UKBouldering.com

Beemat - new budget pads on the market ? (Read 3510 times)

mark20

• junky
Beemat - new budget pads on the market ?
December 13, 2020, 01:45:53 pm
https://www.beemat.co.uk/collections/bouldering-mats/products/beemat-caley-bouldering-crash-pad-mat

Anyone seen these out at the crags? As cheap as you'll find a pad these days I think. (have found them for £120 on other sites)

Similar size to the DMM Highball & Alpkit Mujo, but bit thicker than both, and slightly cheaper.

Made by a foam/matting company so hopefully would be reasonable, but it would be good to hear if anyone has seen/used one?

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#1 Re: Beemat - new budget pads on the market ?
December 13, 2020, 02:07:24 pm
Not seen them out, or used that mat, however, we’ve been buying Beemat as a preference for the wall for a few years now.
Much better quality than Olympic gymnasium or, well, any of the other brands we’ve used.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#2 Re: Beemat - new budget pads on the market ?
December 13, 2020, 02:13:12 pm
They make a lot if stuff for gymnastics, fwiw

dunnyg

• forum hero
#3 Re: Beemat - new budget pads on the market ?
December 13, 2020, 02:37:11 pm
Also interested to hear any reviews!

Paul B

• forum hero
#4 Re: Beemat - new budget pads on the market ?
December 13, 2020, 02:45:23 pm
All I can say is I've spoken to them a bit recently in the context of home wall padding (through Newitts) and they've been really helpful.

A few friends with substantial home structures seem to have used them for that and are pleased.

In general though it's a bad time to be buying foam. There's a Europe wide shortage of a certain chemical used to make it and I believe prices have gone up around 40% in the past few months.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#5 Re: Beemat - new budget pads on the market ?
December 13, 2020, 03:12:45 pm
Not enough bees, 3/10, WNB.

bolehillbilly

• stalker
#6 Re: Beemat - new budget pads on the market ?
December 13, 2020, 03:36:06 pm
I miss read the thread title as beer mat and assumed it was a step down in quality and price from the trusty bar towel I started bouldering with  :lol:

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#7 Re: Beemat - new budget pads on the market ?
December 13, 2020, 06:11:31 pm
I miss read the thread title as beer mat and assumed it was a step down in quality and price from the trusty bar towel I started bouldering with  :lol:

Same here

Anti

• menacing presence
  • Potato
#8 Re: Beemat - new budget pads on the market ?
December 13, 2020, 06:19:50 pm
I always thought the Psychi pads were £100 but it seems they're a lot more now? Sure I bought one for £99 a few years ago, and was about to comment that it's been a great second pad!

Bradders

• forum hero
#9 Re: Beemat - new budget pads on the market ?
December 13, 2020, 07:23:16 pm
I always thought the Psychi pads were £100 but it seems they're a lot more now? Sure I bought one for £99 a few years ago, and was about to comment that it's been a great second pad!

I bought a Grivel pad for £69 in maybe 2015; saw the exact same pad recently in Go Outdoors, no obvious upgrades or improvements, on sale for £160....

Surely taking the piss? Even if foam costs have increased 40%, they must still be making a massive margin now.

Anti

• menacing presence
  • Potato

I bought a Grivel pad for £69 in maybe 2015; saw the exact same pad recently in Go Outdoors, no obvious upgrades or improvements, on sale for £160....

Surely taking the piss? Even if foam costs have increased 40%, they must still be making a massive margin now.

Haha bonkers. Nevermind bitcoin, should've hoovered up pads. Especially with covid inflation.

CrimpyMcCrimpface

• player
No comments about their pads but I bought their Ballet Barre for the wife in Oct and the quality seems good. Also a good price.

Danny

• junky
I bought their smallest one as a 3rd / 4th pad. Deeper and cheaper than most of the sit pads on the market. It's ok ish. A bit softer from new than anything I've used before, but does what I want it to do. I actually bum-rocketed onto it at the weekend while it was perched over a boulder edge and it did pretty well (no bottoming out). You can see it perched on the boulder here: https://www.instagram.com/p/CItOtprDpnN/?igshid=1ot8fytarbiwp

Danny

• junky
You can all fuck off with the donkey line comments in advance :P

RobK

• stalker

£110 on their website. They do a £160 version, from what I can gather the difference is it's reversible and maybe has different strapping?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal