UKBouldering.com

Fingerboarding and different types of finger strength (Read 2505 times)

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
I wanted to get my thoughts straight on this topic and thought it would be good to have a collaborative stab at this to provide a practical guide that doesn’t get too bogged down.

Below is a draft off the top of my head and I’ll edit the text as the thread develops so we can arrive at a current consensus:

The strength in your fingers are mainly generated by the muscles in your forearms which are called flexors. There are two flexors for each finger. Each flexor is anchored at the elbow by a tendon and attached to a finger via a tendon which is kept in place through the fingers by tendon sheaths and five ring shaped pulleys in each finger.

The types of finger strength climbers are mainly interested in are isometric where there is no movement in the fingers ie flexors are under tension but don’t shorten. There are some situations where concentric/eccentric movement is applied such as turning a an open grip into a crimp but regular training of this under load is inadvisable due to the see saw action of tendons against the pulleys. 

There are two types of muscle fibre that make up the flexor - fast twitch and slow twitch muscle fibres. Slow twitch fibres (Type 1) are weaker and need oxygen but can produce force for a long time. The fast twitch fibres, of which there are two types: 2a and 2b, are stronger and work mostly without oxygen. Type 2a fibres can produce high level of force for about two minutes and Type 2b fibres, which are the strongest, last for about ten seconds.

However, you can become stronger by making the individual fibres bigger (hypertrophy). Just over half of the variance in strength between individuals can be explained by their muscle size. 

The other main trainable determinants of strength are tendon stiffness (a stiff tendon transmit more force from muscle the contractions to the limbs), coordination between muscles, how large proportion of the muscle is recruited, the rate at which signals to muscles are sent, and specific tension (the ability to transfer strength through a muscle).

The complicated energy systems supplying the muscles and flushing out waste products also play a part especially with finger endurance which is very trainable. Finally the stiffer your tendon the quicker you can apply force to a hold because of the reduced stretching (however it’s thought that stiffer tendons lead to a greater risk of injury).

These are the main types of finger strength

Rate of force development / Explosive strength This is the power component - how quickly you can apply force when for example latching a hold dynamically

Peak/Maximal force This is the maximum amount of force you achieve during any given hang

Strength Endurance Not strictly strength but how you can apply force under different levels of fatigue, during long hangs or after incomplete rest.

Below are the main types of fingerboard exercises:

Max hangs: Hanging at your limit provides major stimulus for both neural development and hypertrophy. Downside is that it requires a lot of recovery time. 

Sub Max hangs: As above but less stimulus and can be done more often

Recruitment pulls: Also called overcoming isometrics. With this you apply full force for the duration of the hang whilst feet remain on the ground to train force development when pulling on a hold often combined with the next exercise

Speed pulls / Velocity hangs: Short and intense with the main impact to improve the speed of muscle recruitment and increase tendon stiffness to reduce the time to generate high force (ie improving contact strength to latch a hold)

Density hangs: Long duration hangs promotes hypertrophy and increases the density of connective tissue for injury prevention purposes. Reduces tendon stiffness

Repeaters: Trains strength endurance

Other factors

Grip types: Finger strength proportionally varies between individuals (sometimes dramatically) depending on grip type. There are three main types of grip when using all four fingers on a fingerboard: Full crimp, half crimp and drag. The half crimp is thought to be the best overall training grip as there is more training crossover to full crimp and drag. However, ideally all grip types should be trained as well as deployed when climbing

Antagonists
Sometimes strength development is held back by weak antagonists. With the fingers this would be the extensors. Standard extensor training is normal and reverse dumbbell wrist curls. There seems to be a big market for alternative gizmos.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 01:33:36 pm by shark »

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
Forewarn musculature is pretty complicated with flexor carpi muscles generating force at the wrist as well flexor digitorum. So you are looking at flexor carpi ulnaris, flexor carpi radialis, palmaris longus which attaches to the fibrous band across the palm called flexor retinaculum, and pronator teres. And then stability comes from extensors whose weakness may have an inhibiting factor for the flexors. It’s interesting to look into.

Whilst I understand type 1 or 2 fibre proportion is genetically determined I believe that is not the whole story and production of new tissue responds to load patterns and so is not completely fixed.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
Hi Jon,

I’m just looking to provide an overall introduction then the practical application for fingerboard training. Open to any suggested edits you might have that don’t get it bogged too down

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
 :thumbsup: In any case the application remains the same though perhaps extensors should not be forgotten when strengthening flexors.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
though perhaps extensors should not be forgotten when strengthening flexors.

Is that trained negatively when your crimp melts during a Max hang?  ;D

More seriously what’s the basis for training extensors and how do you do it?

Dexter

• obsessive maniac
I think the rubber ring things that you open your fingers under tension is the standard thing for extensor training but I have no idea of anything more detailed than that.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
I am really no expert! Anything that opens fingers against resistance- Theraband, rubber finger thingy... Dumbell wrist raises palm down, think Gresh may have a few recommendations for that sort of thing.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Are fast pulls and speed pulls the same?

I would have though steep hard board bouldering would be a lot more effective to develop fast twitch  / contact strength than anything on a fingerboard? Or are we staying clear of that here?

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
Are fast pulls and speed pulls the same?

Not heard of fast pulls (are you thinking of fast pull-us?). Tyler Nelson also refers to speed pulls as velocity pulls in the same article   

I would have though steep hard board bouldering would be a lot more effective to develop fast twitch  / contact strength than anything on a fingerboard? Or are we staying clear of that here?

Yes - was just looking to identify what fingerboard exercises were useful for training which aspects of strength.

Having said that I found speed pulls more effective than anything else I've done for improving contact strength including campusing.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix

Not heard of fast pulls (are you thinking of fast pull-us?). Tyler Nelson also refers to speed pulls as velocity pulls in the same article   

Don't know, I just get a bit overwhelmed by all the choices. I generally just stick with repeaters and max hangs and hard board bouldering.

tomtom

• forum hero
Just to make your own mark in the field Shark, I think you should re-name all the grip types and exercise types.

Just for fun obvs.... :D

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal