UKBouldering.com

Power Club 572 22nd - 28th February, 2021 (Read 5208 times)

tomtom

• forum hero
Power Club 572 22nd - 28th February, 2021
February 28, 2021, 05:02:17 pm
That time again... week 8 of lockdown 3...

Mon: Rest

Tues: Board - 75 min. Did every problem (bar one I've never done - mirror of a press problem). Superb.

Weds: 1 arm deadhangs. Decided to benchmark myself with the new correctish pulley rig. On the BM1K bottom edge (16mm? some say less) got down to -17kg. Felt tough - but got 3 reps. Then did same on the 35's - down to -12kg (with 3 reps). Felt beasted

Thurs: Board - Really tired - fingers tired from day before - struggled through. #TheGrind I was told this was called....

Fri: 1 arm PU day. Went for it. 18 down to 10kg assist. 3 or4 reps (of one pu) at 10kg. For me - speed (power?) is really important for these. No creaking up gently - full up pull bastard hard and use whatever momentum I get from the bottom 1/3 of the pull to get to the top. Did some finishers of reps at 18 kg assist. 2x3 each side. Battered afterwards - nearly pulled something in my shoulder but not quite (it transpired)

Sat: Rest

Sun: Board day. Really creaky start - but then once warm invincible. Did everything again and came EVEN closer to the reverse press problem etc.. pinged off... Weird session - almost sacked it off after 20 min then it clicked and all the problems tumbled.

Only four more weeks to go......
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 05:14:24 pm by tomtom »

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
11.8-10 Average 162.6lb (+0.6lbs)

M. Drizzly. Planned to go and do laps on Tin Of but got a dawn report from Nick that it was soggy. Decided to go out anyway. AM set of recruitment and speed pulls. PM Tor. 5 goes from the start of Bens each time not quite latching the crimp properly. Shoulders feel a bit cranky. If anyone sees me trying Bens in the next 2 weeks then shoot me.

T. AM Set of recruitment pulls and speed pulls. Tor again to go on Tin Of. Partner’s car broke down. Friendly solitary boulderer at the crag (Hugo) offered to belay and fortunately I had two harnesses. Route was still soggy. Got a workout but slipped off holds a few times ripping the top off one of my nails once.

W. AM Had a play on the fingerboard moving between the slots. Found it harder than campusing edges as you need to be more accurate getting your fingers in the slots. Also seemed harder when moving back down slots. Managed 5 moves (4 up, 1 down) a few times timing 3 secs per move. Surprisingly fun and much harder than I thought it would be. Works shoulders too. Seemed like a good exercise.

T. AM FB Set of recruitment pulls and speed pulls. Tor. Beautiful day. Nice to have some sun. Partner made it. Two goes up Tin Of with rests. Rock felt glassy and I felt awful. Felt knackered and glum about my woeful endurance. Third go with cloud cover redpointed it! WTF? Fourth go did with a few rests. Felt absolutely destroyed. Anna redpointed Call of Nature. Nice start to the year for her.

F.

S. PM One set of recruitment pulls and speed pulls. Systems board. Gastons sequence then one attempt at old An Cap circuit with slightly harder version of throw move (going off good incut edge). Got 3 moves from end. Bit disappointed. Experimented with a new version which I think approximated bottom of Oak better laddering up and down the incut edges timing 3 secs a move using crap screw on footholds leading into the throw move. Did 2 sets of 3 attempts. Didn’t manage the throw move so seems pitched right with a shut down feeling for the throw.

S.

30 days till travel restrictions lift and hopefully Malham will be on the cards. Made some good strength gains over the last few months but need to top up on endurance, power endurance and route climbing familiarity. Set myself goal of losing 6lbs by end of month to get closer to redpoint weight. Bit ambitious. Will leave Bens alone for a couple of weeks. In the meantime will aim to get back to comfortably doing laps on Tin Of before jumping on something harder.

Duma

• forum hero
M - 12hr shift, didn't get up early enough to fit fb in before work. Eve board, 90 min. Good connies, excellent session repeating a bunch of benchmarks and they felt steady. No new ticks but feeling good.
T - am 14 min fb session. Then 12hr shift. Eve 1hr walk to stretch legs and clear head.
W - am 14 min fb session. DIY all day.
T - am 14 min fb session. DIY all day. Eve board 90 min. Good session, repeated a couple of past projects, just about managed a new one (slight dab on side wall while matching finish)
F - am 14 min fb session. DIY all day.
S - am 14 min fb session. DIY most of the day. Eve board 90 min. Nice to fold the tarps back and enjoy a daylight session. Considering I'd forgotten to eat lunch went remarkably well.
S - Avon gorge, utterly glorious sunshine, plenty of folk out, nice scene and not too crowded. Started with an hour bouldering on the choice wall, did The Arete (6C+), Most Choice (E3 but highball 6C really), and Connoisseurs Choice (E2 but very highball 6B really). Then round to Unknown Wall for some gentle trad up Desecrator HVS which was fantastic, belaying in the sun looking out to Portishead was very good for the soul. Board session at home after, unsurprisingly bit tired but still managed to try hard.

69.5kg(av). Dropped under 69 on fri which is the point I try to eat more, and then forgot lunch on sat. Must do better (and not just by having another beer in the evenings). Made a start with a massive curry this eve.

Duma

• forum hero
W. AM Had a play on the fingerboard moving between the slots. Found it harder than campusing edges as you need to be more accurate getting your fingers in the slots. Also seemed harder when moving back down slots. Managed 5 moves (4 up, 1 down) a few times timing 3 secs per move. Surprisingly fun and much harder than I thought it would be. Works shoulders too. Seemed like a good exercise.

T. Two goes up Tin Of with rests. Rock felt glassy and I felt awful. Felt knackered and glum about my woeful endurance. Third go with cloud cover redpointed it! WTF? Fourth go did with a few rests. Felt absolutely destroyed.

I really like these little sequences on the fb, adds so much interest for me which is key for the motivation. And nice one busting out tin of from nowhere.

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Then round to Unknown Wall for some gentle trad up Desecrator HVS which was fantastic, belaying in the sun looking out to Portishead was very good for the soul. Board session at home after, unsurprisingly bit tired but still managed to try hard.

Sounds lovely!

M - 2km run + 5km walk. Box squats with 20kg. Fingerboard micro session on 35mm holds.
T - 10km walk. Fingerboard micro session. DOMS in hamstrings.
W - 10km walk. Fingerboard micro session. DOMS continues.
T - 2.8km run with the lad + 11km walk.
F - The concrete boulders of Fairlop Waters with the lad. Pottered around in the sun, repeated a few familiar easy problems. Most of East London strolled past. Chatted with all and sundry. All good.
S - 18km walk.
S - 8km walk. Fingerboard pick-ups micro session. Box squats with 20kg.

Great to do something vaguely resembling climbing. Amazing how much joy can be derived from a few polished lumps of concrete. The hips seem to be tolerating easing back into running and it would be great if the lad stays interested too. The shoulder is not tolerating any kind of fingerboarding however. I’ve tried resting, I’ve tried low intensity/high repetitions, I’ve tried low intensity/low repetitions. I’m not sure what to do next.  There will be climbing in a month or so and perhaps I’ll call it good until then.

csl

• junky
February Goals

- Have a rest week - did this.
- Keep the faith, climb on the board 3x a week Fairly consistent, calling this a tick
- 16x mobility, mainly concentrate on hips. 15/16 - happy with this, got into the habit of 15 minutes most days for the last week and actually feel like progress is being made.
- Mabley Green boulder x3, tick a 7B: Went a couple of mornings this week, no 7B tick but did savage my skin a bit which is always good training.

Monday
15 mins hip mobility

Tuesday
Mabley Green before work. Did a 6C arete, nice and technical. Did some ok links on a 7B, from second move to last move. First move is a bit savage on the skin though. 

15 mins hip mobility

Wednesday
Hangs on 10mm edge. Limit moves on board, managed one move I've tried > 50 times over 8 or 9 sessions.

30 mins stretching and mobility

Thursday

15 mins hip mobility

Friday

Mabley Green before work. Not a great session, did a few easy things and then tried to do the 7B arete but just wasn't feeling it. Also tried to do a 6C/7A eliminate and a 7A+ but didn't manage to tick either of them.

Board - made up boulders and attempted to flash them. Getting my non-climbing wife to set boulders is an effective way to climb more anti-style problems.
1 armers, not great - couldn't really figure out a good pulley set up which wasn't annoying.

Saturday

Nothing.

Sunday

2 arm max hangs. Managed 110kg on half crimp, but only ~90kg on three finger drag.
Board - doubles on boulders. Good fun, got powered out towards the end.

March goals

- Tick a 7 at either Shoreditch or Mabley Green. Doing a 7B would be a bonus.
- 20x stretching or mobility.
- Stick to the plan, don't miss any sessions.

RobK

• stalker
M - 40 minute run in the sun, lovely. LI 10/20 hangs.

T - AM, LI 10/50 hangs. PM, max hangs +25kg. All complete again and felt like there was more in the tank this time. Up the weight next time. Then an hour or so playing on the board. Everything felt a bit slippy so just messing on old stuff and making up a new one. Short TRX session to finish with, Ts and rows.

W - AM, endurance on the board. 10 x 1.30 on/off, nice low to medium pump levels. 5 x 4 (each side) offset pull ups +2kg. PM, LI 10/20 hangs.

T - Rest. LI 30/30 hangs.

F - LI 10/20 hangs as a warm up. Have leave to use up this month and I couldn't pass up such a glorious day. Chucked the pads in the van and headed to Nesscliffe. A new venue for me and the Terrace is an absolutely beautiful spot, spent a glorious secluded few hours in the sun. Warmed up by getting spat off a 6B+, standard. Turned my attention to Northumberland Wonderland. Watched a video of a mate doing this a few years back to get some beta. Surprised myself by all the moves feeling pretty steady and finding myself on top first go. First 7A flash! Probably lends itself to a winter of board training as it's essentially basic steep face climbing on edges.  Moved on to play on Little Northumberland 7C. Did all the moves bar the crux cross through which I got close to but no cigar. Maybe worth a revisit at some point when the crimps aren't bathed in sun.

S – Another glorious day that I couldn’t pass up so met up with a mate at Dinbren for a day of sun worshiping. Felt like Costa del Llangollen. Warmed up with a bolt to bolt of Extreme Ways. A friend had reported the large crucial undercut had become worryingly wobbly last year so I took some glue to it back in October. Haven’t been back since so wanted to check it out. Really pleased with the result, felt super solid and can barely see the glue. Then a quick tick of Old Hari Kiri 7a. Stupidly dropped the flash ignoring the beta I had been given! Moved on to Back in Black 7b+. Figured it all out but wasn’t overly enamoured with it, badly bolted and some of the moves felt rather awkward. I’ll get round to doing it at some point.

S – Rest. Although not that restful, spent the day finishing deck building. Fingers and toes feeling a bit battered after yesterday, I’d missed that feeling!

A good start to the week with a new fingerboard PB. Two days on rock in the sun was better than good for the soul and will keep me going for a while. Fingers felt relatively strong I think but was moving, unsurprisingly, like a sack of potatoes. Can’t wait to start getting the flow back as the season progresses.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
I really like these little sequences on the fb, adds so much interest for me which is key for the motivation. And nice one busting out tin of from nowhere.

Thanks. When going well I’ve led it from cold putting the draws in. Feels like I’m well off the pace at the moment do will work hard this month at this sort of thing.

Was thinking of putting a few incut edges on the Board. If I can do 10 footless moves at 3 secs a move that will be good prep for the bottom section of the Oak.

Carl

• regular
Would ideally continue the max hang phase a bit as gains are going well, but house shenanigans mean I'll probably be limited. Instead I'll try and get my benchmarking in for max hang to quantify gains and take a bit of rest.
Not wholly sure what to move onto after this - anyone got any thoughts? Any reasons to do ancap/aeropower/etc in any particular order?

STG - 2-3 7B+ [4 complete!] in Q1 and some progress on a 7C. If weather cooperates. Stick to fingerboarding if it doesn't.
MTG - get on a rope for some hardish (> F7b) things this year.
LTG - figure out an LTG.

Monday
Max hangs up to 93.1 kg. Felt super strong, maybe supported by the dulcet tones of Virgin Media's hold music and adverts. They certainly left me long enough to complete my workout.

Tuesday
Weighted pullups up to 104.9 kg. 5,4,4 completed aiming for 3x5 - about a millimetre off making the fifth rep of the second set but just couldn't grind out the last bit!

Wednesday
Max hangs up to 93.6 kg. More success! Not quite as strong as Monday but didn't feel in danger of failing. Might extend this max hangs phase a little if I'm continuing to add load without feeling tweaky...

Thursday
Weighted pullups at 105 kg. 5,5,4. Nearly there! Definitely pretty grindy though.

Friday
Nada. Got keys to the new house so this is probably time to have a rest week (climbing-wise anyway, will probably be knackered from endless DIY!).

Saturday
Got out to Millstone for a morning of roped perversions, just seconding to protect my heel. Managed alright until trying the eliminate finger crack on Embankment 2, and got thoroughly spanked. Route endurance and general fitness is absolutely abysmal at the moment, was huffing and puffing after a 10 m  route :lol:

Sunday
DIY and general house faff.

dunnyg

• forum hero
Mon - non
Tu - Non

Wed- Warm up. Repeaters, BM 5A, 10 pressups between sets (60 total). 1 arm hangs, including 3 fingers. These felt hard, and hard on my skin. More of these! OH dumbell press, dumbell press (3x15), and some russian twists.

Thu- Lamp session at St Ives, 7 problems up to 6B and failing on gritty shaker and a proj. Repeated some of Will's new problems, turns out he has been using big grades for bad beta. Downgraded them. Glorious. Couple of FAs. Too.

Fri- Ilkley for an hour. Bah-tat traverse (6C). Felt way harder than the grade given. Got the beta wired, blind feet and a trick cut loose at the end. Ilkley is a zoo. Will go back in the dark when there are less people and do it. Not warming up for this ruined my biceps for the rest of the week,

Sat- Ilkley high crag and 'the neb stone'. 20 problems up to 7Aish, mostly easier. Lovely day out, a couple of good problems.  Biceps felt wierd.

Sun- Thimble stones + Ilkley buckstones. 15 problems up to 6A, tried some horrible sit starts and got pissed off and sunbathed in my tshirt. Did one of the best <F5s in yorkshire at Buckstones, 'three'. If you are every walking past it, climb it! Biceps still wierd. Couldn't find 'fat sloper action', shame as it sounds classy. Will re-visit buckstones in the summer with a brush.3

Going to have a day off climbing tomorrow, but seems a shame given the dry weather. Even wrestling with slopey tops on '6A's today wasn't proper rest. Enjoyed exploring local crags, I should have cracked a rope out  Shame there aren't many south facing ones! I need to get a decent brush for my next trip up.
Feel very weak and climbing poorly this week. Not sure how to remedy either. Hoping a rest day will sort me out.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
Fat Sloper Action is steady to find innit. The block intersects the drystone wall. Pic here if it helps. It's pretty lowball. Block is out for feet.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BX6EtFwjzuS/?igshid=1aj7xbet5yvx5

dunnyg

• forum hero
Cheers, not sure how I missed it  :oops: I am mostly in it for the name.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
Just checked. There is a weird chip on the left which is out, though I'm fairly sure it's not much use anyway.

User deactivated.

• forum hero
0.5-1hr mobility/flexibility routine 6 out of 7 days. Average weight: 84.8kg

M: am - max hangs, pm - max hangs

T: Caley. Repeated the drey 2nd go and then figured out cuddles, which adds a few hard moves into the start of the drey and apparently gets 7C+ but is it really a full grade harder? Borderline i'd say, kind of like the difference between underhand and its extension. I do love all the boulders on that block though as crap as it looks. Drove over to St Ives just to have a look at Gritty Shaker, a very impressive line but it was damp.

W: am - max hangs, pm - rings: banded iron cross work, 1arm pull ups, RTO dips, lever pulls

T: Went to Shipley for red baron roof and had a few goes, but elbows were wrecked from rings the previous night and it was hurting to squeeze at 100% so I decided to leave it. Back to St Ives for Gritty Shaker and came across Will and DunnyG already working it. Remained socially distanced and took the piss out of ab-ripper x for a while until they were finished, then tried all the approved beta from matched on the good bit without much luck before deciding to go for the lank. Heel to hand, then all the span used to throw my right hand over to the good (ish) bit higher up, glorious! (poor quality photo below to show the position). Start making my way up the easy finish to the top, punt off the near the top and miss the mats, elbow dropping the rock at the base and somehow skinning my hand, damn!

F: nothing, ice on the swellbow

S: legs and core stuff - loaded pistol squats, nordic curls, loaded I's, ankle loaded L-sits

S: max hangs, scores down a bit. Apparently resting makes me weaker.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 11:47:59 pm by Liamhutch89 »

gollum

• obsessive maniac
W/C 22/2/21

M - Abs, back and shoulders, stretching and yoga, Max Hangs
T- Abs, density hangs, yoga and stretching, One arm pulls, pinches
W - Abs/core, locks and triceps, yoga, stretches
T - Repeaters, abs, shoulders and isometrics, yoga and stretching
F - Big hold repeaters, abs/core, TRX and pull ups, yoga and stretching
S - Abs, stretching and yoga
S - Abs, yoga, stretch

Bozo’s big reveal and looks like back outside by the end of March, so knuckle down with that as a target. Definitely got a tick list to go at.

M - Begin the day with 5 minute plank. Levers for three sets of around 15 seconds each. 4x1 minute hollow bodies superset with 4x25 ab rollouts.
3x3 pull-ups for max speed followed by 3x45 seconds 90° locks. Strict wide grip front raises with a hold for 3x12. Finish morning’s work with some scapular strengthening exercises.
Do some upper body stretches and then into my yoga for hamstrings routine.
Warm up and then 10 sets of Max Hangs on centre of Beastmaker. All 6-10 seconds with best sets around numbers 7 and 8.

T - Start with abs and 3x3 minute planks. Follow this with flood exercises and then 100 ab rollouts.
Density hangs for six sets, managing to reach 45 seconds on first four sets before dropping off by around 10 seconds for last two.
Do some strengthening exercises for forearm extensors and flexors with a barbell.
Do yoga for hips at the end of the morning session, which is a good way to chill. Followed by middle splits training, which isn’t.
Five sets of OAP. All LH at bodyweight for one rep with varying degrees of good form (all the way to not very good form). RH / Set 1 BWx3, set 2  +2k x1, set 3 +4k x1, set 4 +5k x1, set 5 +2k x2. Go on to do three additional 6k supported sets of 3 reps each with LH to try to redress imbalance, although does feel like it might be permanently weaker due to damage in my youth, but probably best not to let gap get too large. Then  three sets of 10k supported one arm locks working through full, 90° and 120° on each set.
Pinches start with square pinch for six sets of 5 seconds 2x24, 2x25 and 2x26. On flared block do four sets of 6 seconds, starting at 16 and working up to a solid 19k. On Lattice Block do another four sets of six seconds, up to 22k. Have go at lifting 25 at all, but no chance.

W - Five minute plank to start the day. Move on to 5x15 second levers, on which I seem to hold form throughout. Do a final set with ankle weights to see how it goes, think I hold it for around 8-10 seconds. Move onto 3x10 leg raises again using ankle weights and maintaining strict control on the negative. 3x20 second isometric holds in weight vest. 100 slow steady abs roll outs, complete the core work and are most relaxing as I just churn away at the reps.
Work on locks. Start at full lock for 3x30 seconds wearing 10k vest and am really quite surprised to do it, although I am trying quite hard it’s safe to say. Go on to do the same at 90° and 120°, which get progressively less difficult at lower angles but remains pretty tough. Do ring dips to mix it up a bit and finish with 3x3 band supported one arm pulls on LH.
The dreaded yoga for shoulders session.
Some Velocity pulls on a 20mm edge using the Tindeq for 6 sets each hand. Finish with some small edge work to see how that’s going and okay is the answer.
Good stretching session working on pancake and then upper body, including a good set of shoulder dislocates to finish.

T - Try working on 6mm edges again and really struggling, so bite the bullet and go back to the 7mm. Work on repeaters for 6 sets with 5 minutes rest, feels like I could have gone on for a long time at this rate. Put the 6mm edges back on but swapping them around so what was left is now right and give a set of repeaters a go, getting to the last rep before I can’t hold the full 7 seconds, so happy enough with that and restores confidence a bit. Bizarrely unweighted they actually feel worse this way around.
Good rest for fingers, so time to do core. 5 x2 minute planks, floor work and 50 easy roll outs with abs roller.
Move on to more normal repeaters session. Do okay, on two finger stuff have to drop to slightly easier holds half way through but do so in a planned way, not too shoddy after earlier efforts.
Do 3x20 second isometric prone T holds on weight vest, some I-Y-W combinations and some reverse Ys on the TRX. Follow this with 3x10 of a shoulder combination.
Yoga is for the back today and stretching for box splits.
Some strengthening work for calves, gluten and hamstrings to finish training for the day.

F - Start the day with a good plan large hold repeaters, 3x5 minutes of 7 on/3off, but feels steady at 3 sets, so do a fourth, which feels tough and finger stretching afterwards was most welcome.
Move onto core and 5 minute plank. Next is x front lever with ankle weights added for a bit of spice. Back levers for three sets  and 3x10 leg raises going over a stick to get some obliques work as well. A few dragon flags to finish core work, just to check they are still on point. Still can’t quite manage it one armed though.
3x5 prone Is on the TRX, followed by same with Ys and finally Ts, each rep with a hold at the extreme. With Ts effectively do a drop set, 5 with weight and raised feet, 5 with raised feet and 5 with feet on floor and no vest. Next is a superset of 5x10 pull-ups and close grip press-ups, with 10k vest on, nice and slowly does it. Finish conditioning stuff with some scapular work including reverse Ws and wall slides.
Yoga for hands, feet and lower spine. Do some upper body stretching especially focusing on shoulders. Finish with some hamstring stretches, which really are remarkably tight or at least something in the chain is.

S - 20 abs roll outs of the feet, just steady and efficient. Stretching for pancake and yoga for abs.

S - 50 easy roll outs with abs roller. Yoga for climbers session and stretching for box splits and upper body.

Came across a quote recently about how to be the best I can be. “At some point it comes down to who can handle the boredom of training every day, doing the same lifts over and over and over.”
(Clear, James. Atomic Habits (p. 233)) I reckon I do okay in that area.

JohnM

• junky
M - Shoulder stability + core (0.5 units), assisted one arms hangs (BM middle slot - 8.5kg) (0.5 units), weighted 2 arm hangs (5 x 27kg) (0.5 units).

T - AM: Warm up at home (slopers + pockets 0.5 units) Outdoor rock for the first time in over 2 months. Back on my nemesis 8a+ project. Felt much stronger on the moves but couldn't produce a meaningful redpoint as my tips were already burning after trying the moves once. Finished on a classic long 7a that I shook my up, over gripping while standing on glassy feet. PM: Trail run 10km 307m. Offset pullups (20), sling assisted one armers (5 sets of 2 each arm), pulley assisted one armers (5 sets of 1 each arm -9kg) (1 unit).

W - Trail run + hill reps x 3 14.55km 748m.

T - NG PE session 4 sets (1 unit).

F - Trail run 16km 606m.

S - AM: Warm up at home then back on the nemesis 8a+ project. Felt good on the moves again and the skin on my tips was holding up a bit better this time. Someone from the Austrian team was also trying the route which was the first time I had ever seen anyone else trying it. It was good to see that there wasn't some trick I was missing and that the route is just hard. Having seen this girl boulder indoors, she has power to burn but the route was also giving her a hard time. After falling on the last hard move and exchanging goes I had one final attempt which was more to get my draws out as my tips were already weeping. Somehow I got though the lower crux but I felt much fresher at the halfway point where the route leaves the 7c+ exit. This time I managed to climb to the top despite a desperate hand adjustment on the last hard move. Good to finally put this to bed! This route has taken me more tries than any other 8a+. The grading is strange as the hardest part is the lower wall which is shared with a 7c+ meaning it would have been the longest a 7c+ had ever taken me as well if I had taken that exit! It felt every bit at least 8b to me but nobody else seems to think so on 8a.nu so I guess the locals are just too strong! PM: NG PE session 3 sets (0.75 units).

S - 4am get up to for a ski tour up the Kesselspitze before it got to warm. Amazing views from this peak with the western chain of the Austrian alps all in view as well as the spikey Dolomites on the horizon. Struggled with the steepness of the ski down with blocky, icy snow which culminated in stupidly trying to jump off the bank of snow covered river and landing backwards on the back of my head. Saved by the helmet but hopefully no whiplash effects coming out over the next day or so -13.8km 1500m. PM: Repeaters 2 sets of 6 x 6 (6 seconds off, 4 off, 2 minute rest) (1 unit). Weighted pullups (3 x 3 24kg, 4 x 5 15kg, 3 x 8 10kg) (1 unit), weighted finger curls (12mm edge 1 x 100 + 10kg, 2 x 100 + 15kg) (0.5 units), golfers elbow stretches + hamstring stretches.

A pretty solid week but a struggle to fit it all in. Great to get my nemesis project done finally and now I can find a new one! Going to start the week with 2 days rest from climbing training as my fingers are feeling a bit creaky. Hopefully I can get on the 8c project at the weekend but it looks like winter might be coming back.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
Great to get my nemesis project done finally

:2thumbsup:

RobK

• stalker
This time I managed to climb to the top despite a desperate hand adjustment on the last hard move. Good to finally put this to bed! This route has taken me more tries than any other 8a+.

Nice one!!

Wood FT

• forum hero
S - AM: Warm up at home then back on the nemesis 8a+ project. Felt good on the moves again and the skin on my tips was holding up a bit better this time. Someone from the Austrian team was also trying the route which was the first time I had ever seen anyone else trying it. It was good to see that there wasn't some trick I was missing and that the route is just hard. Having seen this girl boulder indoors, she has power to burn but the route was also giving her a hard time. After falling on the last hard move and exchanging goes I had one final attempt which was more to get my draws out as my tips were already weeping. Somehow I got though the lower crux but I felt much fresher at the halfway point where the route leaves the 7c+ exit. This time I managed to climb to the top despite a desperate hand adjustment on the last hard move. Good to finally put this to bed! This route has taken me more tries than any other 8a+. The grading is strange as the hardest part is the lower wall which is shared with a 7c+ meaning it would have been the longest a 7c+ had ever taken me as well if I had taken that exit! It felt every bit at least 8b to me but nobody else seems to think so on 8a.nu so I guess the locals are just too strong! PM: NG PE session 3 sets (0.75 units).

Well done! Do you think the company on the route that day gave you a bit of a boost? Either by way of friendly competition or just a validation that you had the 'right' sequence and so could focus your attention?

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
Elbow felt a bit tweaked from Pumpenhaus so laid off it this week.

Th - Lamp sesh at St Ives. Had a go on Gritty Shaker but connies didn't feel great. Wouldn't mind seeing Liam's photo if the link can be made to work, though not sure I'll make the span if it's what I think it is. We bailed to the Amphitheatre and did the remainder of the obvious lines (bar the hard thing). Skin was pretty worse for wear by the end which was a shame.

Sa - Shipley Glen kid's circuit.

Su - A magical day's ancap/aerocap.

Duma

• forum hero
W/C 22/2/21
Work on locks. Start at full lock for 3x30 seconds wearing 10k vest and am really quite surprised to do it, although I am trying quite hard it’s safe to say. Go on to do the same at 90° and 120°, which get progressively less difficult at lower angles but remains pretty tough.

You must have bionic elbows gollum!

Great to get my nemesis project done finally

Nice one!

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE

Power Club
Mon - PE low 30/30 x10. Tired. Ab full plank with pause 3x5.
Tue - rest.
Wed - afternoon session, bad timing: ate too late. Tired. One foot on PE1, +8, +2, BW. Brilliant stuff. 19° are you kidding.
Thu - lunchtime, clean and press 30/30 finisher 38 kg x3x10; TBDL 30/30 finisher 75 kg x5x10.
Fri - rest.
Sat - Lattice Edge lots of hangs at -4/+4. Overhead squat 5x5 20 kg. Snatch grip DL 5x5 90 kg. Snatch 5x5 40 kg.
Sun - Lattice pick ups 12 hangs at 60 kg. A few reps at 65. Cool. Bar work 5x10. Farmer's static holds 120 kg 30"x6.

JohnM

• junky
Thanks all!

Well done! Do you think the company on the route that day gave you a bit of a boost? Either by way of friendly competition or just a validation that you had the 'right' sequence and so could focus your attention?

Almost definitely for both reasons! Mostly it was good to see that even someone of her calibre was struggling to do the route and that I just had to ignore the grade and try really hard.

tomtom

• forum hero
Well done JohnM!

User deactivated.

• forum hero

Th - Lamp sesh at St Ives. Had a go on Gritty Shaker but connies didn't feel great. Wouldn't mind seeing Liam's photo if the link can be made to work, though not sure I'll make the span if it's what I think it is. We bailed to the Amphitheatre and did the remainder of the obvious lines (bar the hard thing). Skin was pretty worse for wear by the end which was a shame.

I can see the original image, but see if this works from a different host:

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
Mostly it was good to see that even someone of her calibre was struggling to do the route and that I just had to ignore the grade and try really hard.

Nothing like the realisation that you aren't shit to get the job done! Nice one John- did your competitor do it as well?

M - rest. Some core in the evening. Felt nails.

T - finger felt a bit better but didn't fancy one armed hangs so did some two armed max hangs for the first time in ages. I am miles stronger than when I last did these which was pleasing. Worked my way up from 20kg, 10 secs to 37.5kg, 10 secs. Previous PB is about 32 I think. Had a hail mary go at 40kg, which is all the weight I own, and managed about 5 seconds. Main issue with these hangs is the logistical effort of moving all the weight around and the very real risk of crushing my own toes or fingers. Stability hangs to finish.

W - rest.

T - repeaters. Deliberately decided to keep the volume low so went for half crimp hangs on reasonable size edges. Managed a full set of anderson hangs on bottom outside with a base weight of 6.25kg. This is my PB from lockdown 1 so pleased with that. Failed on the very last rep on the 20mm edge, same base weight, but was just fatigued I think. 50 pullups to finish.

F - rest.

S - Turningstone Edge. Out to do a bit of trad with girlfriend. Walked in from new parking, pain in the arse but not too bad really. Did Overton's Arete and got quite pumped. Overton Wall next to it was a very good VS. Finished with Amber Buttress which felt hard and bold for HVS but always hard to tell when you haven't trad climbed in a while. Did Pagen Cross on the way out which was excellent, although a bit sketchy without a pad!

S - Stanton Area. Dropped into Doll Tor first. After a sketchy clean of Valley of the Dolls I wobbled up this and started trying Gathering Storm. This is really good. Took me a while to sort out the start but once I got it consistently the rest was ok. The lower start looked ok but seemed a bit arbitrary so moved on. Did a horrifying f4 arete that felt about E4 and decided to go elsewhere. Went into Crag Z and did Snellen, Mallard and Mallard sit. These are all brilliant and on perfect rock. Really nice day.

Good week. Finger seems to have settled down a bit, touch wood. Feeling more optimistic with some sun about and improving pandemic stituation.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
M - kettlebells. not much, shoulder still tweaky
T- board session. Moderate. managed orange crimp problem quite easily, even to almost matching the top hold. Unprecedented
W - 6.5 K lunchtime run. Felt Saturday's run in legs, Gracilis quite sore afterwards. Bit of stretching in evening, been neglecting it.
T - fingerboard - max hangs.
F- not much, sorted out kit, drove to Braemar
S - Skis and boots on back, biked 7.5km up Glen Derry until we picked up the path up to Beinn Bhreac, uphill boggy walk until we hit snow on  burn line, then skinned up to just short of west top of Beinn Bhreac (east was too bare to bother with) and then over plateau to the dome of Beinn a Chaoriann, lovely (but short) descent on perfect spring snow, then back across the plateau on one of the nicest days I've had in the mountains, whole of Cairngorms clearly visible in every direction. Back over the shoulder of BB, then picked up a burn line that had enough snow (starting with spring snow and ending up more like sorbet!) that took us nearly to the path (16.5 km in total). Just one burn crossing, back to the bikes and back to van. Stunning evening driving back down Deeside, was the moon rise about 6 times behind various hills.
S - walk with kids on the coast, beautiful day.

tomtom

• forum hero
Epic Saturday Chris!!

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
Goal - new (to me) Font 7a outdoors somewhere

M-F: not much, think I did a TRfauX workout one day.

Sat: solo pass so went out to Shipley to put my interpretation of Lurcher Low Traverse to bed - it's the hardest I can make it and it feels like 6c if you a) start low and don't traverse in from the lip and b) don't use an intermediate that's obviously off-line between the crux and the arete. There's scope to join it to the right arete to make a proper super low / super eliminate R-L traverse, but try and I might I couldn't make it work.

Bailed to St Ives to check out Will's new stuff there and got royally humbled. Didn't get up anything, and spent an hour working a 6a in vain.

Sun: kids requested a day climbing, so back to Shipley again to let them loose on the kids' circuit. Think they climbed for about 2 hours! Went up the other end I did a few easy high gap-fillers I haven't done before just to keep ticking over. Great day.

dunnyg

• forum hero
Which 6A stumped you at St Ives? I found the main arete on the left nails, and Will called me names...

JohnM

• junky
Mostly it was good to see that even someone of her calibre was struggling to do the route and that I just had to ignore the grade and try really hard.

Nothing like the realisation that you aren't shit to get the job done! Nice one John- did your competitor do it as well?

M - rest. Some core in the evening. Felt nails.

T - finger felt a bit better but didn't fancy one armed hangs so did some two armed max hangs for the first time in ages. I am miles stronger than when I last did these which was pleasing. Worked my way up from 20kg, 10 secs to 37.5kg, 10 secs. Previous PB is about 32 I think. Had a hail mary go at 40kg, which is all the weight I own, and managed about 5 seconds. Main issue with these hangs is the logistical effort of moving all the weight around and the very real risk of crushing my own toes or fingers. Stability hangs to finish.

I actually don't know if she did it or not. I watched her last attempt but she fell on the "7c+  :lol:" lower half. I was done by midday and went straight back home to train on the finger board  ;)

40kg is good going! That must be well over 150% BW. I am aiming to get to 150% BW by April. I may be able to do it now but I hold back a bit with the added weight as I am never as fresh as I would like to be and I am trying to maintain a strict half crimp. Are you doing any particular grip type or just the one that gets the job done? 

tomtom

• forum hero
I darent load my fingerboard with me and 30+kg.... I’ve tried 25 and it made all sorts of ominous creaks (the board not my fingers!)

SA Chris

• forum hero
Epic Saturday Chris!!

Yeah felt pretty blown by the end. Enjoyed sitting down and sleeping through some good telly with the kids when i got back.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
Which 6A stumped you at St Ives? I found the main arete on the left nails, and Will called me names...

Yeah, the arete off the pocket (Stone Love I think it's called?) - partly being on my own with one pad, and partly scrittle / rock sharpness. Not that I've done it but 6 feels pretty modest for that crux!

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
I'm pretty confident in the grade of Stone Love - more so than the other stuff on the buttress. Apart from Absent Friends it's the only problem there that I flashed. There was a bit of scrittle on the pinch hold but I just readjusted it away and carried on. The pocket is very good so it's just a case of finding your balance (undercut the pocket once your feet are both up). From rewatching the video of me doing it, it looks like you lock into position when you twist your hips to the left slightly, which pulls you nicely into the pinch. I can imagine it feels difficult to commit to if you've only got one pad down!

spidermonkey09

• forum hero

I actually don't know if she did it or not. I watched her last attempt but she fell on the "7c+  :lol:" lower half. I was done by midday and went straight back home to train on the finger board  ;)

40kg is good going! That must be well over 150% BW. I am aiming to get to 150% BW by April. I may be able to do it now but I hold back a bit with the added weight as I am never as fresh as I would like to be and I am trying to maintain a strict half crimp. Are you doing any particular grip type or just the one that gets the job done?

Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised. 167% BW according to my maths. Obviously only one 5 second hang at that weight though so not sure how representative it is! Maybe I will try again tomorrow to see if I can replicate. In terms of grip type I try to be pretty strict with the half crimp. My form was pretty good up to 37.5kg, but started to fail on the 40kg hang, hence i dropped off. Seemed an unnecessary risk to take!

Duncan Disorderly

• Administrator
  • forum abuser
  • Stealth Punter
Back once again....

Some good shit going down this week... Big up yer bad selves!

M: Glorious evening - Horseshit with the GF, managed one F6a before the light went... Board sesh 4-7 move max - full power! Tried reallly hard!
T: Blackberry wall - managed entire traverse from cold... Did a good few laps of bottom half then did it again with a slip or two... Fingers felt worked!
W: Shoulder stability and L Sits on bar
T: Glorious morning - Horseshit with GF, bunch of F5's and F6's... Lovely!
F: Stanage Apparent North - Solos and easy boulders. Have a  crimpy 6C  problem that I tend to use as a benchmark for how my fingers are doing; when they're doing good I can flash it, when they're not it takes a while (or doesn't even go!)... Pissed it!... Nice confidence boost.
S: 25+ miles on the bike - only the second time out this year... Glorious afternoon, pretty unfit speed wise but burned 1500 Kcals which is great for shifting the lockdown weight... Shoulder stability stuff.
S: Horseshit again - Seem to have no problem getting a belayer to go here! Lovely mileage day - 9 routes up to 6b+...

Great volume week, been feeling tweaky recently so really good just to work on movement and actual climbing on rock... Do feel I need to ramp up the difficulty in the coming weeks but it's feeling good to be building up the endurance without anything actually hurting...

Ace!

dunnyg

• forum hero
I think I would have struggled to commit to the pinch with one pad! I fell off plenty of times before I got up. The pinch is just a little bit scrittly, and I couldnt work out where you would end up if you pinged off. I was similarly humbled on 6A arete at thimble stones. At least they wont be downgraded amy time soon!

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
I darent load my fingerboard with me and 30+kg.... I’ve tried 25 and it made all sorts of ominous creaks (the board not my fingers!)
Lucky you. Flexing my fingers, as of late, makes the same sound of opening a bag of crisps.

SA Chris

• forum hero
Mine sound like someone clicking a handful of Parker pens.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal