UKBouldering.com

Unexpectedly Banging Blocs (Read 5542 times)

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
Unexpectedly Banging Blocs
January 27, 2021, 10:24:11 am
The counter thread to the original (https://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php/topic,31090.0.html). Which problems are overlooked, unattractive, unpopular, or otherwise disdainful which you found to be unexpectedly delightful?

User deactivated.

• forum hero
#1 Re: Unexpectedly Banging Blocs
January 27, 2021, 10:34:54 am
I predict there will be plenty of limestone non-lines in this thread, but in terms of standalone blocks, I thought the drey at Caley climbed great despite looking pretty uninspiring.

Also at Caley, the un-named problem to the left of New Jerusalem that inexplicably gets 7C on UKC, but is perhaps 1 grade harder than New Jerusalem. Equally as good but has 6 ascents on UKC vs 365 for NJ.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 10:41:38 am by Liamhutch89 »

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#2 Re: Unexpectedly Banging Blocs
January 27, 2021, 10:37:26 am
Sure there's more, but one off the top of my head...

Fall In (6a) at Almscliff - the bulging arete right of Morrell's Wall, taking the slotty crimp thing in your left hand. Really good, and I've never seen anyone else bother with it.

HarryBD

• player
#3 Re: Unexpectedly Banging Blocs
January 27, 2021, 10:55:06 am
I predict there will be plenty of limestone non-lines in this thread, but in terms of standalone blocks, I thought the drey at Caley climbed great despite looking pretty uninspiring.

Also at Caley, the un-named problem to the left of New Jerusalem that inexplicably gets 7C on UKC, but is perhaps 1 grade harder than New Jerusalem. Equally as good but has 6 ascents on UKC vs 365 for NJ.

Another one at Caley next to New Jerusalem: Cruel Crack. Some horrifically sharp looking pebbles in there but you can just place your jams carefully to avoid them and layback a couple of moves. I think it endeared itself to me as I flashed it while Rich could barely get off the ground and tore holes in the back of his hands.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#4 Re: Unexpectedly Banging Blocs
January 27, 2021, 11:03:13 am
There's a problem at la Pedriza, can't find the name at the minute... it's a lone porthole /scoop about 18'' wide sitting 10' up a wall.  You take a running jump and mantel. Looks daft; it's brilliant.

HarryBD

• player
#5 Re: Unexpectedly Banging Blocs
January 27, 2021, 11:08:46 am
There's a triangular slab below Parker at Shipley Glen that has a big rising ramp from R - L. The eliminate traverse that ignores this staying low and using a small flake that feels like it's about to snap has some brilliant movement on it.

tomtom

• forum hero
#6 Re: Unexpectedly Banging Blocs
January 27, 2021, 11:23:05 am
Expect you may get quite a few shuffles and lowballs in here!

Baldstones Traverse. Looks distinctly average - but has some great moves in it (and two cruxes). Also just starts to test endurance enough to get fingers to start uncurling and get you worrying, but not enough to make it an endurance fest.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#7 Re: Unexpectedly Banging Blocs
January 27, 2021, 11:25:20 am
There's a triangular slab below Parker at Shipley Glen that has a big rising ramp from R - L. The eliminate traverse that ignores this staying low and using a small flake that feels like it's about to snap has some brilliant movement on it.

I can't think whether I've done that. I'll have to do that next time I'm there.

I'm sure I can think of more, but Racing Raymond is one that stands out to me. Quarried arete that doesn't get much press, in a small scruffy quarry. The movement on it is perfection.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CHClSMvjYLB/

Everything on this slab that you can pass on an approach to Simon's Seat. Practically unheard of in the region, but a stunning collection of highball slabs.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BqVkItihF0N/

Addio Arete at Ruin Bank Woods. Completely without any hype. Looks a bit green and tatty but just insanely good.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BiAgnXZDiaZ/

Loads and loads of stuff in the 5s and 6s at Earl. The quality is not exactly unknown, but I don't think there's many places you can have such an enjoyable warm up. It's a circuit which doesn't seem to be on the radar for most 5th and 6th grade crushers. Case in point would be Ron's Groove. A 3-star 5+ Ron Fawcett problem which has one other tick besides mine in the UKC logbooks  :???:

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#8 Re: Unexpectedly Banging Blocs
January 27, 2021, 11:39:58 am

Everything on this slab that you can pass on an approach to Simon's Seat. Practically unheard of in the region, but a stunning collection of highball slabs.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BqVkItihF0N/

That looks amazing, just my cup of tea..

Danny

• junky
#9 Re: Unexpectedly Banging Blocs
January 27, 2021, 11:41:40 am
Expect you may get quite a few shuffles and lowballs in here!

Yep. Years ago, when I was first getting into climbing, I remember seeing some boulderers trying Fear of a Slopey Planet in the Pass. I burst out laughing at the very sight, which struck me as massively comical against a backdrop of bigger boulders and grand crags. Anyway, about a year later, after getting into bouldering a bit more, I went over to do it. I ended up really enjoying the holds, rock texture and movement. It suddenly struck me as better than everything on the Cromlech boulders, despite being a bit arse-draggy.

Ged

• junky
#10 Re: Unexpectedly Banging Blocs
January 27, 2021, 11:51:32 am
Gravitron at the beach at Ansteys Cove.  Looks like a bum dragging shuffle on sharp holds, and kind of is, but is also an excellent PE test with consistent moves and a satisfying top

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#11 Re: Unexpectedly Banging Blocs
January 27, 2021, 12:24:43 pm
Radium Traverse, Woodhouse. Looked like, and indeed was, crabwise ledge shuffling with vaguely eliminate handholds, but turned out to be an epic voyage of shuffling, teetering, sweating and balancing. I felt older, if not wiser, by the end of it.

Alex-the-Alex

• menacing presence
#12 Re: Unexpectedly Banging Blocs
January 27, 2021, 01:01:43 pm
This is a much more positive thread! There's so many bumscraping 3 move wonders that have turned out to be so much better than they look. Ahab at Brimham came to mind. Great movement and lovely slopers all squeezed in to 2m. Voyeur at Plantation similarly doesn't look much but great to climb.

Lots of unsung gems too, but Brown Beck has a whole crag of them. Mariachi, Lunacy, Controlled Burning and that whole wall. And it's only a 40 min stroll. Does a whole crag count?

tomtom

• forum hero
#13 Re: Unexpectedly Banging Blocs
January 27, 2021, 01:14:08 pm
This is a much more positive thread!

Yes - absolutely. Excellent.

Ross Barker

• menacing presence
  • Deathly afraid of traverses
#14 Re: Unexpectedly Banging Blocs
January 27, 2021, 01:40:37 pm
I was pleasantly surprised by Snapper at Nesscliffe. Named not because of snappy rock, but snappy fingers.

Doesn't look like much but has really interesting moves on shallow monos and undercuts!

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#15 Re: Unexpectedly Banging Blocs
January 27, 2021, 01:52:48 pm
There are so many good unsung probs, hard to pick out particular besties.
As a general rule I tend to find the probs I enjoy the most have a few notable ‘flaws’ by the exacting standards of purity people seem to like to apply. Lines with perfect aesthetics, rock, landing, a strong inescapable line, well defined start and finish – are so vanishingly rare that they’re never likely to have moves as attractive as the packaging. The inevitable polish and undergrade don’t tend to help much either. Whereas there are so many ‘slight second’ problems which have amazing moves if you can think beyond the crouch start, eliminate rule, tight line, or whatever. There’s nothing more blandifying than an insistence on everything being just so.

dunnyg

• forum hero
#16 Re: Unexpectedly Banging Blocs
January 27, 2021, 02:10:30 pm
Time, and time after time, both at west chevin. Fewer than 10 ticks.
Time is a cool 6A boulder problem arete, with high feet. Feels like it should be way harder, but somehow just works. Continuing to top out gets you an e1 tick, but it is easier. A little un nerving and you can escape the top if you want, but a good feeling when you go for it.

Everyone walks past to do eat the light, or warms up on the oposite wall!

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#17 Re: Unexpectedly Banging Blocs
January 27, 2021, 02:28:38 pm
Brown Beck has a whole crag of them. Mariachi, Lunacy, Controlled Burning and that whole wall. And it's only a 40 min stroll. Does a whole crag count?

I had a brilliant day there, fantastic variety of height and features for a small(ish) crag. Did a few new things too, which were added on smartboysonline when it still existed, but never got into the new guide. 40 mins is roadside by Scottish standards!

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#18 Re: Unexpectedly Banging Blocs
January 27, 2021, 02:43:50 pm
Sypeland has a few belters which are pretty under the radar. Ramble On escaped notice until 2010. I seem to remember it being about as perfect an aręte as you're likely to get, bounding a broad chimney-crack effort. A proud height. Techy wizardry. Bliss.

Tiggers Can Fly. A Jerry Peel problem I think. Scrittly as hell but so worth rolling through it. Between you and me there's a little box on top with a notepad and an old blunt pencil in it - left there by the late, great Tony Barley. Signed by him, Jerry Peel, Tom Peckitt and not many others. A really special place full of old ghosts.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
#19 Re: Unexpectedly Banging Blocs
January 27, 2021, 03:51:43 pm
Elephants eye at Baldstones. Inoccuous looking variant with a brilliant, committing  and improbable feeling crux move. Little gem.

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#20 Re: Unexpectedly Banging Blocs
January 27, 2021, 04:13:36 pm
Did that recently, disappointed that the start is up the Ear but that was soon dispelled by the move out of it. Then a bit of a spicy pad to finish.  So good.

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
#21 Re: Unexpectedly Banging Blocs
January 27, 2021, 04:22:26 pm
 Cosine Alternative at Pex Hill. The counter diagonal to the permanently popular Bermuda Triangle is equally as good but very rarely gets done. 11 logged ascents Vs 67 for Bermuda.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
#22 Re: Unexpectedly Banging Blocs
January 27, 2021, 04:35:25 pm
Elephants eye at Baldstones. Inoccuous looking variant with a brilliant, committing  and improbable feeling crux move. Little gem.
innocuous ffs.
Cosine alternative is a good problem, can't compete with the first move of Bermuda though. To be fair, everything at Pex a) looks intriguingly technical and b) climbs much better than it looks.

(Except MacArthur Park, which is rubbish)

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#23 Re: Unexpectedly Banging Blocs
January 27, 2021, 04:39:53 pm
You could probably drop all of Pex Hill and the wall climbs at Harmer's Wood into this thread. I've always liked a blank-looking wall but can understand that they aren't so striking to some. The quality of the climbing though: my God.

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
#24 Re: Unexpectedly Banging Blocs
January 27, 2021, 04:52:06 pm
innocuous ffs.
Cosine alternative is a good problem, can't compete with the first move of Bermuda though.

It's not as hard, but more sustained climbing all the way.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal