UKBouldering.com

Changing Careers (Read 5210 times)

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#25 Re: Changing Careers
February 24, 2021, 10:48:59 am
Thanks again to everyone who has posted comments on here, (I'm genuinely touched, although I don't want to be too cheesy about it!
I had been getting extremely low in mood about my prospects and the relative wisdom of having left a totally secure job. I am feeling considerably more positive now, thanks to all of this advice.
I hope it might help anyone else who's in a similar situation or who's thinking of changing careers.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#26 Re: Changing Careers
February 24, 2021, 11:10:03 am
After it being initially daunting, I found it quite liberating and pleasantly reckless throwing in a job I hated and forcing myself into a situation where I have to find something new to do. Hopefully you can move to this mindset soon.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#27 Re: Changing Careers
February 24, 2021, 11:26:33 am
One other point - the prospect of freelancing/ self-employment 'insecurity' often seems daunting to those used to a guaranteed monthly wage. Don't be put off, it's no big deal.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#28 Re: Changing Careers
February 24, 2021, 11:30:15 am
One other point - the prospect of freelancing/ self-employment 'insecurity' often seems daunting to those used to a guaranteed monthly wage. Don't be put off, it's no big deal.

This^  You really get a better understanding of how to manage your cash flows when you don't know if you will have work for 6 weeks or 4 months.  (note, I'm not talking gig economy, more experienced freelance / contracting).

I left a secure engineering job, and spent 3 years contracting. Was rarely, if ever, stressed about money.

James Malloch

• forum hero
#29 Re: Changing Careers
February 24, 2021, 12:04:51 pm

This^  You really get a better understanding of how to manage your cash flows when you don't know if you will have work for 6 weeks or 4 months.  (note, I'm not talking gig economy, more experienced freelance / contracting).

I left a secure engineering job, and spent 3 years contracting. Was rarely, if ever, stressed about money.

I did similar - left a secure finance job - and I'm currently 18 months into contracting.

I didn't have much in the way of outgoings (we lived on a boat which was nearly paid off) and no kids. I thought of it as if I lasted 3 months in this contract, and it took another 3 months to try and find something else, I'd end up in an equal (ish) position as if I'd spent 6 months at my old work.

I did get a bit stressed by this until I actually started (and when big changes like IR35 and covid hit) but my line of work isn't too difficult to get something lined up (if you can be flexible on what grade you enter at etc.).

It's given me much more freedom whilst doing the same work which I enjoyed (minimal meetings, no management responsibility, no "extra curricular" things to try and get a better bonus rating etc. There's obviously less certainty but I'm much much happier for it. The lack of break in my contract also means I've been able to save a big chunk of money which will fund a long trip once travel is allowed again (+ the house we've been able to buy).

I need to start thinking more about pensions again but My plan was to use a year or two of contracting to save up and have some fun before going back perm. However I'd love to keep this up longer term so now I need to start thinking about boring things again...

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#30 Re: Changing Careers
February 24, 2021, 12:25:52 pm
I turned it into a way of life...

Genuinely, though, I simply find project work far more exhilarating and satisfying.
I generally don’t get that same energy with “day to day” stuff. Even when I’ve worked for companies, it’s been best in a trouble shooter role. Parachute me in when the shit hits the fan and I’ll give you 24 hrs a day until all the shit is back in one sock, then leave me be for a week or two (I did once go thirteen months with only two rest days, but there was a lot of shit).
Anyway, it’s good crack, a beginning a middle and an end; makes for a satisfying life.

Until the warranty work appears...

MischaHY

• obsessive maniac
#31 Re: Changing Careers
February 24, 2021, 01:36:37 pm
Thanks again to everyone who has posted comments on here, (I'm genuinely touched, although I don't want to be too cheesy about it!
I had been getting extremely low in mood about my prospects and the relative wisdom of having left a totally secure job. I am feeling considerably more positive now, thanks to all of this advice.
I hope it might help anyone else who's in a similar situation or who's thinking of changing careers.

Yeah I've also found it motivating to read actually. Definitely gave a few directions to look in as I have a 'similar' CV in some regards.

TobyD

• forum hero
#32 Re: Changing Careers
February 24, 2021, 02:00:54 pm

Yeah I'm not too stressed about it, I own a flat outright, no kids, few significant overheads at all really, just utility bills, car and food.
The benefits of being in lockdown is I'd usually spend money on holidays cinema and cafés but that maybe offset by how easy it is to buy shit online, but I'm trying to minimise that.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#33 Re: Changing Careers
February 24, 2021, 02:44:59 pm
Anything you have put away that will keep the wolf from the door certainly makes the whole experience less stressful.

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
#34 Re: Changing Careers
February 24, 2021, 07:05:09 pm
All roads lead to rope access Toby  :whistle:

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
#35 Re: Changing Careers
February 24, 2021, 10:48:25 pm
All roads lead to rope access Toby  :whistle:

I worked in IT for 6 years after uni and eventually found the Rope Access, oil and gas work which i've been doing for last 10 years.

Ive just re trained onto the renewables side of things as wages have dropped so much in O and G and also IR35 will further drive that down and force more into PAYE roles but without the perks of PAYE. Pretty much my first job has been in Dominican Republic for last 3 months, so it can only go downhill from here. Works with climbing as you only need to work 3 or 4 months a year.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#36 Re: Changing Careers
February 25, 2021, 07:57:40 am
I take it you're now doing blade inspection / repair Adam?

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
#37 Re: Changing Careers
February 25, 2021, 07:38:49 pm
I take it you're now doing blade inspection / repair Adam?

Yep...

TobyD

• forum hero
#38 Re: Changing Careers
March 24, 2021, 10:23:51 am
An update; applying for quite a few jobs, some part time admin type, with the idea that I can continue other things in spare time,  writing endless pitches and trying to get published. No great progress yet, its a slow process. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal