UKBouldering.com

Theoretical protocol for lockdown "Local Exercise" (Read 7767 times)

Anti

• menacing presence
  • Potato
The law allows travel for work. If people are sponsored that's work to some extent. Obviously there's a grey area from Shauna/Hazel to a local kid getting shoes at trade cos he knows the local shop owner, but given the amount of non essential work going on atm I think a 30 min drive for a sponsored climber isn't even pushing it. (This from a legislation perspective. Obviously from a transmission perspective climbing outside while socially distanced is effectively risk free)

Thanks. I was wondering if they were able to wing it as work. Makes you wonder why they aren't all doing it and instead telling us how hard they have it being forced on their boards.

tomtom

• forum hero
Sponsored climber is a wide bracket - as plenty of sponsored climbers have full time jobs as well.

We can split hairs, but Climber X who is a teacher but gets free shoes from brand Y and brands their videos accordingly would find it a stretch to say it was their work I’d argue...

Anyway - that’s all a bit moot now and I’m devils advocating a bit there 😁

I reached for the unfollow button fastest where there was obvious climbing as part of a group (multiple spotters) as well as travelling stuff.... anyway, that’s just me etc... I await LooseTools to accuse me of virtue signalling :D
« Last Edit: March 07, 2021, 10:57:29 am by tomtom »

petejh

• forum hero
As a devout non-user of social media I find the compulsion to share on insta or FB everything you climb pretty ridiculous and hard to understand. But then I've never cared what anyone beyond my immediate circle is doing or what they think.

I think there are probably a couple of things going on - most people don't share every other thing they do on social media, but enough people do share the occasional thing they do, and if you follow lot of people it adds up to a constant stream of seeing people going out climbing, flying, skiing, biking etc. Which I imagine creates all sort of difficult emotions in the reader such as jealousy and comparison, which causes us to question. Hey it's almost as if the companies who sell this bullshit have realised the commercial power of selling our peers’ lives as their content...

As for climbing, I've stopped giving a fuck. I went to Tremadog for some nice sunny trad yesterday, the pass for bouldering a few days before that, and likely will head out to Caseg boulder today. I'm currently living in Bethesda. If stopped by the police I'll politely explain what I'm doing and where I'm from and they can decide to send me on my way or allow me to continue. I'm certainly beyond caring much about optics or transmission in the N.Wales area. We couldn't be much more heavily policed and restricted.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2021, 12:04:24 pm by petejh »

Loos3-tools

You do right  :2thumbsup: :2thumbsup:

Ru

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
The law allows travel for work. If people are sponsored that's work to some extent.

Legally, it still has to be "reasonably necessary" when viewed against a background of half the country being out of work or trying to work from home. I doubt that saying that they need the Instagram likes would cut it. There would have to be a pretty tangible link between what they were doing and getting money for it, in my opinion, and a lack of other options that made it necessary to go to that place. Struggling to think of anything that would make it necessary to go climbing outside, rather than, say, training at home, from the point of view of using "work" as a reason to be there. Not saying I agree with the law, just that the "I'm sponsored," excuse isn't likely to be a (literal) get out of jail free card.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2021, 09:25:18 am by Ru »

mark s

• junky
I’ve unfollowed/unsubscribed most of those that have been going out and posting stuff for what I’d consider breaking the rules. Mainly because it made me a bit cross seeing it - so simpler just to take them out of my feed. The old adage of if something on the telly is annoying you why not switch it off!

I doubt it made/makes any difference to their follower numbers etc...

I had a clear out of my Instagram followers. I targeted the constant posters of climbing indoors. I am really not interested in watch people climb plastic or hang on wood.
99 percent seemed to be yoga pant clad with long flowing hair and crop tops.

Loos3-tools

So I’m guessing you’ve cleared the other 1%?  :tumble:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal