UKBouldering.com

Is resoling worth it? (Read 14148 times)

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#50 Re: Is resoling worth it?
December 02, 2020, 12:16:46 pm
There appears to be no price list on the site?

RobK

• stalker
#51 Re: Is resoling worth it?
December 02, 2020, 12:31:56 pm

No, the website has always been a bit rubbish. You have to email him for a quote.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#52 Re: Is resoling worth it?
December 02, 2020, 01:21:49 pm

Nah, he generally asks for photos and it depends on the rubber you chose. Don't expect next day levels of service! Quality, but very....Mediterranean!

Around €30 with return delivery for a standard resole, plus €5 or so for minor rand repairs, full rebuilds up from there.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#53 Re: Is resoling worth it?
December 02, 2020, 01:53:13 pm
Thanks.

tomtom

• forum hero
#54 Re: Is resoling worth it?
December 02, 2020, 02:24:42 pm
Thanks.

I've just emailed him with some pics of my shoes so will report back here if I get a reply etc..

MischaHY

• obsessive maniac
#55 Re: Is resoling worth it?
December 02, 2020, 03:01:57 pm
If you wear a pair until you can only just start to see through the rubber on the toe, do they still need a toe patch?

Or is a toe patch only required when you started to wear through the leather/synthetic/whatever it is?

Shoes always feel at their best time just before they wear the through the toe, so I would be reluctant to send the off too soon.

The other reason I’m sceptical is that towards the end of their life I often tear one of the laces’ eyelets or the uppers are otherwise starting to look at bit tired.  I’m not sure whether they’d last the same time again if I got them re-soled.  What are people’s thoughts??

That's actually too late. You need to send them off when the edge is through but the rand rubber (the second layer) is still intact - this advice straight from a resoler.

If you prefer the rounded, sensitive fit, then you'd be best placed switching to a no-edge shoe i.e. Futura, Genius etc IMO. They have a very similar feel to well worn shoes.

Ged

• junky
#56 Re: Is resoling worth it?
December 02, 2020, 04:20:03 pm

No, the website has always been a bit rubbish. You have to email him for a quote.

I can't see an email address on there, anyone got one?

tomtom

• forum hero
#57 Re: Is resoling worth it?
December 02, 2020, 04:32:32 pm
It’s under contact.

Wood FT

• forum hero
#58 Re: Is resoling worth it?
December 02, 2020, 06:35:19 pm

I can't see an email address on there, anyone got one?

PM'd you

RobK

• stalker
#59 Re: Is resoling worth it?
April 06, 2021, 07:38:29 pm
Just a positive review for Llanberis resoles. I've had decent jobs done by them before but had always left it too late and needed a toe patch repair which was fine but left them feeling a bit more clunky than before. This time I got a pair of my old Boosters done early enough that they just needed a straight resole and they are superb. Didn't need any breaking in and felt really precise straight from the get go.

SamT

• forum hero
#60 Re: Is resoling worth it?
April 06, 2021, 07:53:55 pm

Glad to know torquil is back up and working again.  ;D

Hollo

#61 Re: Is resoling worth it?
April 07, 2021, 08:59:19 am
After trying local options and being very disappointed, I have used shoedoctor.eu in Slovenia. Not the Greek guy some of you have used dispite the similar address. They are official resolers for La Sportiva and Scarpa, so they use original rubbers for those but resole any brand. Very nice quality of work and quick communication. They arrange the courier which has a fixed price for shipping, 40€ to where I'm from, so we've usually collected around 20 pairs for the order. Not sure how it works for UK post brexit, though.

Sounds like paid endorsement, doesn't it...

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
#62 Re: Is resoling worth it?
November 25, 2022, 03:16:43 pm
This old topic....

I seem to be getting through my "resoled" pairs pretty quickly, mainly because it's what I use at TCA Prop Store, which has textured walls. This means the wear extremely quickly right under the big toe and all the other rubber is almost untouched. If you compare this to my "outdoor" shoes, they're much more even and last way longer.

Reckon there's any way of doing a micro-repair on just the toe?

kelvin

• forum hero
#63 Re: Is resoling worth it?
November 25, 2022, 03:48:19 pm
This old topic....

I seem to be getting through my "resoled" pairs pretty quickly, mainly because it's what I use at TCA Prop Store, which has textured walls. This means the wear extremely quickly right under the big toe and all the other rubber is almost untouched. If you compare this to my "outdoor" shoes, they're much more even and last way longer.

Reckon there's any way of doing a micro-repair on just the toe?

Couldn't you hammer in those metal tips that were trendy in the early eighties?
That'd do the job.

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
#64 Re: Is resoling worth it?
November 25, 2022, 04:04:09 pm
 :-\

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix

Dac

• player
#66 Re: Is resoling worth it?
November 25, 2022, 06:47:10 pm
I pretty sure 5:10 don't do that stealth paint stuff anymore. But just in case, for the purpose suggested, it was essentially useless. I tried it myself many years ago and it just grates off onto the wall, much like rubber from a pencil eraser would.

I think it was meant for adding rubber toe patches onto shoes (for which it may be perfectly good). I used what was left of mine adding grippiness to ice ace shafts (which worked brilliantly) and attempting to add friction to the underside of a particularly slippy bouldering mat (which improved things a bit).

andy_e

• forum hero
#67 Re: Is resoling worth it?
July 08, 2023, 11:55:24 am
What's the latest beta on resoling? Got a pair of Dragons that I'd love to continue using forever but are now wearing incredibly thin. Where's the best place to get them done?

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#68 Re: Is resoling worth it?
July 08, 2023, 12:01:46 pm
Personally, and saying this as a 5.10 lover, I'd save your cash and buy something new instead. I've had nothing but rubbish results trying to get 5.10's resoled, I think they just don't have the same build quality in the midsoles as their Euro counterparts.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#69 Re: Is resoling worth it?
July 08, 2023, 12:17:00 pm
What's the latest beta on resoling? Got a pair of Dragons that I'd love to continue using forever but are now wearing incredibly thin. Where's the best place to get them done?

Feet First Chesterfield. I’ve been getting 5.10s & Unparallels done by them for years and they’re always great.

I’ll have said this higher up the thread but it’s worth repeating, how worn your shoes are when you take/ send them in to be resoled has a direct bearing on how good they’ll be when they come back and this is especially true for 5.10s, as Teestub says. If they’re at (or even getting to) the point where you can’t climb in them any more you’re probably better off chucking your Dragons and getting a pair of Siriuses.

T_B

• forum hero
#70 Re: Is resoling worth it?
July 08, 2023, 01:36:56 pm
The guy who resoled at Feet First has gone. I used them for years but my mate recently got a pair done and they are ridiculous. Completely unusable.

For Sheffield based peeps Northern Soles has just taken up residency next to the Foundry. Andrew has been trained in Spain and has all the gear including 200 lasts.

andy_e

• forum hero
#71 Re: Is resoling worth it?
July 08, 2023, 01:49:24 pm
Cheers all, might be worth noting that these are more of a vanity project and not meant to be anything other than slopping around indoors or swedging around outside in. For more serious action I've various pairs of Unparallels (which don't look anywhere near as good as old Dragons do).

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
#72 Re: Is resoling worth it?
July 08, 2023, 01:57:37 pm
The guy who resoled at Feet First has gone. I used them for years but my mate recently got a pair done and they are ridiculous. Completely unusable.

For Sheffield based peeps Northern Soles has just taken up residency next to the Foundry. Andrew has been trained in Spain and has all the gear including 200 lasts.

Got a couple of pairs done at feet firs, recently, and the quality  not bad actually, but.... BUT.... We were informed pre sending that they were struggling to get through the backlog and it would be about 17 weeks. I also wanted 2 pairs of boots done (one slightly niche pair of winter boots) and so though, "sod it, not in a rush". Well, 17 weeks turned into 6 months and that's apparently the current wait.

Therefore, I'd say avoid for now.

T_B

• forum hero
#73 Re: Is resoling worth it?
July 08, 2023, 02:08:54 pm
They must have got someone completely untrained to do my mate’s as all of the edges had been rounded off in a massive radius. Might be ok on VDiff cracks!

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#74 Re: Is resoling worth it?
July 08, 2023, 03:05:49 pm
We were informed pre sending that they were struggling to get through the backlog and it would be about 17 weeks. I also wanted 2 pairs of boots done (one slightly niche pair of winter boots) and so though, "sod it, not in a rush". Well, 17 weeks turned into 6 months and that's apparently the current wait.

Therefore, I'd say avoid for now.

They must have got someone completely untrained to do my mate’s as all of the edges had been rounded off in a massive radius. Might be ok on VDiff cracks!

This is the mad thing about Feet First, whenever I mention them there are always horror stories but I’ve honestly never had anything but great service from them. It’s been the same two blokes working there the whole time I’ve been taking them (6-7 years now) as far as I can tell.

I dropped two pairs of Unparallels off at 9:23AM on Thursday 22nd June. I had the same conversation I always have- bloke says “you’ve caught these just in time, they won’t need the rands repairing, that’s what really takes the time, should be ready in a few weeks”. I say “no rush, I have other ones to wear in the meantime”. Got the text message saying they were ready to pick up at  3:11PM on Wednesday 28th of June. Picked them up a week later and the price was £102 which is 2x the price given for the bog standard climbing shoe repair on their website. The reason I’ve recorded this in police-report levels of detail is because I had a disagreement about how long they take with a mate (who also took his in in person) the other week and I wanted to reassure him and myself that I’m not going mad.

Edges always seem fine to me.I have a couple of pairs of unworn shoes still in the box here and the edges look the same as on the ones I picked up the other day.

I’ve honestly no idea why I get good service and others don’t :shrug:. I’m not mates with them and I take them shoes twice a year, max. My only theory is that I take them in when they’re at the sweet spot which is quite a way before they’re completely worn out. That’s why I always give the advice about when to take them whenever I recommend them.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2023, 03:11:36 pm by cheque »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal