UKBouldering.com

Is resoling worth it? (Read 14152 times)

shurt

• forum abuser
  • nincompoop
#25 Re: Is resoling worth it?
November 30, 2020, 01:34:43 pm
Do not use feet 1st they are shit. Torquill in Llanberis is incredible. Done a few pairs of Sportivas, pretty much flawless for me.

GazM

• forum abuser
    • Highland ramblings
#26 Re: Is resoling worth it?
November 30, 2020, 02:36:47 pm
Just feel like I should stick up for Feet First in Chester after Shurt's post.  I've had 2 pairs of Scarpa shoes resoled by them and am really happy with them - one each of the old red Instinct Lace and the new black/orange Instinct Lace. I'm perfectly happy to keep using them for their original uses (red for trad, black for my board and steep edgy bouldering.)

Neither of them were too far gone when I sent them off, which fits with what many others are saying. 

Anti

• menacing presence
  • Potato
#27 Re: Is resoling worth it?
November 30, 2020, 03:41:55 pm
Interestingly whenever a resoling thread pops up everyone has varying reviews (some good some bad) of a bunch of resole places (Feet First as above, Cheshire Resoles in my case) however we've all had a good experience with Llanberis Resoles from what I can see. Praise indeed!

Ross Barker

• menacing presence
  • Deathly afraid of traverses
#28 Re: Is resoling worth it?
November 30, 2020, 03:54:56 pm
however we've all had a good experience with Llanberis Resoles from what I can see. Praise indeed!

Unfortunately I've had one bad experience, the rubber wasn't very uniform and a bit gouged on one of my Vapor Vs. Did a top job on my Instinct VSRs though beforehand so it might just be a case of poor luck.

tomtom

• forum hero
#29 Re: Is resoling worth it?
November 30, 2020, 04:36:25 pm
however we've all had a good experience with Llanberis Resoles from what I can see. Praise indeed!

Unfortunately I've had one bad experience, the rubber wasn't very uniform and a bit gouged on one of my Vapor Vs. Did a top job on my Instinct VSRs though beforehand so it might just be a case of poor luck.

I wasn’t that pleased with two pairs I had done there either...

Anti

• menacing presence
  • Potato
#30 Re: Is resoling worth it?
November 30, 2020, 06:25:05 pm
Well, there we go. Nowhere reliable to get resoles done. Haha.

tomtom

• forum hero
#31 Re: Is resoling worth it?
November 30, 2020, 06:33:30 pm
Well, there we go. Nowhere reliable to get resoles done. Haha.

Yup - I guess every place can have a bad day - and different shoes and how they are worn may work better than others etc...

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#32 Re: Is resoling worth it?
November 30, 2020, 10:27:06 pm
Still yet to hear a bad word said about George in Athens... Just sayin'....

Steve R

• forum abuser
#33 Re: Is resoling worth it?
November 30, 2020, 10:33:31 pm
anyone mentioned the Greek fella yet?  Well there's this Greek guy on fb who resoles shoes.  Had some done by him and has been worth it.  He does them cheap and postage to Greece isn't much.  I've had one or two (lucky?) pairs of resoles which have been almost as good as a new pair but generally I'd expect or hope for ~80% performance of a new pair.  Which is fine for warming up, easier climbing generally, crozzly shoe shredding dws lime or euro lime, indoors generally, etc. as others have said.   

edit - and Fultonius just mentioned him

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
  • Dave Thomas is an annual climber to 1.7m, with strongly fragrant flowers
  • Don't die with your music still inside you ;)
#34 Re: Is resoling worth it?
November 30, 2020, 10:50:34 pm
Bit of a coincidence there, re your man in Greece  ;)

Regarding Feet First, it's probably worth pointing out that FF in Chesterfield is not the same outfit as Feet First in Sheffield (Chesterfield Road). They split quite a few years ago. I've heard plenty of great reviews for Chesterfield (used to have fell shoes resoled there), but far less favourable feedback about the Sheffield one.

I think I picked a load of Remus' trashed Scarpa's out of a skip about a year ago. (? ;D ) I thought they'd had it, but if I'd read this thread last year, I'd have given it a go, getting a couple of pairs resoled  :2thumbsup:

Think I'll try the Cheshire crew.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#35 Re: Is resoling worth it?
November 30, 2020, 11:38:39 pm
Llanberis Rissoles are good too.

rginns

• junky
  • Holds innit
    • Strongholds
#36 Re: Is resoling worth it?
December 01, 2020, 12:23:20 am
I've had a few 5.10s resoled by Llanberis resoled and it's always been a good experience.
It's never going to be as good as a new pair but has given a new lease of life to shoes I would have otherwise chucked, for less than half the price of a new pair. I think it's worth it.

Wil

• obsessive maniac
    • Wil Treasure
#37 Re: Is resoling worth it?
December 01, 2020, 12:43:10 am
I had some Scarpas Resoled by Torquil 7 years ago and by some miracle I'm still using them despite them being my usual indoor shoes.

They came back with thicker rubber than they started with, which I wasn't overly keen on at first, but the repair was great. I've climber just as hard post resole as before in them.

I had a couple of pairs done by Cheshire Resoles and they were awful. I gave them away to some new climbers. It was a long time ago though.

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
  • Dave Thomas is an annual climber to 1.7m, with strongly fragrant flowers
  • Don't die with your music still inside you ;)
#38 Re: Is resoling worth it?
December 01, 2020, 03:48:50 am
Llanberis Rissoles are good too.

I'm partial to the faggots in gravy myself  ;D

Actually, I think I've been confusing reports about Cheshire/North Wales resoles. Thanks for the recommendation there Mr JR  :thumbsup:  and rginns and Wil for info there too. Definitely sounds worth giving a go.

I think that with climbing having gone mainstream, we should embrace any opportunity there is, to use it to promote sustainability. I think this is lacking somewhat.

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
#39 Re: Is resoling worth it?
December 01, 2020, 07:56:32 am

I think that with climbing having gone mainstream, we should embrace any opportunity there is, to use it to promote sustainability. I think this is lacking somewhat.

There’s something in that, I mentioned resoles to a couple of people at wall (remember walls?) and drew blank looks.

Most recently I’ve had a pair Vapour Vs done at Cheshire and was using them alongside a newer pair. They came back with the mild downturn restored but have now flattened out more ...but so have the newer pair. I doubt they do anything with whatever gives the midsole structure. No real problem with the very thin toe rand added, tidy job too. 8.5/10

tomtom

• forum hero
#40 Re: Is resoling worth it?
December 01, 2020, 08:14:01 am
No reports from the Shoe Shack near Huddersfield?

Yossarian

• forum hero
#41 Re: Is resoling worth it?
December 01, 2020, 08:26:48 am
Another vote for George the Greek guy. My Solutions have gone back for their second resole. After the first (in which he did an amazing job inc repairing the straps) they were virtually as good as new and obvs v comfortable. There are some great pics on his site of some insanely shabby / full of holes Miuras which he repaired.

iain

• forum abuser
#42 Re: Is resoling worth it?
December 01, 2020, 08:54:19 am
Which Feet First does the Foundry use?
Didn't realise there were 2.

Anyway, I've had several pairs of old Vapour V's done by them and always been v.happy with the job. Sent well before there were holes in the toe.

However, now need some Miura VS done if anyone's got any experience?

remus

• forum hero
#43 Re: Is resoling worth it?
December 01, 2020, 09:04:44 am
I've heard similarly good reviews for Greek George. Next time my interest in resoling is suitably piqued he'll be who I'll try.

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#44 Re: Is resoling worth it?
December 01, 2020, 09:26:26 am
Which Feet First does the Foundry use?
Didn't realise there were 2.

Pretty sure there isn't one in Sheffield any longer (their old address is listed as a Barbers) so it'll be the Chesterfield one.

Can't comment on Miuras but I had Katanas done there and they were as good as new

iain

• forum abuser
#45 Re: Is resoling worth it?
December 01, 2020, 11:22:01 am
Cheers Nai

galpinos

• forum hero
#46 Re: Is resoling worth it?
December 02, 2020, 09:59:57 am
I've had a few 5.10s resoled by Llanberis resoled and it's always been a good experience.
It's never going to be as good as a new pair but has given a new lease of life to shoes I would have otherwise chucked, for less than half the price of a new pair. I think it's worth it.

Llanberis/Torquil won't accept 5.10 now fyi.

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
#47 Re: Is resoling worth it?
December 02, 2020, 11:25:11 am
I've heard similarly good reviews for Greek George. Next time my interest in resoling is suitably piqued he'll be who I'll try.

It's really worth holding off until you have 3 pairs, or share a postage with some mates. With royal ail that worked out the sweet spot of weight vs cost for delivery, think it was £11 for 1,2, or 3 pairs, then 4 pairs went up to £30+ as it nudged over the 2kg limit.

tomtom

• forum hero
#48 Re: Is resoling worth it?
December 02, 2020, 11:40:33 am

It's really worth holding off until you have 3 pairs, or share a postage with some mates. With royal ail that worked out the sweet spot of weight vs cost for delivery, think it was £11 for 1,2, or 3 pairs, then 4 pairs went up to £30+ as it nudged over the 2kg limit.

Is this Greek George? http://www.shoedoc.eu/contact.htm

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
#49 Re: Is resoling worth it?
December 02, 2020, 12:13:39 pm
That's the guy. Like I say, I'm now down to almost the rand on 2 pairs of his resolves, but not even a hint of edge peeling or loss of shape.

Guttingly, I seem to have misplaced a pair of VSs that I got resoled they seemed almost better than new when I got them - confirmed to my feet, but with fresh rubber.

He has the actual scarpa and sportiva lasts from the factory, so seems to be able to fully "rebuild" a shoe.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal