UKBouldering.com

Cricket: just because we don’t have a thread (Read 1208 times)

Dolly

• forum hero
This is not an anti Aussie thread just to differentiate it from the other one
Just generally a pro cricket thing

Here we go
Last Thursday night at Headingley with my 3 cricket mad kids (24 to 15) I watched Yorkshire beat the old enemy in a great Roses game with a bit of some thing for everyone   Great night followed by wraps from Lebanese bites, the best post match snack in Leeds

Post em up if you love cricket
« Last Edit: June 24, 2024, 10:45:42 pm by Dolly »

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters
Got a couple of games coming up next month.
First is the Derbyshire vs Yorkshire T20 at Queens Park in Chesterfield which seems to have become a regular thing.
Second game is Lancashire vs Durham @ Sedburgh which is a ground that features regularly on various cricket grounds you must go to bucket lists for some reason.  ;)

Sedbergh School Cricket Ground by Duane Jones, on Flickr

Also want to get up to Scarborough at some point and see Yorkshire play at Marine Drive. Something for next year that   

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Can the T20 get discussed here? About to get interesting

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
Objectively very, very funny that Aus are out on net run rate after threatening to under perform against Scotland to knock England out.

India are the heavy favourites but they have choked in knockouts a lot lately so England will fancy it. I think South Africa will get over the line against Afghanistan in the other semi before inevitably choking themselves in the final, true to form.

SA Chris

• forum hero
Sadly, very very true.

Stabbsy

• junky
Despite being a lifelong cricket fan, I’d never been to a “proper” cricket match until last year. My first real job was in Lytham where Lancashire played one match a season. You used to be able to leave work and watch the post-tea session for a couple of quid, but I never made it to the annual county championship match while I was there.

Last year, my sister bought me and my Dad tickets to see the Roses match in the Hundred (Manchester Originals vs. Northern Superchargers). Still don’t quite see the point of the Hundred when T20 was a perfectly good format, but it was a great day out - helped by Jos Buttler smashing the ball around and some great bowling from Lancashire Manchester. The women’s match was very tight until the end and finished in a Manchester win as well. I’d recommend it for a good day/evening out when this year’s kicks off.

My Dad’s previous match had been West Indies against Lancashire on a tour match about 60 years previous!

SA Chris

• forum hero
I miss not being able to watch nearby. When I lived in Kirkstall Headingly was a short walk away, and the ODIs were always a great day out esp if SA were playing. 

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
Still don’t quite see the point of the Hundred when T20 was a perfectly good format,

Basically because 18 counties is far too many teams to run a sensible franchise tournament through, which we desperately needed. Counties are also powerfully unattractive to outside investment because they are member led organisations, which sounds great in theory but in practice the membership of cricket clubs hasn't tended to be...forward thinking, shall we say. I think the Hundred will become a T20 tournament in a few years but the new teams are here to stay; I like them and have several friends who have only got into cricket through the Hundred. Great day out if anyone is considering it and great valkue as well; 30 quid for 2 games most of the time.

Dolly

• forum hero
Objectively very, very funny that Aus are out on net run rate after threatening to under perform against Scotland to knock England out.

India are the heavy favourites but they have choked in knockouts a lot lately so England will fancy it. I think South Africa will get over the line against Afghanistan in the other semi before inevitably choking themselves in the final, true to form.
Aussies out because they only got 2 points :)
NRR wasn’t needed

Stabbsy

• junky
Still don’t quite see the point of the Hundred when T20 was a perfectly good format,

Basically because 18 counties is far too many teams to run a sensible franchise tournament through, which we desperately needed. Counties are also powerfully unattractive to outside investment because they are member led organisations, which sounds great in theory but in practice the membership of cricket clubs hasn't tended to be...forward thinking, shall we say. I think the Hundred will become a T20 tournament in a few years but the new teams are here to stay; I like them and have several friends who have only got into cricket through the Hundred. Great day out if anyone is considering it and great valkue as well; 30 quid for 2 games most of the time.
Just to qualify my statement, I’ve got no problem with the franchise model and agree with you in terms of number of teams. My comment related purely to the 100-ball format and the 5-ball “sets”. Stick to 20-overs, we know it works already.

SA Chris

• forum hero
before inevitably choking themselves in the final, true to form.

twat :)

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
Pretty awful choke it has to be said. Needed 26 off 26 with 6 wickets left and conspired to throw it away. Bumrah was unbelievable but hard to find adequate reasons for such a cockup. For me the game shifted when Klaasen nicked off - all of a sudden India could block up an end and Miller just couldn't get on strike. India deserved winners but that will sit with SA for a long time. What is it about the SA sporting psyche that allows their cricketers to be so awful under pressure and yet their rugby team are absolute winning machines?

SA Chris

• forum hero
Not a clue. Your analysis pretty much spot on, incredibly frustrating

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
    • The Works, it's the Bollocks
Looking forward to the development of the new sports ground at Meadowhead (in Sheffield), apparently YCCC will play there at least once a year (any info Dolly?).

(It's staggering distance from my house).
« Last Edit: July 12, 2024, 07:37:13 pm by GraemeA »

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
    • The Works, it's the Bollocks
And today seems an appropriate day to have one last rousing chorus of:

Oh Jimmy Jimmy
Jimmy Jimmy Jimmy Jimmy Anderson

Shame he couldn't overhaul Warne but still, taking 3 wickets in a Test aged very nearly 42 is just fucking outrageous. 704 wickets for a seamer, wow, just wow.

But out with the old, in with the new. 10fer on debut for Atkinson, maybe Jimmy's record might be challenged in a couple of decades.

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
A monumental career and a good way to end. It was time; he wouldn't have hacked it in Australia in a few years time and we need to get overs into younger bowlers. Excited to see how the attack will change over the next little while. Potts, Pennington, Sam Cook and Jamie Porter will all be in the picture as well as the pace of Wood and Archer. Think we will probably pick woakes this summer but then not next year, as he's another who hasn't travelled well in Australia previously.

Dolly

• forum hero
Looking forward to the development of the new sports ground at Meadowhead (in Sheffield), apparently YCCC will play there at least once a year (any info Dolly?).

(It's staggering distance from my house).
No I didn’t know about that TBH. I haven’t seen anything in club mails. That would be ace though

mark20

• junky
I can't help but feel it would have nice to let Jimmy play a couple more tests, and go out to home crowd at Old Trafford, possibly beating Warne's wicket tally on the way. But what a player, and seemingly nice bloke.
Also been enjoying following the England Womens team who are doing well at the moment, aiming for the series whitewash in the 5th and final T20 against NZ on BBC2 Wednesday evening - should be worth a watch.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal