UKBouldering.com

Is resoling worth it? (Read 14603 times)

Duncan campbell

• junky
#75 Re: Is resoling worth it?
July 08, 2023, 10:07:52 pm
Llanberis resoles ftw for me. Always a great resole.

I get a similar weirdly good level of service from Torquil too, last time I took my shoes in the waiting time on the website was 2-3 weeks they were done the week after I took them in!! Now that Torquil gets “official Sportiva spare parts” my resoles seem even better aka stiffer/like new shoes.

Seem a similar price to Feet First but for me, peace of mind that I will get a usable product after. Plus my GF lives in NW so no bother to drop in/pick up

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#76 Re: Is resoling worth it?
July 08, 2023, 10:35:02 pm
I should have added that I was recommending Feet First for Five Ten/ Unparallel.

Torquil is the guy for Sportiva & Scarpa by all accounts but he butchered a pair of whites I sent him a decade ago and as I understand it doesn’t even bother with that style these days. while he does appear to do them again he only has Vibram rubber, not the Unparallel stuff.

Scouse D

• forum hero
#77 Re: Is resoling worth it?
July 08, 2023, 10:44:41 pm
Had a pair of Scarpa instinct vsr resoled with llanberis. Very nice looking job BUT they are much softer than they were rendering them pretty useless for small edges but a perfect indoor boot.

Bradders

• forum hero
#78 Re: Is resoling worth it?
July 09, 2023, 07:48:04 am
I've likewise had a pair of Instinct VSRs done by Llanberis Resoles and it extended their lifespan to >4 years of their being my primary bouldering shoe. They were maybe marginally softer but really just felt nicely worn in rather than too soft. I've only just had to retire them recently as other parts of the shoes are falling apart, but the edges are still good.

Also had an old pair of Instinct VSs done. I'd written them off really but after the resole they were basically the only boot I used for a season of UK lime sport.

Interesting to see the outcomes are so variable, must be something to do with how they go in determining how well they come out.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#79 Re: Is resoling worth it?
July 09, 2023, 08:52:37 am
I think the stiffness of most climbing shoes is due to the midsole, which is a thin layer of plastic behind the rubber sole (in some shoes its only part-length).  If the midsole is degraded, just due to repeated flexing during its lifetime, replacing the rubber at the front end during a resole won't improve that - possibly make it worse if removing the old rubber damages the underlying structure. 

thunderbeest

• regular
#80 Re: Is resoling worth it?
July 09, 2023, 09:03:28 am
Has Antoine tried resoling Tenayas? I always feel by the time I wear through the rubber,most of the shoe is worn out. The heel peeling off, the toe rubber peeling off.

But a good shoe while they last

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#81 Re: Is resoling worth it?
July 09, 2023, 10:18:48 pm
I think the stiffness of most climbing shoes is due to the midsole, which is a thin layer of plastic behind the rubber sole (in some shoes its only part-length).  If the midsole is degraded, just due to repeated flexing during its lifetime, replacing the rubber at the front end during a resole won't improve that - possibly make it worse if removing the old rubber damages the underlying structure.

Sounds like carbon fibre plates are needed. Next % jobs.

SamT

• forum hero
#82 Re: Is resoling worth it?
September 02, 2023, 08:40:12 am

NEW RESOLE SHOP IN SHEFFIELD!

Check out Northern Soles in the Foundry Carpark (By Jagged Globe)

It's my ex bosses new venture and I know he's been putting in a lot of effort over the last year or so to get things up and running.  Really hope it works out well for him  :2thumbsup:

As I understand it, the website is still under construction but he has a Facebook page.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid0hcDj2xXhgEMLDvoR1NEnS3Nj3U8zFj1urxiYnDnPq89k9mw2xXXTQKAo9PYKNMQ1l&id=100091846744385

He's going to be organising a drop box at the foundry so it's easy to drop boots off.

"Resole Only - £45 
Resole + Rand Repair - £60
We generally resole like for like with the rubber but if you require anything different then just let us know."

csl

• junky
#83 Re: Is resoling worth it?
September 03, 2023, 11:43:26 am
I forgot I made this thread - 3 years on I’m a convert to resoles. Had a few pairs from Llanberis and very happy with them.

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
#84 Re: Is resoling worth it?
September 03, 2023, 12:20:17 pm
Good luck to your mate.

For info, Cheshire still have sensible turnaround times. Dropped a pair of Instinct SRs on the Saturday, ready the following Thursday. Pleased with them so far and compare well to another newer pair.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal