the shizzle > shootin' the shit

Black Dog Club

<< < (15/15)

sherlock:
Of course it's complicated and we all have different perspectives but it'll give me something to consider in quieter moments...

stone:

--- Quote from: Oldmanmatt on April 14, 2024, 08:36:05 am ---I’ve been off the SSRI’s for three years, but it took some significant lifestyle changes/management to achieve and actually, the cost at home has proved much greater than imagined, so I’m having behaviour management issues when I’m home. Contemplating resuming anti-depressants, but scared of losing my manic, creative, me (who is very useful, if annoying as fuck), since he is my big earner. Really, I wish I could find a way to keep the highs, but avoid the lows and learn when to shut the fuck up.

--- End quote ---
Oldmanmatt, thanks for sharing your perspectives and experience of this. I was struck that you have chosen to come off SSRIs because some aspects of the illness are actually positive for you. That's so interesting.

I'm conflicted because on the one hand I'm always eager to hear other people's experiences of dealing with their mental health and on the other hand I'm spooked that something I may say might inadvertently adversely influence how someone else decides to manage their own mental health. I guess so long as I'm upfront about being clueless, then that hopefully should guard against any such issue.

In my own case I was recommended to take olanzapine. I asked to try and recover without it, not because I found any positive aspect to my symptoms but simply because I had a (perhaps entirely unfounded) wariness of that medication. I was allowed to give it a go. I was told though that if I relapsed I wouldn't have a choice in the matter. It's 14 years on now and thankfully I haven't relapsed. I've no idea whether I took a foolhardy risk that I got away with or whether being assiduous in following a WRAP plan etc meant it was a reasonable choice. Anyway, like I said, I'm always interested in hearing other peoples experiences and the perspectives.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version