?

User deactivated.

• forum hero
#5 Re: Lattice pinch block Benchmark
March 15, 2021, 09:45:26 am
Why don't fingerboards ever really have pinch grips?

I think you just end up compressing. I'm not amazing at pinches but can sometimes hang joists in a garage for example primarily through compression.

I recently made and started using a device called a wrist wrench, which our lord and saviour Yves Gravelle has championed for sloper strength. Needless to say I was sold. It doesn't have the specificity of a pinch block, but it feels like it requires equal thumb engagement, less finger flexor engagement, but wayyy more wrist engagement, so it could be useful for providing a stimulus that's hard to get elsewhere, we shall see.

Plattsy

• forum hero
#6 Re: Lattice pinch block Benchmark
March 15, 2021, 09:56:51 am
Arm wrestlers are wrell into wrist wrenches.

tomtom

• forum hero
#7 Re: Lattice pinch block Benchmark
March 15, 2021, 10:58:25 am
I think you just end up compressing. I'm not amazing at pinches but can sometimes hang joists in a garage for example primarily through compression.

Try holding the same joist with both hands...

User deactivated.

• forum hero
#8 Re: Lattice pinch block Benchmark
March 15, 2021, 11:58:24 am

I think if you can already do that then training pinches probably isn't a priority! For everyone else, myself included, some sort of pickup is probably better than a 2-handed fingerboard mounted pinch, which allows compression to take over (though this is probably useful in itself if you want to train compression).

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#9 Re: Lattice pinch block Benchmark
March 15, 2021, 12:05:20 pm
The Anderson brothers’ board had pinches where it looks like it would be hard to get much compression
https://trango.com/products/rock-prodigy-training-center

abarro81

• forum hero
#10 Re: Lattice pinch block Benchmark
March 15, 2021, 05:14:59 pm
I did wonder about this as there are two screw ''heads'' embedded along the line on which you should place your tips to  pinch. Seems possible to milk these to get some extra grip.

I think for the benchmarks you're supposed to not let fingers go below the line on the block, but this is hard to reliably measure. Main thing is pick a way to hold it, and gradually ass weight on that method! Just don't worry about comparison to others' "scores" I reckon

36chambers

• forum hero
#11 Re: Lattice pinch block Benchmark
March 15, 2021, 08:20:02 pm
pick a way to hold it, and gradually ass weight on that method!

this is easier said than done

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#12 Re: Lattice pinch block Benchmark
March 16, 2021, 08:28:19 am

Palms in or palms out?

Plattsy

• forum hero
#13 Re: Lattice pinch block Benchmark
March 16, 2021, 08:35:56 am
Think I remember DMac telling some story about pinching ceiling joists with a mate. DMac struggling a bit and his non climbing mate, who iirc was a dry stone waller, easily knocking out pull ups on the same joists.

tomtom

• forum hero
#14 Re: Lattice pinch block Benchmark
March 16, 2021, 08:58:21 am
Nice tale. Liam seems to have missed my point that by holding pinches perpendicular to the shoulders eliminates any compression.

Or have your hands closer together.

If they’re too easy still I’m sure adding some weight (or some grease on your fingers) would make them trickier ;)

(Anecdotally on my board pinch problems are ones where I fail the most rapidly - as in performance goes off a cliff)

User deactivated.

• forum hero
#15 Re: Lattice pinch block Benchmark
March 16, 2021, 11:52:10 am
Nice tale. Liam seems to have missed my point that by holding pinches perpendicular to the shoulders eliminates any compression.

Or have your hands closer together.

If they’re too easy still I’m sure adding some weight (or some grease on your fingers) would make them trickier ;)

(Anecdotally on my board pinch problems are ones where I fail the most rapidly - as in performance goes off a cliff)

I understand pinching a single joist reduces compression. I'm saying if you can actually hang this then you are already a pinch beast! Further up the thread it is mentioned that just 20kg on the Lattice pinch block is considered strong!

I'm wayyyy too weak to hang a single joist, so I need to pick things up instead.

gollum

• obsessive maniac
#16 Re: Lattice pinch block Benchmark
March 16, 2021, 12:22:57 pm
Presumably you could also hang two suspended blocks, although not advocating two Lattice blocks as seems an expensive solution.

I’ve just bought a second Ash Climbing square block as despite being a way off half bodyweight on one hand, if I stick with it who knows.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal