UKBouldering.com

Things to feel happy about in 2020 (Read 6215 times)

petejh

• forum hero
#25 Re: Things to feel happy about in 2020
December 13, 2020, 02:37:56 pm
If you were to ask 'things to feel happy about in 20xx'  in any year would it be hard or easy to pinpoint especially happy things at a whole population level? Genuinely not sure.

2020: we experienced the most serious virus pandemic since Spanish Flu in 1919 and civilisation didn't completely fall apart. We'll move on with the memories and the psychological/emotional/financial scars and soon enough there'll be generations who don't remember it at all.

Spring was nice.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#26 Re: Things to feel happy about in 2020
December 13, 2020, 05:00:32 pm
The first lockdown empty roads were bliss, as was the stunning spring weather.
NB not just things that are good for keen cyclists. For other people the lockdown was a miserable cunting shit of a time.

andy popp

• forum hero
#27 Re: Things to feel happy about in 2020
December 13, 2020, 05:27:22 pm
Some members might remember that in late 2016, when I was living in the US, we hosted the first of several groups of refugees who stayed with us - four young men from Eritrea. We got particularly close to this group, and one of them in particular, who eventually came to live with us permanently. We also got to know many others in the local Eritrean community - there were a lot of fun times! Anyway, A, who was living with us, got into a special program that led to a high school diploma, a driving license and vocational training. He came top of his class and got a full scholarship to the local community college for a two year associate's degree. From there he graduated to Penn State and in 18 months will graduate with a full four year degree in accounting. We speak all the time but he rang today to tell us he'd met someone he wants to marry. So, sometime around two years from now there's going to an almighty wedding party somewhere in West Philly. Nothing, and I mean nothing, could possibly have made me happier this year.

SamT

• forum hero
#28 Re: Things to feel happy about in 2020
December 13, 2020, 10:33:19 pm

That's mega Andy!

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#29 Re: Things to feel happy about in 2020
December 14, 2020, 10:18:45 am
NB not just things that are good for keen cyclists. For other people the lockdown was a miserable cunting shit of a time.

Surely everyone appreciated the weather though. That is being rather offset by the awful weather at the moment, however. 

TobyD

• forum hero
#30 Re: Things to feel happy about in 2020
December 14, 2020, 10:24:01 am
If you were to ask 'things to feel happy about in 20xx'  in any year would it be hard or easy to pinpoint especially happy things at a whole population level? Genuinely not sure.

2020: we experienced the most serious virus pandemic since Spanish Flu in 1919 and civilisation didn't completely fall apart. We'll move on with the memories and the psychological/emotional/financial scars and soon enough there'll be generations who don't remember it at all.

Spring was nice.

Yes I think I largely agree with you,  that's a pretty positive outlook on it as well.  Sometime soon this will all be a memory.

36chambers

• forum hero
#31 Re: Things to feel happy about in 2020
December 14, 2020, 10:46:37 am

Surely everyone appreciated the weather though. That is being rather offset by the awful weather at the moment, however.

I resented the glorious weather whilst locked in my shitty little urban house.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#32 Re: Things to feel happy about in 2020
December 14, 2020, 10:53:19 am

You’re kidding! The best extended period of great climbing conditions in years, only to be enjoyed during our one mandated walk daily.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#33 Re: Things to feel happy about in 2020
December 14, 2020, 11:11:20 am
Some members might remember that in late 2016, when I was living in the US, we hosted the first of several groups of refugees who stayed with us - four young men from Eritrea. We got particularly close to this group, and one of them in particular, who eventually came to live with us permanently. We also got to know many others in the local Eritrean community - there were a lot of fun times! Anyway, A, who was living with us, got into a special program that led to a high school diploma, a driving license and vocational training. He came top of his class and got a full scholarship to the local community college for a two year associate's degree. From there he graduated to Penn State and in 18 months will graduate with a full four year degree in accounting. We speak all the time but he rang today to tell us he'd met someone he wants to marry. So, sometime around two years from now there's going to an almighty wedding party somewhere in West Philly. Nothing, and I mean nothing, could possibly have made me happier this year.

Just brilliant. Guy must be something exceptional. BZ for being there to hold that foot in place at such a crucial moment. A slip there might have sent him off on a very different path.

IanP

• forum abuser
#34 Re: Things to feel happy about in 2020
December 14, 2020, 03:52:46 pm

You’re kidding! The best extended period of great climbing conditions in years, only to be enjoyed during our one mandated walk daily.

Just to say the weather was pretty epic in 2018 if you were a sport climber! I'm crossing my fingers for spring / early summer dry spells becoming a thing!

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#35 Re: Things to feel happy about in 2020
December 14, 2020, 05:01:19 pm
I'd be much happier if this thread was titled Reasons to be Cheerful

tomtom

• forum hero
#36 Re: Things to feel happy about in 2020
December 14, 2020, 05:04:24 pm
This is a reason to be cheerful. Lockdown filmed Spoof sci-fi series-let by James McAvoy.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CAGDnhMlNt9/?igshid=97xhdo9jqptc

TobyD

• forum hero
#37 Re: Things to feel happy about in 2020
December 14, 2020, 06:22:18 pm

Then UKB would get sued for copyright infringement by Ed Milliband though.

mark s

• junky
#38 Re: Things to feel happy about in 2020
December 14, 2020, 06:23:02 pm
I want to find a positive from the virus. For me it's job security. We are making the carrier liquid that makes up the majority of the Pfizer vaccine. We make pharmas and this has brought investment they will use for other projects also.

andy popp

• forum hero
#39 Re: Things to feel happy about in 2020
December 14, 2020, 09:09:42 pm
Guy must be something exceptional.

Yeah, he's something else.

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#40 Re: Things to feel happy about in 2020
December 15, 2020, 08:45:03 am

Then UKB would get sued for copyright infringement by Ed Milliband though.

It'd make me happy when ukb won that case with the jury grooving along to Ian Dury in court then the judge telling Miliband what a waste of time it had been

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal