UKBouldering.com

Snap Wham - Shoulder Strap Fail (Read 2193 times)

Stabbsy

• junky
Snap Wham - Shoulder Strap Fail
November 27, 2020, 12:14:56 pm
I got a Snap Wham about 6 months ago as my main pad. Generally good pad, nice to land on, etc., but having problems with the shoulder straps. They're of the Velcro type with two overlapping flaps (also with Velcro) to cover them that can then be removed when in use as they're on the landing side of the pad. On two occasions now, the Velcro has come unfastened while carrying the pad. Bit of a strange design in that the top Velcro flap is fundamental to the strength of the carry system as, once this has worked loose, the two other bits of Velcro seem to be useless!

Worth noting that I strap another pad onto the back of it with luggage straps which increases the force on the Velcro. I'd guess it wouldn't happen if I wasn't attaching an extra pad, so I'd struggle to argue it's a fault with the pad.

So, has anyone had the same problem, either with the same pad or one with a similar attachment system? And any ideas on how to fix in such a way that I can still detach the shoulder straps when the pad's in use? Only thought I'd had was to see if I could get some press studs added to the velcro flaps to give them a bit more resistance to the movement you get when you walk, but other ideas gratefully received!

tomtom

• forum hero
#1 Re: Snap Wham - Shoulder Strap Fail
November 27, 2020, 12:27:19 pm
Only time mine have ever failed like this was when I had loads of stuff in and on them... otherwise always been fine...

apw

#2 Re: Snap Wham - Shoulder Strap Fail
November 27, 2020, 01:55:02 pm
Are you putting the Velcro side of the strap facing into the pad? I have a small moon pad with the same type of strap and it would come open pretty easily if the side with the Velcro is not on the right side.

tomtom

• forum hero
#3 Re: Snap Wham - Shoulder Strap Fail
November 27, 2020, 02:01:26 pm
Are you putting the Velcro side of the strap facing into the pad? I have a small moon pad with the same type of strap and it would come open pretty easily if the side with the Velcro is not on the right side.

Mines got velcro on both sides.. uploading a little vid showing it now... give youtube a few min :)

tomtom

• forum hero
#4 Re: Snap Wham - Shoulder Strap Fail
November 27, 2020, 02:48:47 pm

Stabbsy

• junky
#5 Re: Snap Wham - Shoulder Strap Fail
November 27, 2020, 02:56:58 pm
Thanks Tom. Yep, mine's the same, it's just that the top flap doesn't seem to stay attached under load. I can only assume the Velcro that attaches the top flap to the bottom one isn't doing its job properly - bit disappointing after less than 6 months use.

tomtom

• forum hero
#6 Re: Snap Wham - Shoulder Strap Fail
November 27, 2020, 03:07:21 pm
That ones 2 years old.. though I don’t unvelcro the straps often.

Worth cleaning out the velcro?? If it’s got stuff in it (dead grass likes mine).
Failing that the alp kit repair shops (when open) would probably put some new velcro in it for a cheap price...

apw

#7 Re: Snap Wham - Shoulder Strap Fail
November 27, 2020, 03:23:34 pm
Yeah, looks like it would be an issue with the Velcro then.

You could try sewing on a zip?

m.cooke.1421

• regular
#8 Re: Snap Wham - Shoulder Strap Fail
November 27, 2020, 03:36:41 pm
I have a larger Snap pad than the Wham which I have had for >4 years. I normally strap another large pad on the back of it and occasionally put another two on top and haven't had a problem with the velcro coming undone.

When putting the pad on are you lifting it up by a shoulder strap? Pulling outwards on one side is more likely to separate the layers. Have you considered putting the luggage strap through one of the shoulder straps so that it crosses over the velcro point? This might help hold it down.

tomtom

• forum hero
#9 Re: Snap Wham - Shoulder Strap Fail
November 27, 2020, 08:56:45 pm
If you’re in sheff maybe try this lady. Recommended to me by a friend.

https://www.mulchandthebrokenthing.com/galleryandpricelist

BAndy

• player
#10 Re: Snap Wham - Shoulder Strap Fail
December 29, 2020, 08:54:27 am
This happened to me the other day when I had two pads strapped to the back of my Wham.

Repeated use of the velcro over a few years plus the extra weight of the pads seems to be the cause. Velcro is great but unfortunately seems to have a short shelf life under heavy use.

I detached one end of the shoulder strap from its clip at the base of the pad and fed it through the two small straps at the velcro point. It means you can't easily remove the shoulder straps when climbing but it works for carrying heavy loads.

Stabbsy

• junky
#11 Re: Snap Wham - Shoulder Strap Fail
December 29, 2020, 10:31:54 am
I’ve been using the suggestion from Matt (I think) above and that works fine - just have the luggage strap running over the Velcro. Simple but effective and maintains the ability to remove the strap easily when climbing.

honroid

• addict
#12 Re: Snap Wham - Shoulder Strap Fail
February 24, 2021, 08:40:21 pm
I have a larger Snap pad than the Wham which I have had for >4 years. I normally strap another large pad on the back of it and occasionally put another two on top and haven't had a problem with the velcro coming undone.

When putting the pad on are you lifting it up by a shoulder strap? Pulling outwards on one side is more likely to separate the layers. Have you considered putting the luggage strap through one of the shoulder straps so that it crosses over the velcro point? This might help hold it down.

Matt, Stabsy that is a very intelligent idea. :2thumbsup: I have had the same issue and had given up putting anything in the pad or strapping pads to it as the number of times the shoulder straps blew was countless and got more annoying each time. Brilliant.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal