UKBouldering.com

Revitalising old mats? (Read 6434 times)

James Malloch

• forum hero
Revitalising old mats?
October 04, 2020, 01:38:44 pm
My big Organic pad has developed some holes at the hinges and the material is fraying around them.

I don’t think they could be stitched back together, but perhaps could have some patches put on them if the foam was taken out.

Does anyone know somewhere that could do this (Ideally in the lakes/Yorkshire)?

Nutty

• obsessive maniac
#1 Re: Revitalising old mats?
October 04, 2020, 04:31:05 pm
Alpkit? https://alpkit.com/pages/repair-station

Could drop off at their Keswick store.

tomtom

• forum hero
#2 Re: Revitalising old mats?
October 04, 2020, 04:48:56 pm
Partially hijacking James thread (sorry)

First - heard great things about pad repairs from the alp kit place in Hathersage.

Second - the foam in my two organic standard pads is getting ‘crisp packet’ effectiveness..

Any idea (a) what type of foam I should get to replace and (b) where do you get it from?

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#3 Re: Revitalising old mats?
October 04, 2020, 05:17:29 pm
I got some replacement foam from Alpkit for my first Organic big which is now 11 or 12 years old. I ordered both but on inspection the closed cell was still in good nick so only used the open. It’s softened v quickly compared to the original but it was v cheap. Just a case of looming on alpkit website and finding which pad had similar foam dimensions.

You can order a full set direct from Organic but obvs this is $$$ especially with shipping.

Repair service sounds good, not heard of anything similar elsewhere.

tomtom

• forum hero
#4 Re: Revitalising old mats?
October 04, 2020, 05:56:47 pm
Think they did the strap loop on Plattsys Ocun for a tenner. Took about ten min too!

36chambers

• forum hero
#5 Re: Revitalising old mats?
October 04, 2020, 10:53:27 pm
You could give https://www.instagram.com/six5machineworks/ a dm for a quote for pad repairs.

He's a climber, based in Leeds, and used to work for Alpkit (I'm pretty sure making pads).

I've got the same issue with both my organics and have been meaning to arrange to get them fixed by him for a while now, I just need it to rain for several days so I won't miss them :devangel:

tomtom

• forum hero
#6 Re: Revitalising old mats?
October 05, 2020, 11:32:50 am
OK  - just bitten the bullet and ordered some replacement foam for one of my standard organic pads from here https://www.efoam.co.uk/

It cost £68 for the three bits of open cell foam (two 2" x 24" x 36" bits and one 1x 48 x 36 that runs along the whole thing).

I went for the more expensive firm option.. I'll see how it goes and report back.

James Malloch

• forum hero
#7 Re: Revitalising old mats?
October 05, 2020, 06:48:07 pm
Thanks for the responses. The pads up in Cumbria now so maybe Alpkit in Keswick would be easiest. If not then I’ll give the guy in Leeds a try as that might end up being more convenient if we get our house move To Skipton sorted soon.

Shame to hear yours have done the same 36C, though they may have had more use than mine...

Mine went pretty quickly whilst my old alpkit and Franklin pads have fared much better. I kind of expected more given the prices. Though the foam is still great, I think it’s just packed in a bit tightly if anything.

tomtom

• forum hero
#8 Re: Revitalising old mats?
October 05, 2020, 07:24:21 pm
Mines the opposite. Cases and straps still absolutely fine. But the foam is shot.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#9 Re: Revitalising old mats?
October 05, 2020, 07:30:25 pm
Jack Sprat..

tomtom

• forum hero
#10 Re: Revitalising old mats?
October 07, 2020, 09:17:18 pm
OK  - just bitten the bullet and ordered some replacement foam for one of my standard organic pads from here https://www.efoam.co.uk/

It cost £68 for the three bits of open cell foam (two 2" x 24" x 36" bits and one 1x 48 x 36 that runs along the whole thing).

I went for the more expensive firm option.. I'll see how it goes and report back.

Foam came in two days. Perfect sizes. Too soft.

Arse. Its about the same in terms of stiffness/cushioning as the stuff that came out. I should have (a) bought some samples first and (b) gone for extra firm instead of firm.

gardinrm

• menacing presence
#11 Re: Revitalising old mats?
October 17, 2020, 12:33:08 am
Bouldering mats typically seem to be filled with two types of foams: softer foam that is quite thick which goes below/between a very dense foam. I have an old alpkit which is getting a bit sad, and I would like either replace the softer foam or add another layer of dense foam (it only has a layer on the top, and I think a later on the bottom would help the mat as a whole).

So, does anyone know where I can buy either of these two types of foam. I've been on a foam wholesale website and it was quite baffling!

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
#12 Re: Revitalising old mats?
October 17, 2020, 01:13:32 am
I bought some replacement foam
from Alpkit a few years ago. I just emailed them and they were happy to help.

sxrxg

• obsessive maniac
#13 Re: Revitalising old mats?
October 17, 2020, 09:17:00 am
Few years ago now however I refilled an Edelrid pad using foam from Foam Furnishings in Stoke (http://www.foamfurnishings.co.uk/foam-cutting.html). They were super helpful recommending the right foam type/density etc and even cut the foam to size and helped me fit it as I got it done in the shop.

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
#14 Re: Revitalising old mats?
October 17, 2020, 10:10:12 am
I got a price from Alpkit, they were nice as pie. Changed my mind in the end when I acquired some offcuts from awesome walls ...awaiting cutting in the shed! Good recycling tho 👍

Bradders

• forum hero
#15 Re: Revitalising old mats?
October 17, 2020, 10:18:25 am

tomtom

• forum hero
#16 Re: Revitalising old mats?
October 17, 2020, 10:51:26 am
Thanks Bradders. Was going to do that.

Now decided I need to go to a foam shop and do some squeezing before getting some.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#17 Re: Revitalising old mats?
October 17, 2020, 11:12:46 am
I use these guys, mainly.

http://www.thefoamshop.co.uk/

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#19 Re: Revitalising old mats?
October 17, 2020, 07:37:14 pm
Mines the opposite. Cases and straps still absolutely fine. But the foam is shot.

You two should join forces, problem shared etc

tomtom

• forum hero
#20 Re: Revitalising old mats?
October 17, 2020, 08:46:50 pm
Few years ago now however I refilled an Edelrid pad using foam from Foam Furnishings in Stoke (http://www.foamfurnishings.co.uk/foam-cutting.html). They were super helpful recommending the right foam type/density etc and even cut the foam to size and helped me fit it as I got it done in the shop.

Yes - thats the kind of thing I should have done. I bought some foam once from SteveR (you reading this Steve? If so what was it?) and it was great... love to know what it was...

Yossarian

• forum hero
#21 Re: Revitalising old mats?
October 17, 2020, 08:58:32 pm
I’ve spent an increasing amount of time beating myself up about not launching an Organic type outfit while I was involved in a furniture business with about 40 industrial sewers, huge fabric cutting benches and daily foam deliveries. It literally never occurred to me to order some cordura and experiment...

Hoseyb

• forum abuser
  • Master of Obscurites
    • www.hoseyb.org.uk
#22 Re: Revitalising old mats?
October 26, 2020, 10:17:36 pm
Having noticed this thread, I had to retrieve an old stashed pad from up the hill. Was water logged and mouldy so I took it to bits and washed the outer. Taking an idea from the thread I wrapped the foam in bin bags and parcel tapped it.
Result is a much younger feeling pad. No miracle, but it's stopped me throwing it out. (too old and crap to refoam, but might shove in some old carry mat).

highrepute

• forum hero
  • Blah
#23 Re: Revitalising old mats?
October 27, 2020, 10:09:05 am
If you ever get a windscreen replaced they come sandwiched between two pieces of foam. Which when stuffed into an old pad give a bit more life. Just ask the fitter if you can have some foam.

SamT

• forum hero
#24 Re: Revitalising old mats?
November 14, 2020, 11:23:50 am

Foam came in two days. Perfect sizes. Too soft.

Arse. Its about the same in terms of stiffness/cushioning as the stuff that came out. I should have (a) bought some samples first and (b) gone for extra firm instead of firm.

Just a warning guys - I tried the same thing from the same company.  I opted for the Extra Firm, thinking that if TT's was a bit soft, the extra firm should do the trick.

Arrived and is unfortunately about the same as the old stuff, if not a bit less dense.  Bum. £50 up the swanny.  :(

I'm a little skeptical that they haven't just sent exactly the same stuff as TT's and would be interested to compare the two, but that's not going to happen in lockdown.

Be interested if anyone has any joy with any other companies.

I called the Stoke place.  They no long seem to be doing the bouldering mats, but I bet if you rocked up at the door, they'd be happy to help.

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
#25 Re: Revitalising old mats?
November 14, 2020, 02:54:33 pm
Try emailing Alpkit. Last time I used them they were happy to help.

rainbow

• menacing presence
#26 Re: Revitalising old mats?
November 14, 2020, 04:14:53 pm
A few years ago I emailed the stoke one and they said they no longer supplied correct type of foam we were looking for. They did however point me the the direction of this company again based in stoke https://www.sydney-heath.com/
Can't remember which type I opted for. They do give out free small samples which was handy to choose from. Think I paid close to £60 and picked it up from factory so no postage costs.

James Malloch

• forum hero
#27 Re: Revitalising old mats?
February 18, 2022, 01:57:41 pm
You could give https://www.instagram.com/six5machineworks/ a dm for a quote for pad repairs.

He's a climber, based in Leeds, and used to work for Alpkit (I'm pretty sure making pads).

I've got the same issue with both my organics and have been meaning to arrange to get them fixed by him for a while now, I just need it to rain for several days so I won't miss them :devangel:

I used this guy to fix my pad in the end - he did a really nice job and works in Skipton a few days a week so I dropped it off to him there.

Really nice patch up and good value too.

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
#28 Re: Revitalising old mats?
February 18, 2022, 02:27:29 pm
acquired some offcuts from awesome walls ...awaiting cutting in the shed! Good recycling tho 👍

This worked pretty well, cutting the sides was easy enough with a panel saw. And once it's inside the covering all is forgiven. Getting the depth cut was more tricky but still doable (I was going from a piece of bouldering wall flooring (say 25cm) to 11cm. I added a bit of extra depth over the original and nibbled a bit off the sides to accommodate the extra volume.

The foam was in pretty good nick really. Not an option generally I guess, just got lucky on the timing of AW replacing/remodelling. The DIY wasn't hard though.

36chambers

• forum hero
#29 Re: Revitalising old mats?
February 18, 2022, 03:14:02 pm

I used this guy to fix my pad in the end - he did a really nice job and works in Skipton a few days a week so I dropped it off to him there.

Really nice patch up and good value too.

+1

I eventually got round to getting my pads done and I'm very happy with the results. Obviously, I still have the same old foam, but the large frayed holes are all neatly patched up and any loose threads, like around the straps, have all been reenforced.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal