UKBouldering.com

Domen Skofic's home wall (Read 7812 times)

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
Domen Skofic's home wall
April 12, 2021, 08:17:09 pm

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
  • Dave Thomas is an annual climber to 1.7m, with strongly fragrant flowers
  • Don't die with your music still inside you ;)
#1 Re: Domen Skofic's home wall
April 13, 2021, 01:57:42 am
Thank you Jwi.

I'm afraid my initial reaction was "That's grotesque".  :no:
Is that what climbing means now?

This is really unfair on Damon Skofic, who is young; talented too. A World Cup winner. Those things are irrelevant.
It feels like his "Self-bubble in the mountains".

I don't know, I associate going into the hills with leaving stuff; having less. Being part of more? Being, more than having. I like the idea of that perhaps making it easier to relate to other people with a lot less.

Other take-aways.

Other people have different ideas of what volume means  ;)
All that space for such a small campus board.
Missing the point  ;D

Right, back on the fingerboard...

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#2 Re: Domen Skofic's home wall
April 13, 2021, 08:45:44 am
Thank you Jwi.

Damn right. FAR too many greens on that wall, the lack of colour balance is quite disturbing.

Durbs

• forum hero
#3 Re: Domen Skofic's home wall
April 13, 2021, 12:59:19 pm
Hayzoos - how much was he paid to climb a chimney stack to afford his own private climbing gym?!

Or does he come from a wealthy family?

Puts SBC's old squash-court gym to shame (whose parents house doesn't have a squash court?)

csl

• junky
#4 Re: Domen Skofic's home wall
April 13, 2021, 01:15:39 pm
Judging by the Instagram account (climbing_ranch) it’s actually planned to be a commercial wall - funded by Domen and Janja Garnbret.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#5 Re: Domen Skofic's home wall
April 13, 2021, 04:22:50 pm
He could participate in the Olympic via Zoom if there’s travel restrictions still in place.

Seems to work for other jobs

Whatthedickens

#6 Re: Domen Skofic's home wall
April 13, 2021, 06:26:42 pm
Far better in a self bubble in a damp Sheffield cellar on some homemade crimps eh Dave

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
#7 Re: Domen Skofic's home wall
April 13, 2021, 08:01:10 pm
Far better in a self bubble in a damp Sheffield cellar on some homemade crimps eh Dave

I read that, and see homemade "chips" instead  ;D .. but, in some sense, yes. If you put down a good membrane/screed to protect from flooding, then your mattresses won't stink of sewage after it rains either  :lol:

Whatthedickens

#8 Re: Domen Skofic's home wall
April 13, 2021, 10:17:45 pm
Plenty of beasts came out of manky cellars right enough, probs better training for a Tor crimp fest

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#9 Re: Domen Skofic's home wall
April 14, 2021, 08:42:33 am
Not least because you're training essential misery, aesthetics-ignoring, and grottiness appreciation  ;D

Wood FT

• forum hero
#10 Re: Domen Skofic's home wall
April 14, 2021, 10:28:51 am
Not least because you're training essential misery, aesthetics-ignoring, and grottiness appreciation  ;D

Just let me know when you need a belay, you’d get on with the central 7cs

Anti

• menacing presence
  • Potato
#11 Re: Domen Skofic's home wall
April 14, 2021, 10:41:38 am
Thank you Jwi.

Is that what climbing means now?

This is really unfair on Damon Skofic, who is young; talented too. A World Cup winner. Those things are irrelevant.
It feels like his "Self-bubble in the mountains".

I don't know, I associate going into the hills with leaving stuff; having less. Being part of more? Being, more than having. I like the idea of that perhaps making it easier to relate to other people with a lot less.

Other take-aways.

Other people have different ideas of what volume means  ;)
All that space for such a small campus board.
Missing the point  ;D

Right, back on the fingerboard...

Why does a man building a climbing centre appear as grotesque to you? I get that you generally like to pontificate on the ethereal nature of climbing in your ideal world but it seems you've taken the 20+ year old view that anything other than suffering on shit lime in the winter is an affront to climbing.

The man's an athlete with olympic dreams. The sport has changed considerably and is now just that - a sport. It's completely disconnected with a bunch of middle class white kids pushing themselves on hard trad and pretending they're transcending reality.

Teaboy

• forum hero
#12 Re: Domen Skofic's home wall
April 14, 2021, 11:01:58 am

The man's an athlete with olympic dreams. The sport has changed considerably and is now just that - a sport. It's completely disconnected with a bunch of middle class white kids pushing themselves on hard trad and pretending they're transcending reality.

Not disagreeing with anything you’ve said but in the interests of balance I think it’s worth pointing out that the sport, in the UK at least, has never been more middle class in the 30+ years I’ve been participating and whilst people no longer pretend to transcend reality they certainly go in journeys and learn a lot about themselves in the process.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
#13 Re: Domen Skofic's home wall
April 14, 2021, 11:20:09 am
Being, more than having. I like the idea of that perhaps making it easier to relate to other people with a lot less.

I have a new avatar for you ;D

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
#14 Re: Domen Skofic's home wall
April 14, 2021, 11:26:25 am
 @Anti - ouch! Did Dave touch a nerve there? His point was pretty straightforward, to be fair. Why did it upset you?

remus

• forum hero
#15 Re: Domen Skofic's home wall
April 14, 2021, 11:32:40 am
I don't know about anyone else, but initially I thought it was a personal wall just for his use and didn't realise it was actually a commercial wall (or will be at some point). As a personal wall it would have been a touch excessive (gotta be at least 50k worth of holds on that spray wall alone!)

Liamhutch89

• forum hero
#16 Re: Domen Skofic's home wall
April 14, 2021, 11:36:11 am
Grotesque is a bit over the top. We live in a country where every other person has a semi-luxury vehicle worth 30+ grand a piece. I'd take the fancy climbing wall and a clapped-out van any day.

Anti

• menacing presence
  • Potato
#17 Re: Domen Skofic's home wall
April 14, 2021, 12:37:24 pm
@Anti - ouch! Did Dave touch a nerve there? His point was pretty straightforward, to be fair. Why did it upset you?

Sorry, upon reflection I come across (probably more than) a bit cunty. I think the general attitude of "was better in the old days when we just had sticks to play with" is something that irks me in general and I often respond poorly to it.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#18 Re: Domen Skofic's home wall
April 14, 2021, 01:03:47 pm
I think the wall looks awesome, love the shape of the building and how this is dictated by the walls inside. Probably more cost effective than a big box with walls inside. Looks like it’s up the road from Ljubljana, so whilst the mountains are the backdrop not far from the city.

I wonder if Dave’s original point stands now we know it’s a commercial project, and not the back yard training facility it’s advertised as in the vid!

Whatthedickens

#19 Re: Domen Skofic's home wall
April 14, 2021, 06:03:38 pm
Thats true Fiend, the Tor would seem like Shangri-la after a winter in the cellar

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
#20 Re: Domen Skofic's home wall
April 14, 2021, 11:59:06 pm

Sorry, upon reflection I come across (probably more than) a bit cunty. I think the general attitude of "I was better in the old days .." is something that irks me in general and I often respond poorly to it.

I'm sure I was.. I think.  :P

Hello Anti  ;D
I should say something with ref to this being nothing to do with the past, but some consideration of what we want climbing to mean as things move forward. That's an open question, with so many things for people to express and consider, and find inspiration in.
There will be new things, disciplines, approaches that I've not considered, that might inform/inspire me. However, I've always found that something more simplistic/aesthetic in climbing does something for me, which steers me away from the more materialistic/consuming/needing more. In that sense, I think I can see trends in climbing as a pursuit, that may well be behind the times in some respects.
Tread lightly may sound a bit old fashioned, but I think it's certainly of the moment.

As a footnote, as mentioned by others above, this did also come across to me as a thread about Domen's personal training facility, in a "look at how big his is" way, which I found ugly. Anti, your post also makes reference to changes, then to now, raising the question perhaps of what we might want climbing to mean, how it might develop etc. Interesting.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 12:10:31 am by DAVETHOMAS90 »

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#21 Re: Domen Skofic's home wall
April 15, 2021, 08:36:05 am

Just let me know when you need a belay, you’d get on with the central 7cs
I'm keen to get back on Obscene Toilet, got quite psyched by that after a brief session  :-[

NoonThunder

#22 Re: Domen Skofic's home wall
April 17, 2021, 11:03:45 pm
Judging by the Instagram account (climbing_ranch) it’s actually planned to be a commercial wall - funded by Domen and Janja Garnbret.

They broke up apparently. he bought her out.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal