Youtube
September 18, 2020, 11:14:34 am
Is it me...or has Youtube gone AD Mad? :google: :furious:

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1 Re: Youtube
September 18, 2020, 11:23:20 am
Since they've introduced Premium, they seem to spam it with more and more ads, getting crazy now.

JamieG

• forum hero
#2 Re: Youtube
September 18, 2020, 12:14:50 pm
I have this installed on Chrome. https://adblockplus.org/

Stops a lot of adverts on a lot of websites including YouTube. Occasionally you need to pause it for certain websites that won't let you see the content with an ad blocker running. But a small price to pay for a much better browsing experience overall. Although I suspect it doesn't make Shark happy as it blocks adverts on here too. Although you can whitelist websites where you are happy to see adverts to keep supporting that site (I should probably do that for here).

I ended up donating ~£20 to the adblock project in the end since it is such a good add-on.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#3 Re: Youtube
September 18, 2020, 12:37:43 pm
When you see ads in the middle of YouTube videos that’s down to  the owner of the channel- they can choose how much they monetise their videos, which is basically how many ads appear during the course of them, from zero to all the fucking time.

I guess as the effects of the pandemic bite, businesses that usually make most of their money from something else are having to try and ramp up the amount they get from things like YouTube and people who make all their cash online are possibly unable to make content that’s as interesting as usual so need to monetise the shit out of the thin gruel they’re left with.

colin8ll

• regular
#4 Re: Youtube
September 18, 2020, 12:48:44 pm
New policy. They're auto-enabling mid-vid adverts for any vids over 8 minutes (it was 10 minutes previously and I don't think these adverts were enabled as the default). Video authors can disable these adverts but many don't seem to be doing this. I guess the vid authors are keen on monetising and YouTube are keen on driving people to their premium service (using the stick as opposed the carrot).

scragrock

• obsessive maniac
#5 Re: Youtube
September 18, 2020, 01:01:20 pm
it's the mid vid ads that drive me bonkers :wall:

Also interesting that the channel owners have the facility to close ads down or Not.

Do we really think that Covid has had an adverse financial affect on Youtube?...i would have thought otherwise

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#6 Re: Youtube
September 18, 2020, 01:44:49 pm
I guess if you run a video streaming service, the more content gets uploaded and the more it’s being watched, then the higher your overheads are. So the longer your service is running and the more popular it gets the more income you need to generate to avoid showing less profit than the previous year. Vimeo does it by charging the channel owners (hence the exodus of climbers when they reduced the amount you can upload for free a few years ago), YouTube does it with adverts.

I know what you mean about the mid-video adverts in particular- online videos are rarely structured for ad breaks so it’s totally jarring when they suddenly kick in out of nowhere.

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#7 Re: Youtube
September 18, 2020, 02:36:45 pm
I'm pretty sure that the Youtube algorithm paste the ads in the bit of the video that gets most playtime.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#8 Re: Youtube
September 18, 2020, 02:48:07 pm
I guess if you run a video streaming service, the more content gets uploaded and the more it’s being watched, then the higher your overheads are. So the longer your service is running and the more popular it gets the more income you need to generate to avoid showing less profit than the previous year.

Would be interested in the figures in this, how much they make from advertising vs how much Alphabet make off selling user metadata based on searches, likes, subscriptions etc. Obviously server space costs money but when your parent company has the most server space in the world I bet you get it for pretty cheap.

More and more websites seem to be finding ways around adblocker and I’m sure it won’t be long before there’s no option besides paying YouTube not to sit through adverts.

36chambers

• forum hero
#9 Re: Youtube
September 18, 2020, 03:39:59 pm

Stops a lot of adverts on a lot of websites including YouTube. Occasionally you need to pause it for certain websites that won't let you see the content with an ad blocker running. But a small price to pay for a much better browsing experience overall. Although I suspect it doesn't make Shark happy as it blocks adverts on here too. Although you can whitelist websites where you are happy to see adverts to keep supporting that site (I should probably do that for here).

I ended up donating ~£20 to the adblock project in the end since it is such a good add-on.

+1

I use this and never see ads on youtube

tomtom

• forum hero
#10 Re: Youtube
September 18, 2020, 04:08:03 pm
Same here. Also use privacy badger to block lots of tracking things. It’s quite a cool add on that allows you to tweak what you allow for different websites.

remus

• forum hero
#11 Re: Youtube
September 18, 2020, 05:17:51 pm

Don't forget to disable it on sites like UKB, where the ads are relevant, unobtrusive and keep the servers running.

andy_e

• forum hero
#12 Re: Youtube
September 18, 2020, 11:00:56 pm
Does having it active on UKB reduce the amount of income the site gets? What's the 411?

remus

• forum hero
#13 Re: Youtube
September 19, 2020, 09:09:34 am
Does having it active on UKB reduce the amount of income the site gets? What's the 411?

Not directly, but if an advertiser happens to go on ukb and see a thread where everyone says they're using an ad blocker then you might be tempted to reconsider buying those ads as apparently no one is actually looking at them.

tomtom

• forum hero
#14 Re: Youtube
September 19, 2020, 10:56:23 am
I see them on my phone so don’t worry... :)

Ukb isn’t too bad in terms of tracking/other shit. The Independents website is awful in that regard. Near unreadable without an ad blocker.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal