UKBouldering.com

Liquid Chalk Beta (Read 6313 times)

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Liquid Chalk Beta
October 05, 2020, 10:59:37 am
I've started using liquid chalk when finger-boarding. The driver was to minimise dust in the living area but it seem to be helping hang on a second or two longer when doing repeater-style aerobic power work. Perhaps because it's hard to chalk-up during the three seconds rest. Or perhaps it's placebo.

I'm using the Wild Country version due to availability rather than anything else. It's described as "pure chalk" but - after buying it - I noticed the third ingredient is Colophonium ie pine resin.

Will the resin screw up the (wooden) fingerboard? Will it screw up the rock if I use it outside?

Do any of the different liquid chalk formations work better or worse than another? The ingredient are much more varied than dry chalk but recent discussion here and elsewhere has focused on their antiviral properties.

tomtom

• forum hero
#1 Re: Liquid Chalk Beta
October 05, 2020, 11:09:04 am
Good topic Duncan - was thinking of posting something similar.

Like you I use it mainly at home on the board - where it works great. 2-3 applications does me a session. I use the RockTechnology stuff - that also has some resin in it. I also have some Decathlon elite (or something) LC that is a bit gloopier but seems to work well too.

It leaves my beastmaker a bit sticky (the resin) but I think thats mainly because I have used it before the chalk has dried properly. No such problems on my board - on the wood or plastic holds - all nice and clean still.

I have tried using it outside and my (n=1) findings are: 1. Its shite on grit. I don't bother after trying it a handful of times. Makes things worse rather than better. 2. Its about the same as regular chalk on lime. Sometimes feels better - sometimes feels worse.

I don't have sweaty hands - and appreciate for some its semi essential.

slab_happy

• forum hero
#2 Re: Liquid Chalk Beta
October 05, 2020, 11:10:21 am
I've not noticed any problems using liquid chalk containing resin on wooden fingerboards, but out of caution I have switched to a resin-free version ( https://rockrun.com/products/kletterretter-seventy-liquid-chalk-200ml , since it's also got the required alcohol for hand sanitizing) for use outside.

I do find that liquid chalk seems to keep my hands effectively "chalked" for longer and require less re-chalking.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#3 Re: Liquid Chalk Beta
October 05, 2020, 11:56:34 am
Decathlon Strong and DMM are nicest, although the former dries slowly.

Rock Technologies is a reliable workhorse and gives a good drying crust but I think they've got a new formula as it smells like regurgitated bellend.

Decathlon normal is pretty lame and dries so slowly you might as well apply it during your fingerboard warm-up before the 2 hour drive to the crag.

Secret Stuff should be renamed Secret Slime as it's so slippery it's like applying talc mixed with moisturiser.

Camp (?) Power Liquid is like the worst aspects of the above two combined and the only power is the extra training benefit having to try even harder as you slip off.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#4 Re: Liquid Chalk Beta
October 05, 2020, 12:18:12 pm
Secret Stuff should be renamed Secret Slime as it's so slippery it's like applying talc mixed with moisturiser.

IDK but I think you're supposed to let it dry before climbing.

Dac

• player
#5 Re: Liquid Chalk Beta
October 05, 2020, 02:16:16 pm
I too find friction labs liquid chalk to feel a bit slimy upon occasion, but I don’t seem to find any advantage of Any of the limited liquid chalks I have tried over the normal powdered variety.

As an aside I noticed that Friction Labs also do an alcohol free liquid chalk, which intriguingly they describe as “ ideal for arid climates or climbers with naturally dry skin “. So it’s nice to know that if I ever find myself not needing chalk that there’s a chalk out there that perfect for the job.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#6 Re: Liquid Chalk Beta
October 05, 2020, 06:44:35 pm
 :lol:

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#7 Re: Liquid Chalk Beta
October 05, 2020, 07:26:56 pm
As an aside I noticed that Friction Labs also do an alcohol free liquid chalk, which intriguingly they describe as “ ideal for arid climates or climbers with naturally dry skin “. So it’s nice to know that if I ever find myself not needing chalk that there’s a chalk out there that perfect for the job.
Genius  :2thumbsup:

Will, no shit, that's part of the problem.

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#8 Re: Liquid Chalk Beta
October 08, 2020, 10:44:31 am
Thanks all. The Friction Labs Clayton’s chalk sounds ideal  ;D

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#9 Re: Liquid Chalk Beta
October 27, 2022, 12:51:49 pm
Genius  :2thumbsup:

Will, no shit, that's part of the problem.

Any recent updates on this? I had a bottle of the alcohol free friction labs, wasn't impressed.

One online review seemed to say the Petzl stuff was very good for friction, longevity and cost. But then another said:

The fine powder gets deep into the cracks and creases on your hands, providing more friction and better grip

So basically I don't trust anything else they said...

What the current favourite? Main aim is to reduce chalking on a short sport project.... (that is highly friction dependent)

Nike Air

• forum abuser
#10 Re: Liquid Chalk Beta
October 27, 2022, 01:00:42 pm
Has anyone tried cheese?

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#11 Re: Liquid Chalk Beta
October 27, 2022, 01:16:09 pm
Decathlon Strong

I got some of this, but it says it contains Colophonium (resin) so I've always been reluctant to use it outdoors, is it so low a concentration  that it's OK? Might be why it's so slow to dry.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
#12 Re: Liquid Chalk Beta
October 27, 2022, 01:25:25 pm
Has anyone tried cheese?
Brie for sandstone. Roquefort works best on volcanics. Do let me know how it goes  ;)

Nike Air

• forum abuser
#13 Re: Liquid Chalk Beta
October 27, 2022, 01:27:05 pm
Primula travels well

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#14 Re: Liquid Chalk Beta
October 27, 2022, 02:59:30 pm
Primula travels well

A mate at uni once brushed his teeth with this. Day 4 of a massive bender. As you do.

I would have though those nasty packs of Napolina dried parmesan, that everyone used in the 80s would work? Dry and dusty! No idea why anyone thought that was even halfway good as a substitute for The Real Deal.

ali k

• junky
#15 Re: Liquid Chalk Beta
October 27, 2022, 03:08:56 pm
I would have though those nasty packs of Napolina dried parmesan, that everyone used in the 80s would work? Dry and dusty! No idea why anyone thought that was even halfway good as a substitute for The Real Deal.
My parents still buy that stuff. Makes me gag  :sick:

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
#16 Re: Liquid Chalk Beta
October 27, 2022, 03:33:58 pm
Primula travels well
Righto. :thumbsup: I'll give this a go at the Depot later 

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#17 Re: Liquid Chalk Beta
October 27, 2022, 07:55:37 pm
it contains Colophonium (resin) so I've always been reluctant to use it outdoors, is it so low a concentration  that it's OK? Might be why it's so slow to dry.

I started using liquid chalk on my fingerboard last year and from

How effective it is compared to chalk
How sticky and hard to clean it leaves my BeastMaker
How much it reeks of pine resin and
How it says it’s got pine resin in it on the tube

I can’t help but feel that liquid chalk (the two types I’ve used anyway, Rock Technologies and Ocun) is to pof what “eco pegs” are to bolts.  :worms:

webbo

• forum hero
#18 Re: Liquid Chalk Beta
October 27, 2022, 08:18:35 pm
I was using liquid chalk on my board as it’s in the garage along side the washing machine, tumble drier, boiler and the wife’s bike, plus mine. The missus didn’t want chalk getting on all those. I found it ok but I find the sensation of it on my hands uncomfortable.
So I’ve gradually started using normal chalk and just take the flak or say nothing when it’s mentioned.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#19 Re: Liquid Chalk Beta
October 28, 2022, 10:25:25 am
Pretty sure the tiny amount of resin in Decathlon Strong will make fuck all difference to greasy flaky schist that gets swamped by the sea twice a day.

I got something from a London wall recently that was kinda weird, dried really quick into a very fine powder on my paws. Not sure I'd recommend it.

I think on reflection the DMM stuff is my current favourite. Reasonably long-lasting and less like rotting bellend than the 5 stuff.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#20 Re: Liquid Chalk Beta
October 28, 2022, 12:12:21 pm
the tiny amount of resin in Decathlon Strong

The website says it’s 21% Magnesium Carbonate, 5% Colophonium & 1% Styrax benzoin gum so it’s a little over a 4:1 chalk-to-pof ratio.

The ingredients list for my Ocun stuff (from the tube, they’re not on the Ocun website) is exactly the same but it doesn’t give the percentages.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#21 Re: Liquid Chalk Beta
October 28, 2022, 12:18:17 pm
Pretty sure the tiny amount of resin in Decathlon Strong will make fuck all difference to greasy flaky schist that gets swamped by the sea twice a day.

Yup, you got me that's the only place I climb..

If it wasn't obvious actually it isn't

danm

• junky
#22 Re: Liquid Chalk Beta
October 28, 2022, 01:54:29 pm
I've been really impressed by Gekco chalk, both for it's performance and for their environmental/community policies. The chalk itself is derived from processed seawater rather than being mined in China. I've not used the liquid chalk yet but I do remember Ben (company founder) saying none of their chalk contained resin or additives. Might be worth a go? The standard chalk is as good (OK, I'm a punter, how would I know really?) as the Friction labs stuff.

andy_e

• forum hero
#23 Re: Liquid Chalk Beta
October 28, 2022, 02:10:44 pm
I have a bottle of Gekco liquid chalk that dried out very quickly, and is now a near solid lump of incredibly high viscosity white goop. I'm yet to try adding alcohol to it to reinvigorate it.

Duma

• forum hero
#24 Re: Liquid Chalk Beta
October 28, 2022, 02:19:01 pm
I've been really impressed by Gekco chalk, both for it's performance and for their environmental/community policies. The chalk itself is derived from processed seawater rather than being mined in China. I've not used the liquid chalk yet but I do remember Ben (company founder) saying none of their chalk contained resin or additives. Might be worth a go? The standard chalk is as good (OK, I'm a punter, how would I know really?) as the Friction labs stuff.

This stuff is awful, it's like flour. I'm not fussy about chalk, but would never get it again.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal