UKBouldering.com

Printers? (Read 1832 times)

Paul B

• forum hero
Printers?
January 15, 2021, 04:33:20 pm
Can anyone recommend a small footprint printer?

I've gone for years without having a printer by virtue of being able to print the odd thing in the office, and usually having a massive screen which for work purposes saves me needing to print every drawing I get at A3 (or larger).

I'm currently having the issue that when WFH, I need certain permits in paper form to do my job (to attend site), which means I'd need to drive to Preston just to print something (and then onward to the site in question).

I'm loathed to have something massive as it'll rarely get used (I'd imagine).

remus

• forum hero
#1 Re: Printers?
January 15, 2021, 07:08:17 pm
I havent actually had to buy a printer in yonks so take this with a pinch of salt, but inkjets are pretty universally shit (or at least very poor value for money, requiring frequent cartridge changes which are expensive). If you can be bothered then a brother laser jet is the one to go for, they got great reviews last time I checked and cartridges don't go to shit if you leave the printer sitting around (unlike inkjets).

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#2 Re: Printers?
January 15, 2021, 07:19:11 pm
You can now buy cartridgeless printers, and the ink prices are waay better, but the printers aren't massive loss-leaders to sell ink, so you pay a lot more up front. Anecdotally, it's not a great idea unless you are printing frequently, as the heads are more likely to get clogged and they don't come bundled with the new cartridge....

Paul B

• forum hero
#3 Re: Printers?
January 19, 2021, 01:11:42 pm
I havent actually had to buy a printer in yonks so take this with a pinch of salt, but inkjets are pretty universally shit

OK. So inkjets are generally SHIT, but:

You can now buy cartridgeless printers, and the ink prices are waay better, but the printers aren't massive loss-leaders to sell ink, so you pay a lot more up front. Anecdotally, it's not a great idea unless you are printing frequently, as the heads are more likely to get clogged and they don't come bundled with the new cartridge....

Which is a SHIT idea if I'm not printing frequently.

tl;dr = Laserjet is the answer (although fails the small footprint test)?

Thanks both!  :2thumbsup:
« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 01:37:11 pm by Paul B »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal