UKBouldering.com

Anyone have a mobile phone to sell?! (Read 2272 times)

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
  • Dave Thomas is an annual climber to 1.7m, with strongly fragrant flowers
  • Don't die with your music still inside you ;)
Anyone have a mobile phone to sell?!
January 26, 2021, 10:24:02 pm
Hi folks.

After the recent demise of my smart phone, and subsequently falling prey to fraud, I thought I'd post here in case anyone had a half reasonable/slightly out of date handset they'd be willing to sell.

I had a Moto G5 previously, and things have moved on a bit. I have a very kind and generous offer to borrow one from Simes on this channel, but will need one permanently.

As an aside, I'd just like to mention, Vodafone have been very good in their response to the recent fraudulent sale (see Owt for Nowt), while 3 have been terrible - only being able to speculate on their unsolicited contact with me at the same time, seemingly unwilling to verify whether it was because of any contact from a third party. 3 had previously denied all knowledge of repeated notification of password reset requests - which miraculously stopped when I brought it to their attention.

Any help with the above, really gladly accepted. Thanks.

..off to Broomgrove  :2thumbsup:

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#1 Re: Anyone have a mobile phone to sell?!
January 26, 2021, 10:45:31 pm
I’ve got an old handset you can have Dave. In the loft; will have a look tomorrow.

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
#2 Re: Anyone have a mobile phone to sell?!
January 26, 2021, 11:51:15 pm
I’ve got an old handset you can have Dave. In the loft; will have a look tomorrow.

Hi Jon.

Really kind offer. How old is it?
I've got an old HTC, which I'm using now, but the software is too old to update, so I'm looking to get something a bit more up to date than my last one, so happy to buy something a bit "last year", but serviceable currently.

That said, any recommendations on handsets below £140 would be great to hear about.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

bigironhorse

• junky
    • YouTube
#3 Re: Anyone have a mobile phone to sell?!
January 27, 2021, 08:23:13 am

That said, any recommendations on handsets below £140 would be great to hear about.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

https://www.techradar.com/reviews/moto-g8-power-lite

I just got one of these. Reviews say it's a bit basic but for my uses its great. Very long battery life is the best feature in my opinion. Can do about two days even with a reasonable amount of use. I didn't realise when I bought it but 6.5 inches is pretty huge for a phone screen so don't get it if you want something compact!

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#4 Re: Anyone have a mobile phone to sell?!
January 27, 2021, 09:03:33 am
I bought a xaomi redmi note 9 (128GB) for Mrs Starfish for something like your budget Dave.

It's been great.

It was an odd colour, which I guess is why it didn't cost as much as others

( Amazon link for example only)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08HJLGGX4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_imm_t1_dlC_.2seGb15XH5VR
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 09:10:53 am by lagerstarfish »

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#5 Re: Anyone have a mobile phone to sell?!
January 27, 2021, 10:59:45 am
iPhone 5S Dave, about 5 yrs old. Comes with super robust rubber case ;)

HarryBD

• player
#6 Re: Anyone have a mobile phone to sell?!
January 27, 2021, 11:03:03 am
I usually get the 'last year' model of iPhone, Pixel or Sony something or other refurbished from music magpie or the like. Massively cheaper than getting new and I've never found the battery goes noticeably sooner than friends' new phones.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#7 Re: Anyone have a mobile phone to sell?!
January 27, 2021, 12:12:01 pm
Huawei handsets are pretty cheap if you buy them SIM free. Direct line to Xi Jinping too if you ever need to chat. Win win.

tomtom

• forum hero
#8 Re: Anyone have a mobile phone to sell?!
January 27, 2021, 12:17:25 pm
I usually get the 'last year' model of iPhone, Pixel or Sony something or other refurbished from music magpie or the like. Massively cheaper than getting new and I've never found the battery goes noticeably sooner than friends' new phones.

If you want a cheap iPhone X - look for ones on eBay with broken face-id. It means you have to put in a code to unlock the phone )as per many) instead of showing it your face - but it’s a really hard and expensive fix (only apple can do it and make it work again). So they typically go for  up to £200 instead of £350-400...

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#9 Re: Anyone have a mobile phone to sell?!
January 27, 2021, 12:19:39 pm
Xaomi Redmi Note 9 $160 new

I've used banggood quite a lot, seems pretty decent.

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
#10 Re: Anyone have a mobile phone to sell?!
January 27, 2021, 01:02:22 pm
Thanks for all the very useful suggestions, recommendations everyone. Really helpful  :2thumbsup:

JR, I'll give you a call a little bit later. I know Matt S in Sheffield is still using a 5S, so I'd have thought perfectly serviceable. I may make Simes an offer for his, but primarily just trying not to pay too much "out of necessity" before shopping around.
Old Rusty Nag  ;D I was considering the G8, so that's really good info. Thanks. (I could join instead of Russia..) It would still feel like a reasonable upgrade on my G5.

Lagers, I'm presuming it was a pink one. I'll check out the link, but yes, sounds great. And I'll check out Huawei Will, thanks.

I use my mobile for the internet hotspot at home, so connectivity is important.

Thanks again everyone. Really helpful.

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#11 Re: Anyone have a mobile phone to sell?!
January 27, 2021, 03:36:35 pm
Huawei handsets are pretty cheap if you buy them SIM free. Direct line to Xi Jinping too if you ever need to chat. Win win.

I've got one of these chinese spy phones. They're great, I will buy again. I paid about £100 and it is up there with the best bargains I've ever found.

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
#12 Re: Anyone have a mobile phone to sell?!
January 27, 2021, 05:32:45 pm

I've got one of these chinese spy phones. They're great, I will buy again. I paid about £100 and it is up there with the best bargains I've ever found.

Thanks Spiders  :2thumbsup:

Really useful to know. I'm borrowing a Lenovo from Simes, but no working camera. Should be able to get online now, to check these out.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal