UKBouldering.com

Power Club 556 2-8 Nov (Read 6254 times)

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#25 Re: Power Club 556 2-8 Nov
November 11, 2020, 10:37:02 am
Late update for me  - goals are

STG: shed some timber (found out I'm c.2 stone over what I weighed a 12/18 months ago)
LTG: a new Font 7a

Diet-wise, better week - sacked off a lot of the weekday stodge (soup for lunch most days rather than sandwiches and crisps etc), didn't touch any sweet fizzy drinks. Not a booze-free week but a significant reduction on previous months.

Exercise-wise - work commitments over lunchtimes scuppered every attempt at a lunchtime run, and the walls closing prevented any climbing / training.

Went to Shipley on Saturday, which despite all-round clag and fog was dry. Kids had a run round the circuit on the top, then we headed down to YMC Wall area which was rammo. Had a proper "Dad session" of running round doing as much as possible in the timeframe allowed.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#26 Re: Power Club 556 2-8 Nov
November 11, 2020, 01:41:13 pm
Sun - sledgehammer and wheel session. Brilliant.

...Barrow? Some demolition perhaps? Does sound brilliant anyway.
It is brilliant indeed.
The story goes as follows: since this past May I've been spending the weekends at my girlfriend's house in the coutryside. As you can imagine, this made me buy some dumbbells to train at hers. As you also can imagine, after a few months, doing endless sets of standard excercises became very boring, so I figured out I could use the stairs outside the garden to do some loaded carries outside with a twist, going up and down the stairs. Unfortunately I get easily bored as of late, and my shoulders and glutes get very achy from that routine, so I got hold of a 30 kg truck tire and bought a 5 kg sledgehammer.
The new session is composed by a set of tire flipping, then a set of one arm tire carry per arm, and then the majestic sledgehammer hits on the tire.
Being able to swing a sledgehammer at will with no damage done (except to your arms, forearms, hands, glutes, abs, lats and hamstrings) while actually being outside is a true gift.
Plus, it makes me a true lunatic in front of her parents and relatives, and that's always a bonus.

tomtom

• forum hero
#27 Re: Power Club 556 2-8 Nov
November 11, 2020, 02:08:13 pm
Ace Lore. I hope you turn up at her house on your bike!

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#28 Re: Power Club 556 2-8 Nov
November 11, 2020, 04:43:42 pm
Ace Lore. I hope you turn up at her house on your bike!
Obviously! You should see some of the roads around there!!! Turns, turns and then more turns!!!
 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2020, 04:50:44 pm by Nibile »

Yossarian

• forum hero
#29 Re: Power Club 556 2-8 Nov
November 11, 2020, 07:26:51 pm
This a great effort surely! Not just the improvement, but 92kg total load is massive! For ref I can also hang approx 90% BW from that edge, and your climbing targets are well within my limits, so it's likely not finger strength holding you back.
Out of interest do you benchmark one arm pull ups too?

No. I did a 141kg pull-up at 101kg (i.e. +40) in August and will try again in the next few days. I quite like Emil Abrahamsson's YouTube thing and noticed him doing 152kg (+70 at 82) which I imagine I won't be far off now.

Just managed 150kg exactly - YYFY, etc.
Now need to reduce the ratio of me : added weight...

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
#30 Re: Power Club 556 2-8 Nov
November 11, 2020, 11:28:04 pm

Being able to swing a sledgehammer at will with no damage done (except to your arms, forearms, hands, glutes, abs, lats and hamstrings) while actually being outside is a true gift.
Plus, it makes me a true lunatic in front of her parents and relatives, and that's always a bonus.

This sounds brilliant!

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#31 Re: Power Club 556 2-8 Nov
November 12, 2020, 08:39:55 am
Archie "Mongoose" Moore one of the murderer's row boxers of the 30-50s supposedly used to do it - and he's one of the great fighters ever.  Also briefly became a fad for modern fighters after Floyd Mayweather Jr posted a few videos of himself doing it.  Tyson Fury is also a fan of tyre flipping and sledgehammers - he used to post videos of his Lake District training camps - like an oddly Withnail & I tinged tribute to the Rocky IV montage.

tomtom

• forum hero
#32 Re: Power Club 556 2-8 Nov
November 12, 2020, 09:51:18 am
like an oddly Withnail & I tinged tribute to the Rocky IV montage.

:D

Duma

• forum hero
#33 Re: Power Club 556 2-8 Nov
November 12, 2020, 11:46:42 am
Going to join in over Lockdown 2 to try and stay motivated...

M - drive back from Cornwall, TCA eve. Limit bouldering on new whites (7A-7C), felt ok considering had done FA the previous week.
T - work, 12hr shift
W - work, 12hr shift. Knackered but went to TCA for last couple of hours before lockdown. More limit bouldering, not too bad considering lack of sleep and energy, but def a step down from Mondays session
T - work, 12hr shift
F - quick shunt session on The Prince (short vert bouldery 8a+ in Avon Gorge) pleased to just about manage the moves, but split a tip after only a couple of goes, def needs colder conditions.
S - Bovey Woods. I'm counting a day trip as local. Split tip not great prep, but turned out almost the whole place was condensed to fuck so didn't really matter. Lot of walking, only found two dry boulders, but one of them was The Woodsman (7A) which was one of the aims. Took a few goes, but managed despite the tape on yesterday's split. Really great slab, and high enough to keep the easier upper half engaging. Not the best in Devon as ukc suggests, but def one of the best hard ones.
S - one arm hangs. BM middle rung, pyramid up to -7kg.

70kg

Duma

• forum hero
#34 Re: Power Club 556 2-8 Nov
November 13, 2020, 02:01:18 pm
Edit: also did 5k easyish run Fri morning - first time since damaging something in my knee on Cider Soak in July (Initially thought LCL, but poss hamstring?). Felt OK, which was encouraging.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal