UKBouldering.com

Theoretical protocol for lockdown "Local Exercise" (Read 7706 times)

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
I'm suggesting this entirely separately from the debates about morality, legality, what is local, etc etc, they are already very well covered elsewhere.

This is based on the following theoretical assumption:

"If hypothetically climbers were to travel locally to exercise outdoors by climbing, what would be good practise in the current lockdown situation??"

General principles:
1. Avoid any increase in covid transmission.
2. Avoid any extra stress on the emergency services due to travelling.
3. Avoid any extra stress on MRTs and emergency services whilst doing outdoor activities.
4. Avoid getting into trouble / getting fined.
5. Avoid showing the climbing community in a bad light and/or risking further access issues.

Travelling:
Minimise travelling if possible. Drive individually or just with your household.

Drive extra carefully and don't do anything to risk an accident nor draw the attention of police.

Fill up fuel and buy food at your local area, not in a different area.

Park extra carefully and with respect to local residents and other road users. If parking is too busy, move on elsewhere.

Make sure your car / #vanlife is running well and prepared for winter conditions if necessary.

At crags:
Try to go to quieter crags and avoid honey pots if possible. Do some research to find areas with quieter parking and less other users.

Do NOT meet up in groups larger than your household, or an individual meeting one other person, and maintain social distancing with the latter.

Even if teams are legitimate as per above, avoid having too many in one area - move on and choose a different area.

Stick to safer forms of climbing (say, bouldering, lowballing, very well protected trad, sport), and avoid riskier forms of climbing (e.g. highballing, soloing, bold trad, etc). Climb carefully and be self-reliant.

Maintain social distance from other countryside users too.

Social media:
Don't post photos and videos all over insta / Youtube / Tik-Tok / whatever to brag about lockdown climbing.

Avoid writing too much specifically about lockdown climbing all over public social media. Stick to private groups.

Don't write stuff up in UKC logbooks. Try to live without spraying about your latest smashed out turbo send for a month or two.

In general try to draw as little attention as possible to lockdown climbing.

General:
If other climbers are completely ignoring the lockdown rules and/or common sense, have a quiet word with them, avoid being judgemental but point out how such behaviour could be harmful to them (fines), and to the climbing community and crag access, even if they're not concerned about covid risks nor emergency services.

Be polite and respectful to the authorities even if they appear to be mis-using their powers. If you need to disagree, do it calmly and peacefully.

Don't take peppermint tea to the crag.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 06:08:34 pm by Fiend »

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#1 Re: Protocol for lockdown "Local Exercise"
January 08, 2021, 05:44:22 pm
As always this can be nitpicked to fuckery including various justifications for various things, definitions, blah blah blah.

However I'm sure there are also useful tweaks and amendments that could be applied to this entirely theoretical guide if people want to suggest them. I did want to run it by a couple of people at different ends of the lockdown viewpoint spectrum before posting but then thought fuck it best to post it up before tomorrow's CurbarGapocalypse....

P.S.

Avoid writing too much specifically about lockdown climbing all over public social media. Stick to private groups.
This would include not sharing this post, nor linking to UKB, nor taking my post as anything other than theoretical speculation.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 05:57:39 pm by Fiend »

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
Can't wait to see the Fiend Send Suit in these Covid times.

tomtom

• forum hero
All sounds sensible to me Fiend 👍

Doylo

• forum hero
Isn’t TikTok for 12 year old girls? Don’t think climbers use it, maybe Megos doing the Hokey Cokey with some carrots.

colin8ll

• regular
Very good list. I think social media and sharing might still be appropriate if the post's purpose relates to safety or access.

gollum

• obsessive maniac
Hits the nail on the head.  :2thumbsup:

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
How about avoiding places where the parking is a bit residential in a village or suchlike, places like Rowtor, Church, Anston Apprentice/Frodo, Jackson.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
I think the preferred disclaimer to put on social media spray posts is "One from before lockdown".

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
How about avoiding places where the parking is a bit residential in a village or suchlike, places like Rowtor, Church, Anston Apprentice/Frodo, Jackson.

Read that as:

Rowtor, Church, Anston Apprentice/Franco Cookson.

dunnyg

• forum hero
If you don't log it on UKC, have you even climbed it?

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
I think social media and sharing might still be appropriate if the post's purpose relates to safety or access.
Yes good point. Particularly if it comes from "true locals".

Yes also a good point, I was thinking of that with "respect local residents" but that's a sensible specification.

scragrock

• obsessive maniac
Good post and sound advice apart from taking Peppermint to the Crag.

All consumers of peppermint tea should be mortared (from a comfortable distance) with fermented pig shit, the subsequent brown dance should be uploaded to your favourite online platform  :clap2:

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
*BUMP* for any send trains queuing under Demon Wall Roof  ;)

Anti

• menacing presence
  • Potato
Unless I've missed something high profile climbers living in Wales no longer seem to care. Lots of social media posts from crags a reasonable distance from their homes. I'm assuming they're not cycling up and down the Llanberis path with pads on; are they able to use the pro climber card to drive around or are they just relying on no-one caring?

Steve R

• forum abuser
Maybe they're consciously serving the greater good by bravely and publicly setting sensible precedents  :ang:

Loos3-tools

Aye, the manufactured social conscience of the peoples popular welsh trad scene. Namasde and where’s my Huel

Anti

• menacing presence
  • Potato
Maybe they're consciously serving the greater good by bravely and publicly setting sensible precedents  :ang:

Don't confuse me questioning it with me being bothered.

I do think there's a difference between me sneaking off for a boulder and a sponsored athlete broadcasting that they've broken the law. In this age of hypersensitivity I'd be concerned about being dropped for something less. I can't imagine Rab etc are keen to weigh in on the argument about whether we should push back against this stupid law.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
...also concerned about drawing too much attention to any guideline-bending that might be going on and highlighting climbers as a target for enforcement.

Unless as Steve implies, Drakeford will roll over nicely, wag his tail and turn a blinder eye to climbing because some elite athletes are showing themselves doing it??
« Last Edit: March 07, 2021, 08:19:14 am by Fiend »

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
Unless I've missed something high profile climbers living in Wales no longer seem to care. Lots of social media posts from crags a reasonable distance from their homes. I'm assuming they're not cycling up and down the Llanberis path with pads on; are they able to use the pro climber card to drive around or are they just relying on no-one caring?

Who in particular and how far have they travelled? I’d heard from locals that the Police had been quite pragmatic about people from Bethesda accessing the Ogwen and people from Llanberis accessing the pass, but strict with people having travelled much further.

Anti

• menacing presence
  • Potato
Well, not really into naming and shaming but Llanberis residents bouldering in Ogwen Valley and Betws forest. I'd say about 25/30 minutes driving. I guess majority of their followers don't really know that Ogwen valley isn't really local to Llanberis. It's all north Wales innit.

As a Bethesda resident I've felt Ogwen is about the limits of what I'm comfortable justifying to myself but even then the no parking / police presence in the valley itself makes it somewhat a no go anyway, hence why Sheep Pen is so busy.

Bradders

• forum hero
about the limits of what I'm comfortable justifying to myself

Surely this is the case with everyone, especially as, being realistic, the risk involved in driving for 30 minutes is infinitesimally greater than driving 10 minutes.

I personally have been restricting myself to venues up to 30 minutes drive away, purely because that's what I've felt comfortable with rather than for any genuinely logical reasons.

Anti

• menacing presence
  • Potato
about the limits of what I'm comfortable justifying to myself

Surely this is the case with everyone, especially as, being realistic, the risk involved in driving for 30 minutes is infinitesimally greater than driving 10 minutes.

I personally have been restricting myself to venues up to 30 minutes drive away, purely because that's what I've felt comfortable with rather than for any genuinely logical reasons.

My question was less an existential issue of how we define risk to ourselves and more that sponsored athletes sharing their adventures when it's explicitly illegal at the moment seemed a bit risky behaviour in the professional sense, given how angry people on social media get. It's not like you can't access any other boulders a bit closer haha. Oh well.

tomtom

• forum hero
I’ve unfollowed/unsubscribed most of those that have been going out and posting stuff for what I’d consider breaking the rules. Mainly because it made me a bit cross seeing it - so simpler just to take them out of my feed. The old adage of if something on the telly is annoying you why not switch it off!

I doubt it made/makes any difference to their follower numbers etc...
« Last Edit: March 07, 2021, 09:31:35 am by tomtom »

Duma

• forum hero
The law allows travel for work. If people are sponsored that's work to some extent. Obviously there's a grey area from Shauna/Hazel to a local kid getting shoes at trade cos he knows the local shop owner, but given the amount of non essential work going on atm I think a 30 min drive for a sponsored climber isn't even pushing it. (This from a legislation perspective. Obviously from a transmission perspective climbing outside while socially distanced is effectively risk free)

Anti

• menacing presence
  • Potato
The law allows travel for work. If people are sponsored that's work to some extent. Obviously there's a grey area from Shauna/Hazel to a local kid getting shoes at trade cos he knows the local shop owner, but given the amount of non essential work going on atm I think a 30 min drive for a sponsored climber isn't even pushing it. (This from a legislation perspective. Obviously from a transmission perspective climbing outside while socially distanced is effectively risk free)

Thanks. I was wondering if they were able to wing it as work. Makes you wonder why they aren't all doing it and instead telling us how hard they have it being forced on their boards.

tomtom

• forum hero
Sponsored climber is a wide bracket - as plenty of sponsored climbers have full time jobs as well.

We can split hairs, but Climber X who is a teacher but gets free shoes from brand Y and brands their videos accordingly would find it a stretch to say it was their work I’d argue...

Anyway - that’s all a bit moot now and I’m devils advocating a bit there 😁

I reached for the unfollow button fastest where there was obvious climbing as part of a group (multiple spotters) as well as travelling stuff.... anyway, that’s just me etc... I await LooseTools to accuse me of virtue signalling :D
« Last Edit: March 07, 2021, 10:57:29 am by tomtom »

petejh

• forum hero
As a devout non-user of social media I find the compulsion to share on insta or FB everything you climb pretty ridiculous and hard to understand. But then I've never cared what anyone beyond my immediate circle is doing or what they think.

I think there are probably a couple of things going on - most people don't share every other thing they do on social media, but enough people do share the occasional thing they do, and if you follow lot of people it adds up to a constant stream of seeing people going out climbing, flying, skiing, biking etc. Which I imagine creates all sort of difficult emotions in the reader such as jealousy and comparison, which causes us to question. Hey it's almost as if the companies who sell this bullshit have realised the commercial power of selling our peers’ lives as their content...

As for climbing, I've stopped giving a fuck. I went to Tremadog for some nice sunny trad yesterday, the pass for bouldering a few days before that, and likely will head out to Caseg boulder today. I'm currently living in Bethesda. If stopped by the police I'll politely explain what I'm doing and where I'm from and they can decide to send me on my way or allow me to continue. I'm certainly beyond caring much about optics or transmission in the N.Wales area. We couldn't be much more heavily policed and restricted.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2021, 12:04:24 pm by petejh »

Loos3-tools

You do right  :2thumbsup: :2thumbsup:

Ru

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
The law allows travel for work. If people are sponsored that's work to some extent.

Legally, it still has to be "reasonably necessary" when viewed against a background of half the country being out of work or trying to work from home. I doubt that saying that they need the Instagram likes would cut it. There would have to be a pretty tangible link between what they were doing and getting money for it, in my opinion, and a lack of other options that made it necessary to go to that place. Struggling to think of anything that would make it necessary to go climbing outside, rather than, say, training at home, from the point of view of using "work" as a reason to be there. Not saying I agree with the law, just that the "I'm sponsored," excuse isn't likely to be a (literal) get out of jail free card.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2021, 09:25:18 am by Ru »

mark s

• junky
I’ve unfollowed/unsubscribed most of those that have been going out and posting stuff for what I’d consider breaking the rules. Mainly because it made me a bit cross seeing it - so simpler just to take them out of my feed. The old adage of if something on the telly is annoying you why not switch it off!

I doubt it made/makes any difference to their follower numbers etc...

I had a clear out of my Instagram followers. I targeted the constant posters of climbing indoors. I am really not interested in watch people climb plastic or hang on wood.
99 percent seemed to be yoga pant clad with long flowing hair and crop tops.

Loos3-tools

So I’m guessing you’ve cleared the other 1%?  :tumble:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal