UKBouldering.com

Walks with views in Peak near Sheffield (Read 3516 times)

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
Walks with views in Peak near Sheffield
January 25, 2021, 11:15:37 am
Any suggestions for something new?

Walks I do regularly or have done recently are:

Park as for Higgar and head to far end of Millstone then up to Winyards then back via Higgar

Robin Hood Inn across Gardoms and loop around via Birchens

Burbage North - valley down path and either back along top of the edge, back up the river or loop up to Higgar or some similar combo from parking just up the road from the Fox House

White Edge looping around along top of Froggatt

Park above Bamford and up to Bamford Edge

Cut throat bridge out to Dovestones or other way to far end of Stanage

Apparent North along Stanage and back.

Along Curbar Edge or Baslow Edge.

Redmires up to Stanage Pole and back

cofe

• forum hero
Do one that takes in the shelter on Rud Hill between Redmires and Ringinglow. Incredible views on a clear day. Will be very muddy in the area though once the freeze backs off. Various loops possible.

Stabbsy

• junky
Redmires car park (before the end of the road, by the last bend), footpath north past Hill 60 to the Head Stone, down Head Stone Bank to Reddicar Hollow and back via Wyming Brook.

Same start to the conduit, turn left out to the little reservoir then narrow path along the wall by Oaking Clough Plantation to High Neb - will be fairly wet in places at the minute.

Park at top of Porter Valley, paths past Brown Edge Quarries up to Rud Hill, past White Stones to Redmires and then retrace your steps or path round Redmires, up the footpath to Knoll Top Farm then follow Fulwood Lane back to car.

T_B

• forum hero
Longshaw loops having parked at end of Stony Ridge Rd before you turn right and head down to The Grouse. Lots of good surfaces (relatively not too muddy at the mo).

Park at Hathersage Rd end of Stony Ridge Road and do a loop around Totley Moor out to Flask Edge trig and drop down to the big cairn due east of it, descending to pick up the path and head back north.

Stabbsy

• junky
White Edge looping around along top of Froggatt

Alternative to this one - park at Barbrook Bridge and follow the tracks east of Big Moor to the swimming spot at Barbrook Resr (think that's what it's called anyway). Cross the stream before the reservoir and there's a narrow track runs along the edge of the moor to Swine Sty at the bottom end of Big Moor. Loop back via White Edge - make sure you take a right turn at the first wall north of White Edge and path leads back to Barbrook Bridge.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
Great stuff duly wadded  :2thumbsup:

Always wondered about Rud Hill/White Stones area but there are no paths marked on the map and it looks like a boggy mess from the Sheffield/Hathersage road

CrimpyMcCrimpface

• player
Park at Ladybower Inn and follow the path up behind it and left for views over ladybower. Seemed like most people take the route to the right as means you are facing Ladybower on the return but the hill is quite steep on the descent. About an hour/1.5 on the shortest circuit but lots of other options up there.

River Loxley trail lovely in late Spring but not grand views.

The walk in for Duke's Seat Buttress has some nice views across the chatsworth estate and you could walk over to that hunting tower

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
Yes taken that path up at Ladybower  - nice alternative approach. Bouldered at Dukes Seat and the views on the walk in are lovely so extending that would be a good one

Stabbsy

• junky
Great stuff duly wadded  :2thumbsup:

Always wondered about Rud Hill/White Stones area but there are no paths marked on the map and it looks like a boggy mess from the Sheffield/Hathersage road
The bit you can see from Sheffield/Hathersage road is a boggy mess - there is a "path" direct from Rud Hill to Stanage Pole, but I only use it in a very dry summer and even then can be a bit soft. The path over this section is further north and you get better views over the reservoirs and beyond. Either follow the footpath from the top of Greenhouse Lane (by the Toposcope) or park near the weather station on Fulwood Lane and you should be able to work it out.

T_B

• forum hero
Another short one (4K ish) is Houndkirk Hill. Park on Hathersage rd in the layby by a small quarry (first lay-by on your right after the left hand bend where Sheephill rd joins). Head up onto the moor via footpath and at the concrete pole keep going left climbing up to eventually meet and follow the remains of a wall until arriving on Houndkirk rd. head north on Houndkirk rd for 1.5km to the bridge, then turn right almost back on yourself and past God’s Spring, dropping into the valley opposite Made in Sheffield. Up onto the top, back to the concrete pole and descend to car.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
This thread is killing me  :'(

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
Yes taken that path up at Ladybower  - nice alternative approach. Bouldered at Dukes Seat and the views on the walk in are lovely so extending that would be a good one
I took in Dukes on a loop the other day. Parked near gate a few hundred metres east of Robin Hood Pub. Follow track above Gun Rock, all the way past Bunkers Hill Wood almost as far as Harland Edge. Follow path down to where it meets the Dukes approach. Walk back to parking via Dukes, Hunting Tower, Dobb and Chatsworth edge and finally via a path running along the stream back to the parking. Decent.

bolehillbilly

• stalker
I took in Dukes on a loop the other day. Parked near gate a few hundred metres east of Robin Hood Pub. Follow track above Gun Rock, all the way past Bunkers Hill Wood almost as far as Harland Edge. Follow path down to where it meets the Dukes approach. Walk back to parking via Dukes, Hunting Tower, Dobb and Chatsworth edge and finally via a path running along the stream back to the parking. Decent.

This is a great walk, lots of rock to look at along the way and some amazing trees too. I think I prefer doing it the other way around personally but you'll want to do it again so try both.

highrepute

• forum hero
  • Blah
We've done a few different loops recently.

Strines. Taking in the tower overlooking strines and Iain's Strines Roof (Sugworth Edge). Lots of options around there.

Blacka Moor. Taking in Wimble Holme Hill various loops possible. Views are back to Sheffield but still nice.

When I lived in Crookes enjoyed walking out towards Rivelin via Bell Hagg, Fox Hagg - good option for you Simon.

T_B

• forum hero

Just a reminder that for culture/music we have the Millennium Gallery, Weston Park Museum and, er, The Leadmill. Oh, there’s the Shepherd Wheel at Bingham Park. Nearly forgot.

Plattsy

• forum hero
Park at Fairholmes and head North on the West side of Derwent Res. At the second switchback head into the tree's and SW up a climb and out on to Birchinlee Pasture. The climb eases and you arrive at Alport Castles for views. At the right time of the year you might be able to watch covids annoying peregrines. Follow the path SE over Rowlee Pasture until you can drop down through trees to Fairholmes.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
When I lived in Crookes enjoyed walking out towards Rivelin via Bell Hagg, Fox Hagg - good option for you Simon.

I did this all the time during the spring lockdown. Huge networks of footpaths that you can link up on both sides of the valley. Many pretty muddy/ mulchy this time of year though.

slab_happy

• forum hero
You may have done these or similar already, but:

Start from Burbage South parking, along the Green Drive, go left when it forks, bridge over the brook, up to Carl Wark, along to Higgar Tor, up to Burbage Bridge, then all the way back down the valley, either on the Green Drive or along the top.

Extended version (took me about three hours the other day, but I'm slow): Longshaw, round the pond, continue to the top of Padley Gorge, up the holloway across the moor that comes out near Surprise View, go all the way along the base of Millstone, then to Carl Wark and continue as previous.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
You may have done these or similar already, but:

Start from Burbage South parking, along the Green Drive, go left when it forks, bridge over the brook, up to Carl Wark, along to Higgar Tor, up to Burbage Bridge, then all the way back down the valley, either on the Green Drive or along the top.

Extended version (took me about three hours the other day, but I'm slow): Longshaw, round the pond, continue to the top of Padley Gorge, up the holloway across the moor that comes out near Surprise View, go all the way along the base of Millstone, then to Carl Wark and continue as previous.

Yes but I park up the road from the Fox House at the large stile and cross the moor to Burbage South quarry. Burb South parking only has a few spaces and a history of break ins.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
Off out to Rud Hill now. Thanks for all the suggestions. Should keep me occupied for a few weeks

highrepute

• forum hero
  • Blah

Just a reminder that for culture/music we have the Millennium Gallery, Weston Park Museum and, er, The Leadmill. Oh, there’s the Shepherd Wheel at Bingham Park. Nearly forgot.

Graves Art Gallery at the top of Library, had many extended lunch time strolls there during my PhD. But yeah, not exactly Manchester.

There's some artwork along the five wiers walk but both the walk and the artwork is forgotten, unloved and generally not very good.

If you want a real change Simon the five wiers walk or the Sheffield canal will really help you connect with Sheffield's industrial past and present.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
If you want a real change Simon the five wiers walk or the Sheffield canal will really help you connect with Sheffield's industrial past and present.

Thanks but no thanks. Having had Forgemasters and other centuries old metal bashers as clients for 15+ years I’ve had my fill of Sheffield’s industrial heritage.

mark20

• junky
The 5 weirs walk is pretty good but you get diverted away from the river and along some main roads at points. I thought the canal was nicer - a bit less industrial and some surprisngly nice spots. The car in the canal scene from Full Monty was filmed along there, and take some bread crusts for the big carp around Victoria Quays.

On the South side of town, up from Meersbrook, Carr Wood & Leeshall Woods to Norton, over the main road, and out around Moss Valley Woodlands to the East of Dronfield, back via Graves Park. Probably a bit muddy this time of year, but beautiful in the Spring when the bluebells are out

Johnny Brown

• forum hero

Which map have you got? The paths on the OS map exist on the ground and pretty dry - really boggy only around the B of Brown Edge Quarries. Don't follow the fence line from the cattlegrid/ Oxstones layby/ turning circle.

Other ideas that haven't been mentioned:

Bretton clough - park at the Sir William road bend, tour the ancient sites - rock basin, ring cairn & cup-marked stone, ruined farm & landslips, Wet Withens stone circle - most of which have great views. There are more paths than the map shows. Offerton edge has similar opposite-to-normal-perspective views and archaeological interest.

Agden Rocher also has great views. Can combine with a lap of the reservoir from Bradfield.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 10:57:17 am by Johnny Brown »

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux

Not much culture/music going on down this neck of the woods.  At least I have Kensal Rise cemetery and the canal to walk and run. Doesn’t compare to all these lovely walks though.  (Sorry Shark, off-topic. I’ll stop now)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal