UKBouldering.com

'Buy the Dip, Sell the Rip'.. The Investor's Thread (Read 113351 times)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Love that someone is prepared to take punts like that. I must admit to being totally risk averse!

petejh

• forum hero
#1 Re: Topic split: Investment thread
January 14, 2021, 11:57:48 am
Any interest in starting an investing thread? Could be general, or targeted at stuff more palatable to many on here - EVs, new battery tech, low carbon energy etc. (although much money to be made from the mining required to make these technologies work).

205Chris

• forum hero
#2 Re: Topic split: Investment thread
January 14, 2021, 11:58:35 am
Any interest in starting an investing thread? Could be general, or targeted at stuff more palatable to many on here - EVs, new battery tech, low carbon energy etc. (although much money to be made from the mining required to make these technologies work).

Yes  :goodidea:

csl

• junky
#3 Re: Topic split: Investment thread
January 14, 2021, 12:29:43 pm
/r/ClimbingWallStreetBets coming right up  :lol:

36chambers

• forum hero
#4 Re: Topic split: Investment thread
January 14, 2021, 12:34:23 pm
buy high, sell low.

But most importantly hodl.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#5 Re: Topic split: Investment thread
January 14, 2021, 01:09:33 pm
Any interest in starting an investing thread?

Pete’s big tips?

Coops_13

• forum hero
    • YouTube
#6 Re: Topic split: Investment thread
January 14, 2021, 01:34:47 pm
buy high, sell low.
this. Lemme just get my referral links ready  :alien:

36chambers

• forum hero
#7 Re: Topic split: Investment thread
January 14, 2021, 02:07:12 pm

But yeah, I would be interested in this. Although I wouldn't have much to contribute.

Bradders

• forum hero
#8 Re: Topic split: Investment thread
January 14, 2021, 02:29:51 pm

Yes interested, although my investing is based much more around macro trends than looking at individual stocks, and my risk profile is considerably lower(!) than yours. 

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#9 Re: Topic split: Investment thread
January 14, 2021, 02:36:30 pm
Can we book out a big lecture theatre somewhere? Get Pete to stand at the front and get us all whipped up and then we'll all start shouting "SEIZE EVERY SALE, CLOSE EVERY DEAL" etc. Then we'll each get handed a hundred copies of "North Wales Limestone" to flog with the promise that we'll be making $2000 a day.

tomtom

• forum hero
#10 Re: Topic split: Investment thread
January 14, 2021, 03:00:19 pm
“Pete’s Predictions”
Sagely stock market sureties from UKB’s pivotal contrarian fiscal genius PeteH.

😁

Though Ponzi starts with a P too... ;)

Footwork

• forum abuser
  • Living With Wads
    • Living With Wads
#11 Re: Topic split: Investment thread
January 14, 2021, 03:58:49 pm
Can we book out a big lecture theatre somewhere? Get Pete to stand at the front and get us all whipped up and then we'll all start shouting "SEIZE EVERY SALE, CLOSE EVERY DEAL" etc. Then we'll each get handed a hundred copies of "North Wales Limestone" to flog with the promise that we'll be making $2000 a day.

;D yeah but we have to buy the books from Pete first and can't flog them on Amazon

AndyR

• forum hero
#12 Re: Topic split: Investment thread
January 14, 2021, 04:12:58 pm
Which company was/is it?

(Off topic)
Greatland Gold was the biggie.
I’m also doing well with a small British company called Ilika that grew out of Southampton university research, they have patents on their solid state battery technology, and hope to be producing solid state batteries for EVs and other uses like IoT.
If/when solid state batteries can be commercially produced it will be the next evolution for EV and internet of things. The brexit EU trade deal was actually good for this - as a direct result from 2024 vehicle manufacturers must source at least 50% of vehicle parts from within the UK or EU. Because batteries are too heavy to be easy to mass transport it means the UK is rushing to ramp up domestic EV battery production. Ilika has benefitted from a government programme to support production at scale.
Nickel sulfide miners also doing very well out of the EV revolution, due to the increasing amount required for the battery cathodes.
And many believe Tin will be the fastest growing commodity in the coming EV and tech evolution due to the amount required in chip boards. Shortages currently in the US. (off topic)
Nice looking 2 year chart for Greatland - good find!

petejh

• forum hero
As suggested.. For people to share info, ideas and experiences from the investing world.

Nothing posted on this thread constitutes investment advice!

Don't believe anything you read here, except this bit ;)
Do always do your own research.
And never forget the investment world is full of people whose job is the skilled pumping or shorting of stocks by playing on your fear, greed and FOMO. They don't care if you lose all of your investment.

I'll add stuff later concerning the various topics/sectors that I've focussed on and built up knowledge of over the last twenty years of investing.. some successes and many failures. Hopefully somebody might find something interesting which leads them to research more about it. 

petejh

• forum hero
#14 Re: Topic split: Investment thread
January 14, 2021, 07:19:02 pm
Ah hadn't noticed this.. just started a new thread..

Mods could you either merge this with the new thread, or delete the new one?

RobK

• stalker
Nice one for opening the floor Pete. Will be interesting to hear a different group of people's views. I have briefly dipped in and out of discussions/threads on various investment forums but always found them a bit too much.

To reiterate, nothing posted here is advice. Unless it comes good, then I will want commission.

A lot of my friends often ask me about my investment strategies/options as they are coming to the age (late 20s) where they suddenly start to think that racking up cash savings might not be doing them a lot of good long term. So I thought I would outline here what I usually say to them, in case it is of interest or use to anyone. Sorry if any/all of this is stating the obvious.

My investments generally sit in three tiers. Tier 1 of very low risk/boring stuff that I have no control ever. My workplace pension and managed portfolios (e.g. Moneyfarm, Nutmeg etc.). Not very exciting but useful as a slow burner base.

Tier 2 is the bread and butter. Usually low to medium risk investment funds focused on varies sectors/locales. I find this is where I seem to invest best, where I invest most, and what I will hopefully use to retire on. I think this stuff is pretty hard to fuck up if you're in it for long enough and diversify well.

Tier 3 is the speculation stuff and what I guess is probably of most interest here. Think what Pete did but with nowhere near the same levels of commitment! I have been slowly doing more of this recently though with the view at my age (late 20s) I can afford to take on more risk than I was previously doing. I have had various degrees of success with this, ranging from the utterly disastrous to the mildly successful. I have never put more than 0.75% of my total assets into any one deal, although this has slowly been creeping upwards. I can guarantee I will never do anything on the level of what Pete has done. I am full of admiration, while being totally aware that I would have called him a complete and utter fool for doing so beforehand.

I usually focus on small, innovative tech/engineering (often UK) companies, mainly as it is what I am most familiar with and find things easiest to research/gauge. Companies like Ilika that Pete mentioned in the other thread are the sort of thing I like. I'll try to remember to post things up as and when I come across them. Interested to hear what people are up to and interested in.

205Chris

• forum hero
For the speculation stuff I'm always interested in how it gets onto people's radars.

Are you actively researching this stuff and if so how? Trawling the whole AIM index for opportunities would seem like a full time job.

Currently amazed by the state of the US stock market - I thought Tesla looked overpriced 6 months ago.

tomtom

• forum hero
I’ve made 200% on a modest Bitcoin investment at the beginning of 2020. Got out a bit too early and it’s since gone up even more but hey ho.

Doylo

• forum hero
#18 Re: Topic split: Investment thread
January 14, 2021, 08:21:41 pm
Unpaid author to Millionaire in 6 years. It could be you.

36chambers

• forum hero
I’ve made 200% on a modest Bitcoin investment at the beginning of 2020. Got out a bit too early and it’s since gone up even more but hey ho.

You should never fully leave crypto

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#20 Re: Topic split: Investment thread
January 14, 2021, 09:22:31 pm
 Any thoughts on the looming stock crash due to the all the money printing going straight into investing?

I've got a stocks and shares isa with triodos impact fund (selected companies that fit with their sustainable development / renewables goals) and its up 18% since July. (actually, more than that but I put more in in October, and it's up 18% on total investment).

Sold a load of ethereum that I was "gambling" on early in the year after some sustained rises and then a worrying drop, could face the stress of keeping an eye on it. Should have just let it sit and ignored it but hey, we all have to make decisions at some point!

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
Yeah I sold mine in early Dec keen to finally lock in some profit. Should have left half of it in. Lesson learned!

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#22 Re: Topic split: Investment thread
January 14, 2021, 09:40:37 pm
All the money printing is a main driver of why Bitcoin is so strong.

Ru

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

Be interested to know if anyone still has any good recovery stock ideas at this late stage.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 09:47:56 pm by Ru »

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#24 Re: Topic split: Investment thread
January 14, 2021, 09:52:10 pm
I saw it was at a big dip in march , and had some that I'd sat for 2 years (bought at a stupid time). Decided to double up as the promise of Proof of Stake seemed (and still seems) like a positive development. At one point I was fully "up" on my total amount committed, but then I got reactive (should have had a strategy and stuck to it), then I got fucked by a whale when it dropped 20% and rebounded minutes later, hitting my stop loss.

Started chasing trades and then just slowly got more pissed off. Totally became gambling behaviour, had a word with myself, sold it off and walked away. Fucked off that it's tripled in value since then, but hey ho.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal