UKBouldering.com

Covid Diaries (Read 6378 times)

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
  • Dave Thomas is an annual climber to 1.7m, with strongly fragrant flowers
  • Don't die with your music still inside you ;)
#25 Re: Covid Diaries
February 26, 2021, 02:49:50 pm
Great post OMM.

All sounds highly entertaining. You should charge for entry to a gig like that  ;D

Yes, the other 3am projects tend to involve working through all the white emulsion I've found during my "skip runs". Talking of which, I found a black light the other week, and passed onto Simes here.
I was also looking at the kitchen ceiling, and wondering whether I should fit some spots, but maybe a bit adventurous for me!

I wanted to ask though, how are things with the wall? Are you sufficiently well insulated from the Covid crisis? It's been such a Mammoth investment. Any problems reopening?

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#26 Re: Covid Diaries
February 27, 2021, 10:09:52 am
Great post OMM.

All sounds highly entertaining. You should charge for entry to a gig like that  ;D

Yes, the other 3am projects tend to involve working through all the white emulsion I've found during my "skip runs". Talking of which, I found a black light the other week, and passed onto Simes here.
I was also looking at the kitchen ceiling, and wondering whether I should fit some spots, but maybe a bit adventurous for me!

I wanted to ask though, how are things with the wall? Are you sufficiently well insulated from the Covid crisis? It's been such a Mammoth investment. Any problems reopening?

I suppose the short answer is, I don’t know.

Opening up after #1 wasn’t a problem, but there was absolutely no group or schools business during the autumn, so our revenue was down more than 50%. Those annoying groups and clubs, keep walls open. So we scraped through until #2.
That ridiculous short opening between #2 & #3 cost us dearly though. The build up to Xmas is always quiet, worse than ever before this year and only a few diehards continue training and climbing over the Xmas/NY period, so without Xmas party and Xmas group activities stuff, it was pretty dire.
The grants have been almost enough to keep on top of things, but only because the landlord was understanding enough to give us a three month rent holiday. Problem was, if we were open, we had to cover wages, rent and utilities etc etc. Actually closed, with lockdown grants and furlough for the guys, we’re fine. The next hurdle will be getting people to come back, just as we move into the summer and our “other” normally quiet period. I think a lot of businesses, would rather see lockdown extended until the vaccine program is further advanced and people have more confidence in going out again. The worry that we might be opening up again too quickly, bugs me on every level; I don’t want to see more death and loss, I don’t want to see more stress on businesses and livelihoods trying to survive in tepid conditions and weak demand. It’s a little hard to express all that in a post, it’s complicated, but ultimately the government has just pratted around with half measures, that haven’t been effective for many, individuals or businesses and it’s frustrating. I think, when we look back on this time, it will not be with any satisfaction. As a nation, we have had a much harder hit than any other Western nation, economically and socially. That is really going to hit home once we stop to catch our breath.

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
  • Dave Thomas is an annual climber to 1.7m, with strongly fragrant flowers
  • Don't die with your music still inside you ;)
#27 Re: Covid Diaries
February 27, 2021, 01:37:31 pm
I completely get what you're trying to explain there. Sounds like a tight rope to be walked, with a knot that keeps slipping at one end.

When restrictions are lifted, I guess you'll have to just try to embrace the situation you're left with. We'll all wish you well with that of course.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#28 Re: Covid Diaries
March 24, 2024, 10:17:21 pm
Thanks MrJR  ;D x

I had a fingerboard session at 3am this morning, just illustrating how out of kilter everything can get, and woke up with sore forearms.

Bizarre what can lighten ones mood  ;)
Fantastic  :dance1:

As significantly, for the past 20 years or so, I've been meaning to seal a gap around the edge of the concrete floor, under the cupboards in my kitchen. Out of sight, but seldom out of mind, because anything stored in the cupboards for a while, picks up a fusty smell and mould, which contaminates cooking.

It took me about 90 minutes last night to finally get a round tuit  :2thumbsup:

.. which is why I was on the fingerboard at 3am.

One of my hobbies is looking for meaning in the lyrics of tracks by Scooter.

The track Nessaja describes a situation occuring at 3am.

It also includes the lines
"It's not a bird.
It's not a plane.
It must be Dave who's on the train"

I now understand this to be a clear reference to Dave training on his finger board (appearing to fly at 3am)

It also includes other references that correspond to conversations I have had with Dave.

I've been meaning to add further evidence of Scooter making reference to DT90
In the track "fuck the millennium" we find the lyrics
"I'm the candyman
Also known as Dave, Dave from Sheffield
Furthermore known as The Screaming Lord"
Obviously it would be too blatant to mention Lord of The Flies directly, but I like what Scooter has done here

I look forward to the use of "rockstar from Devon" in the new Scooter album

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal