UKBouldering.com

Glen Pean beta (Read 1787 times)

turnipturned

• forum abuser
Glen Pean beta
October 02, 2020, 08:58:34 pm
Following on from a comment in another thread.

Glen Pean, does anyone have any good knowledge? Thinking about going at the end of the month for a few days, camping/boothy.

Weather wise, I guess it will be both cold and wet, but still keen for a little adventure.

Is there anything recorded bouldering wise? Any areas worth exploring.

Approach, is it best approaching from the west via loch morar?

Thanks in advance

Alex-the-Alex

• menacing presence
#1 Re: Glen Pean beta
October 02, 2020, 09:41:54 pm
Bold plan but would be an adventure. I've not been so can't comment on the walk in. if your up for a holiday and wanting to make the most of it one option might be to get in touch with Loch morar fishing. They do half days guided fishing but imagine they'd equally be happy to ferry you down for a price. Lochmorar.org.uk

Might be different with covid though. And bothy might be shut too...

Dave never seems great at recording these things other than his videos. Like those ones under an taellach. Jamie in the vid used to work at 3 wise monkeys. You might find him there and he might know more. Last time I saw him he was longboarding down Glen nevis with a couple of pads!

andy_e

• forum hero
#2 Re: Glen Pean beta
October 02, 2020, 10:27:30 pm
Aye, bothies are shut at the moment, so it's camping I'm afraid, or van at the end of the Arkaig road and walk in and out each day.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#3 Re: Glen Pean beta
October 03, 2020, 12:14:21 am
Which might not be awful of you stash your kit.

GazM

• forum abuser
    • Highland ramblings
#4 Re: Glen Pean beta
October 03, 2020, 08:02:05 am
I've never climbed in Pean but have been  a couple of times a long time ago and recall telling Dave about it (among others I suspect). Hes not over-hyping in his vids, it really is incredible.

It would be a long walk with pads and  camping gear so I'd be tempted by camping at the road end and doing (long) day raids. There are bothies at the west and east ends of the Glen, but as Andy says they're currently closed.

The Arkaig road isn't too bad, just long and windy. There's been forestry work along there so good old EU money has been used to make sure it's ok for timber wagons.

Your best bet is contacting Dave about what has been done. I bet he's got pads stashed out there too, which would be pretty handy!

Bradders

• forum hero
#5 Re: Glen Pean beta
October 03, 2020, 08:37:34 am
Sounds like Dave would be pretty psyched for others to get up there and show some interest.

GazM

• forum abuser
    • Highland ramblings
#6 Re: Glen Pean beta
October 03, 2020, 09:12:41 am
Meant to say, weather-wise, late October in the West Highlands could be utterly grim or it could be perfect. If you can, make your plans as late as possible when you've seen a forecast.

It's worth knowing that that part of the Highlands is probably the wettest and that it can be a good bit drier further north and/or east. So if it's looking shit you could press on up the Great Glen to the much drier Strathnairn area south of Inverness (Ruthven, Brin, Rooftown etc), or the north west (Torridon, Applecross, Ullapool etc).

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal