UKBouldering.com

BMC assessment of lockdown 2 (Read 3484 times)

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
BMC assessment of lockdown 2
November 03, 2020, 01:08:19 pm
On Saturday, the Prime Minister announced plans for a second lockdown in England from 5 November. Lockdown 2 is likely to be different in a number of ways to the initial lockdown we saw in March, but how is it expected to affect climbers and walkers? Our access team take a look....

www.thebmc.co.uk/england-lockdown-2-whats-different-for-climbers-and-walkers

Also there is a live Q&A with Dave Turnbull CEO on Thursday at 1.30pm via the BMC Facebook page

danm

• junky
#1 Re: BMC assessment of lockdown 2
November 03, 2020, 01:29:03 pm
Also, this: https://www.thebmc.co.uk/climbing-the-walls-during-covid

We had a whole strategy battleplan laid out and were finishing off the details with our ABC colleagues, only for it to be sunk before it was launched by Lockdown 2. The fight continues, and at least I won't get bored during the latest lockdown!

tomtom

• forum hero
#2 Re: BMC assessment of lockdown 2
November 03, 2020, 01:38:38 pm
Sadly - the (to me) most important part for clarification is still vague. Not blaming the BMC here but this is where I would love to have more clarification

Can I travel to go climbing or walking?

Current guidance ahead of the lockdown is that it will be OK to travel to exercise if you need to make a short journey to do so. The definition of ‘short’ is open to interpretation, of course, but the guidance also advises avoiding travel in or out of your local area so it seems the intention is to allow exercise near to where you live but not further afield. We’re trying to get further clarification on this, but it does mean that at least local parking is legitimate. Walking and cycling as a means of transport is also encouraged where possible in preference to public transport to avoid the risk of transmission.

danm

• junky
#3 Re: BMC assessment of lockdown 2
November 03, 2020, 01:44:20 pm
Rob is working on it, but believe you me, getting clarity on anything right now is a flipping nightmare. It's like trying to navigate a ship on heaving seas, the deck is slippery with oil and the telescope has a cracked eyepiece so the view is all fogged up. Plus the captain keeps changing their mind on which harbour to seek sanctuary in.

If I had any hair left I'd have pulled it all out by now anyway.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#4 Re: BMC assessment of lockdown 2
November 03, 2020, 01:46:21 pm
Sadly - the (to me) most important part for clarification is still vague. Not blaming the BMC here but this is where I would love to have more clarification

Can I travel to go climbing or walking?

Current guidance ahead of the lockdown is that it will be OK to travel to exercise if you need to make a short journey to do so. The definition of ‘short’ is open to interpretation, of course, but the guidance also advises avoiding travel in or out of your local area so it seems the intention is to allow exercise near to where you live but not further afield. We’re trying to get further clarification on this, but it does mean that at least local parking is legitimate. Walking and cycling as a means of transport is also encouraged where possible in preference to public transport to avoid the risk of transmission.

That part is guidance rather than instruction so there’s no imperative to define ‘short’ given that it’s not against the law to ignore guidance.

tomtom

• forum hero
#5 Re: BMC assessment of lockdown 2
November 03, 2020, 01:47:28 pm
Yes - much appreciated - and not having a go at the BMC at all.. I'm personally glad I don't have to try and get any sensible answers from the 'people' in charge... (even ( :D ) Govt ministers have been giving conflicting advice this morning..)

tomtom

• forum hero
#6 Re: BMC assessment of lockdown 2
November 03, 2020, 01:48:32 pm
That part is guidance rather than instruction so there’s no imperative to define ‘short’ given that it’s not against the law to ignore guidance.

Pop a couple of double negatives in there Shark and there is a career in writing legislation for you :D

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#7 Re: BMC assessment of lockdown 2
November 03, 2020, 02:00:09 pm
Given that MPs are due to vote on it today, is there a copy of the legislation floating about anywhere? I've searched the parliament website to no avail.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#8 Re: BMC assessment of lockdown 2
November 03, 2020, 02:01:30 pm
Given that MPs are due to vote on it today, is there a copy of the legislation floating about anywhere? I've searched the parliament website to no avail.

Probably still being transposed from the fag packets, napkins and wax crayon drawings!

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#9 Re: BMC assessment of lockdown 2
November 03, 2020, 02:03:36 pm
Clearly (to me) 'short' is intentionally vague because it's interpretation will vary depending on where you are.

Don't think so. I'm also waiting for the 'full list of businesses which will have to close'.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#10 Re: BMC assessment of lockdown 2
November 03, 2020, 02:14:08 pm
Vaguely related I see that NT have confirmed they are keeping all parking and cafes open this time https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/ hopefully the water companies will be of the same mind and not barricade their parking this time!

tomtom

• forum hero
#11 Re: BMC assessment of lockdown 2
November 03, 2020, 02:19:06 pm
From the Guardian live feed (15 min ago)

The regulations enforcing the lockdown for England starting on Thursday will also be published later today, the spokesman said.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#12 Re: BMC assessment of lockdown 2
November 03, 2020, 02:43:35 pm
Also, this: https://www.thebmc.co.uk/climbing-the-walls-during-covid

We had a whole strategy battleplan laid out and were finishing off the details with our ABC colleagues, only for it to be sunk before it was launched by Lockdown 2. The fight continues, and at least I won't get bored during the latest lockdown!

All a bit frustrating.

We carefully partitioned off sections of wall/boxes on the mats and marked walkways. Reset so each panel was independent with no cross over. The same in all the training areas.
We installed a massive extraction system (3 actually, one for each of our rooms) that exceeded the required spec by a factor of six.
Closed changing rooms and introduced sequential bog access.
Removed all the hand driers and replaced with paper towels.
Introduced sterilisation/cleaning routines etc etc etc...

Meanwhile, as an aside, we just had our second brush with isolation, because of kids Football. Opposition player from last Sunday’s game (12yrs) got sick the evening after the match and had a positive test back this morning. The father just got a positive back too. The lad, it appears, picked it up in school and his year group bubble has been sent home (no idea about the number of cases, not one of our schools).

The idea that kids, somehow, don’t spread this, is utter shit.

Had a text from the Junior FA rep about an hour ago, confirming that we’re not in the at risk group (lad didn’t play the whole match, was on the pitch for less than 10 minutes whilst our daughter was on etc).
We restricted numbers and rigidly enforced mask rules.

danm

• junky
#13 Re: BMC assessment of lockdown 2
November 03, 2020, 03:25:39 pm
I can't tell you how frustrated I am on behalf of all the walls that have gone to incredible lengths to operate in a Covid secure manner only to be shut down again.

Don't get me started on schools - I live with a teacher and if I get Covid from anywhere it'll be from her. The fact that kids can be in a classroom all day with 30 other people but not play sport outside seems fairly moronic until you realise policy on this isn't really being driven by science and risk but by what is deemed important enough to keep open.

Ru

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#14 Re: BMC assessment of lockdown 2
November 03, 2020, 04:46:03 pm

EDIT: draft regs now out. No restriction in the distance you can go to do outdoor activities, so far as I can see on a quick skim, but it has the same vague "reasonably necessary" caveat that there was in the first lockdown regs:

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020/1200/pdfs/uksi_20201200_en.pdf
« Last Edit: November 03, 2020, 08:24:10 pm by Ru »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal