UKBouldering.com

Advice needed: GP wife wants to quit, any suggestions? (Read 8996 times)

ali k

• junky
The issue for most people(i would guess both americans and europeans) is that we have a tendency to spend what is made. FIRe helps many people with this as it focuses on controlling spend to increase income.  I think that is a good thing and 90% of people would probably benefit from this... you don't have to go the fringe for this basic concept to be a good idea.

But isn’t what you talk about more a case of re-learning something that’s been lost in the last 60-70yrs with the rise of consumerism, rather than the principles of FIRE (which is more about escaping work as early as you possibly can)?

andy popp

• forum hero
The issue for most people(i would guess both americans and europeans) is that we have a tendency to spend what is made. FIRe helps many people with this as it focuses on controlling spend to increase income.  I think that is a good thing and 90% of people would probably benefit from this... you don't have to go the fringe for this basic concept to be a good idea.

But isn’t what you talk about more a case of re-learning something that’s been lost in the last 60-70yrs with the rise of consumerism

Most people consumed much less in the past, even the quite recent past, not because they were more thrifty or disciplined but because their economic circumstances left them almost zero opportunities to consume much beyond basic necessities (and often barely enough of those).

ali k

• junky
Most people consumed much less in the past, even the quite recent past, not because they were more thrifty or disciplined but because their economic circumstances left them almost zero opportunities to consume much beyond basic necessities (and often barely enough of those).

I can only go off personal experience of my family and their friends of that generation and that doesn’t hold true for any of them. You may be right of course, but it seems to be much more of a cultural and generational thing to me.

My parents and grandparents lived through rationing and it seems to have had a profound effect on them. It’s taken my parents a very long time to be able to spend any money on themselves despite having plenty. The same was true of my grandparents. Good news for my inheritance of course, but I wish they could get out of the mindset of saving instead of spending a bit more.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
The expectation of my parents (and most of their friends) seems to have been to work at menial jobs you dislike for 50 years until you can draw your pension in your mid 60s.  As much spare cash was spent on weekends at the pub, on hobbies, and holidays as was required to take the edge off the grind of the working week - if a lot of spending was required for psychic self-defence, so be it.

My parents don't quite get the notion that people expect to enjoy or take satisfaction from their jobs. On the other hand, they have a very good sense of work / life delineation, and think it is ludicrous that an employer might expect anything beyond basic competency during their shift, say, caring about the company good or taking work home (very much an "I will perform this task for these hours, don't expect anything at all outside that").

Not sure about people consuming much less in the past - I think food, clothes, and electronics now cost far less, weighted for wages and inflation, than when I was young.  People of my parents' generation would have to spend around a weeks wages on a VHS video recorder or BBC Micro / C64 / Spectrum computer (and that is without being a particularly early adopter).  Maybe there is an attitude these days to spend more on completely disposable items (fast fashion etc) but I think previous generations had to spend more on more basic stuff.  The big unavoidable problem for the young now is housing / rent costs... which is admittedly a pretty  major problem (paying off my mortgage was a definite moment of "finally, I have fuck you money"!)

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
That’s tough for you both. It’s grim being in a job you’ve trained for and done for decades, was a real vocation, but now feels untenable.

Twenty years ago I’d have suggested teaching but not now unless she is completely passionate about this. Academia in the UK has become a business and this doesn’t suit everyone.  I’ve done a bit of consultation for drugs companies which was lucrative but unsatisfactory  (I didn’t tell them what they wanted to hear and wasn’t invited back!) and charities which was satisfying but didn’t pay.

A friend of mine moved into Public Health after developing a medical condition that meant he couldn’t continue as a GP. He really enjoyed it. I would too but I’ve always been interested in the societal dimension of health and illness. You don’t get the direct patient contact which it sounds like she really likes.

I can think of one medic who retrained to become a physio. (but a lot more who went in the opposite direction). She was excellent at it and appreciated the slower pace, less pressured workplace, and greater time with patients. Similar applies to other allied health professions I’d imagine.

One of the challenges of being a GP is you are acting as a de facto counsellor or psychotherapist much of the time, with the attendant pressures these roles bring, but without the support mechanisms built-in when that’s the title on your door. If she likes that facet of her current work then doing it more formally might be a more sustainable path.

Can she take some time out, without cutting all her ties, to consider her options, talk to people doing the jobs she’s considering (this is really important), and give you both a break? It’s hard to make a decision, let alone a good one, when it feels like you’re in the middle of the rip and it’s fast carrying you out to sea. 

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
This last paragraph from Duncan is very true.

Scouse - I’ve still not spoken to my colleague but will do so this week.

Scouse D

• forum hero
Thanks Duncan and FD.
 The current plan is that she takes time out like you suggested for 6 months to a year (we can just about manage that) to assess her options and get off the treadmill. Might give her a chance to remember what it's like to be carefree and decide what sort of things really interest her.
She is already part time, but it's not the sort of job you can just leave at work and it is on her mind every hour of the day.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
Glad you've got a plan.
It's probably worth looking into/ getting advice on the NHS Pension as well, as it can have some effects if you don't continue to contribute.  Some BMA guidance here.

As far as Performers List etc goes, the Regs won't kick in unless you don't undertake any GP work for 12 months.

Good luck.

[EDIT:  Bad spellign again!]

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
All I'm saying is, it's 4 days training and an assessment day she'll cruise it no doubt.

Andy B

• forum hero
  • fishie in a dishie
All I'm saying is, it's 4 days training and an assessment day she'll cruise it no doubt.

Empty words Dixon. You promised me a job share on a rotation 10 years ago, and I’ve not seen shift one from you.

Scouse D

• forum hero

I have suggested it - I'm sure she will come round to the idea soon!

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
All roads lead to rope access Scouse  :P

I've got a fake level 3 certificate that Mrs Scouse D can have. We just need to alter the name.

What could possibly go wrong?

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
You don't get the T-shirt for starters.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal