UKBouldering.com

Sit/stand desk (Read 2397 times)

dunnyg

• forum hero
Sit/stand desk
October 02, 2020, 08:58:10 pm
I've been suffering at the dining table for too long, so I am looking for a bit of advice on sit-stand desk. Looking for about 120 x 80 in size but the depth can't be any less than 80. Has anyone used any they can recommend or not to get, or any views in general.

#bigfridaynights

ben

• obsessive maniac
#1 Re: Sit/stand desk
October 02, 2020, 09:09:39 pm
talk of Hound Tor is so long ago eh..   I'm also in the market though so interested to hear responses!

There has to be a crouching variant also right ?

danm

• junky
#2 Re: Sit/stand desk
October 03, 2020, 01:30:22 pm
I got one from Ikea, 120x70 and it's ideal for me. Crank rather than electric. Most desks that are 80 deep are 160 long, so pretty big if thats what you want. I prefer a smaller, cleaner desk myself without files and stuff cluttering the workspace. I've attached my power multi socket block onto the side riser leg with double sided velcro so when I go to stand mode I don't rip the power cables out from my monitor and laptop. The alternative is loads of slack cabling, my way means only the power socket needs to be longer than needed in sit mode. I usually go for standing am, sitting pm on workdays, mixing it up seems to be ideal for me.

JJP

• addict
#3 Re: Sit/stand desk
October 03, 2020, 01:40:24 pm
I have one of these at work and thinks it’s really great. It is electric for rise/ fall and works well - had it 5 years ish with no issues. As above need to consider what’s going on it - we largely have the heavy computers on the desks so as to reduce issues with cable reach etc . If wanted it on floor would need long cables for power etc

jakk

• regular
#4 Re: Sit/stand desk
October 04, 2020, 10:37:11 am
I got one from Ikea, 120x70 and it's ideal for me. Crank rather than electric. Most desks that are 80 deep are 160 long, so pretty big if thats what you want. I prefer a smaller, cleaner desk myself without files and stuff cluttering the workspace. I've attached my power multi socket block onto the side riser leg with double sided velcro so when I go to stand mode I don't rip the power cables out from my monitor and laptop. The alternative is loads of slack cabling, my way means only the power socket needs to be longer than needed in sit mode. I usually go for standing am, sitting pm on workdays, mixing it up seems to be ideal for me.

How do you like this one? Does it feel like it will be sturdy enough over time? Easy enough to use? We're looking at that right now since its a bit cheaper than the electric ones

dunnyg

• forum hero
#5 Re: Sit/stand desk
October 04, 2020, 11:41:58 am
I tried to get one, worth checking if there are any in stock if ypu mees it urgently...

andy popp

• forum hero
#6 Re: Sit/stand desk
October 04, 2020, 11:45:10 am
I can't recommend a specific one but support the idea. I have one at work and though I've not had much chance to be in the office since starting the job, I do like using it. Like Dan said, it's nice to be mix it up across the day. Employees here actually have a statutory right to have one if they wish.

dunnyg

• forum hero
#7 Re: Sit/stand desk
October 04, 2020, 11:48:56 am
Given the lack of ikea stock I am struggling to justify upwards of 350 for a desk, so I think I will stick with a normal one for home, and see about getting one for the office  when I end up going in.
Shame, as the ikea one looks perfect for me!

Paul B

• forum hero
#8 Re: Sit/stand desk
October 04, 2020, 12:28:46 pm
There was another thread on this somewhere (T_B posted a bit).

I find the cheaper IKEA desks (which I have at work) vibrate when you're typing which I found annoying.

The Autonomous units combined with an IKEA top or kitchen worktop seem popular amongst people who make videos about such things on YouTube (search for minimal desk setup).

We've just changed our desk at home as Nat has been at the kitchen table since lockdown which means we've got an Idasen frame and a Gerton worktop now in the garage gathering dust.

danm

• junky
#9 Re: Sit/stand desk
October 04, 2020, 12:44:47 pm

How do you like this one? Does it feel like it will be sturdy enough over time? Easy enough to use? We're looking at that right now since its a bit cheaper than the electric ones
One I got is called Skarsa, in stock in Sheffield apparently. It was easy to put together and seems sturdy enough for my use - monitor on a clamp stand and laptop plus a few notebooks and peripherals like backup drive and headphones. I've not had any vibration issues typing, maybe a bit more noticeable when standing but I tend to read and go through files in the morning and produce content in the afternoon when sitting, so type more then. Or maybe he's heavier on the keys than me! It also stood up to having my DJ rig on it as well, monitors, laptop, controller and a fairly chunk A&H mixer. For under £200 I'm happy despite the ordeal of running the Ikea maze!

Sidehaas

• stalker
#10 Re: Sit/stand desk
October 04, 2020, 12:58:56 pm
My wife is a writer who works from home and has a dodgy back so needed something like this. At the time a few years ago there were no affordable options available that were proper sit/stand but we got one of the larger L-shaped IKEA desks that adjusts by around 10cm in height (so she could get the perfect sitting height) and then I built one of these to create a standing position for her at one end. Obviously you need two monitors if you want to swap regularly between positions without manhandling it about. Works well and is still in daily use. Most if not all the parts are still available and you could easily adapt.

https://alphacolin.com/ikea-standing-desk-for-22-dollars/#comment-689429716

James Malloch

• forum hero
#11 Re: Sit/stand desk
November 19, 2020, 04:41:22 pm
I wondered if anyone uses a standing desk other than the IKEA one? Their stock is all a bit far from me and I could do with getting something ahead of my house move next week when we're going to have one table between the two of us for working and dining...

Paul B

• forum hero
#12 Re: Sit/stand desk
November 19, 2020, 06:03:25 pm
Where are you based? I have an Idasen desk frame (beige) and Gerton worktop that currently are on FB marketplace.

I can't claim there's been much interest  :tumble:

I recently bought Autonomous chairs and based on the quality I wouldn't hesitate in trying their desks.

James Malloch

• forum hero
#13 Re: Sit/stand desk
December 08, 2022, 10:14:12 am
Wanted to bump this up as I’m looking for a sit/stand desk again.

Are the manual Ikea ones any good? Or is the manual aspect a pain?

The ikea electric ones are too wide for the space I have (130cm max) so any other brand recommendations are welcome too.

RobK

• stalker
#14 Re: Sit/stand desk
December 08, 2022, 10:30:29 am
I have a vonhaus electric one for my home office. Use it with my old IKEA desk top. Super value for money, would highly recommend.

https://www.vonhaus.com/vh_en/catalog/product/view/id/4614/s/grey-electronic-sit-stand-desk-frame

ali k

• junky
#15 Re: Sit/stand desk
December 08, 2022, 10:47:34 am
Are the manual Ikea ones any good? Or is the manual aspect a pain?
My gf has one of these and really likes it. She tends to sit down for meetings but stand up the rest of the time so a few seconds winding it up or down isn’t a big deal. Can’t see what benefit the electric motor would bring unless you’re up and down like a pogo stick!

remus

• forum hero
#16 Re: Sit/stand desk
December 08, 2022, 11:43:14 am
I've got a manual ikea one. Winding it up and down doesn't feel like much of an effort. I dont use it standing that often but it's really nice having the option when you're at the desk for a long stretch.

ben

• obsessive maniac
#17 Re: Sit/stand desk
December 08, 2022, 12:01:10 pm
I have a vonhaus electric one for my home office. Use it with my old IKEA desk top. Super value for money, would highly recommend.

https://www.vonhaus.com/vh_en/catalog/product/view/id/4614/s/grey-electronic-sit-stand-desk-frame

yeah I have one very similar, mine is a Dellonda (look for Dellonda workstation on ebay), but seems to be the same kinda thing. Similarly I have paired it with an old desk top.

chris05

• forum abuser
#18 Re: Sit/stand desk
December 08, 2022, 12:26:59 pm
If anyone is interested we have one of these that we don't need anymore. It's pretty basic but works well. Located near Halifax.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal