UKBouldering.com

Local Lockdowns (Read 64221 times)

James Malloch

• forum hero
Local Lockdowns
September 07, 2020, 02:25:19 pm
At the start of lockdown we decided to move off our boat and rented a property from some family. We're now in the process of buying a house, which we will hopefully be in by mid-November, and are considering moving back onto the boat for the last few months to save a bit of rent and get back to our old lives/community for a while.

However, the boat is in central Leeds which looks set for a possible local lock down, but I'm not quite sure what this means. Is there any consistency (lol) across what's been implemented in other areas so far?

We've now got an office space sorted so we could continue to work, but things like climbing walls would be our only form of sanity/exercise in the evenings. This would be the main thing for us as there just isn't the space to keep active whilst aboard.

It would be really useful to hear the experiences of those who've been subject to a local lockdown and what it meant you could no longer do.

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#1 Re: Local Lockdowns
September 07, 2020, 02:47:28 pm
In Leicester the lockdown meant pubs and gyms didn't reopen in line with everywhere else and for a while the line of 'essential travel only' was pushed. Pubs and the travel line were dropped swiftly but the gyms are only allowed to open from tomorrow. Visiting other peoples houses isn't allowed. It is by a distance the most stringent local lockdown yet.

Elsewhere the lockdowns have only included the element of not visiting other peoples houses with gyms and pubs remaining open and I can't see that changing in the event Leeds is classified in that group. I think you'd probably be fine on the boat.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#2 Re: Local Lockdowns
September 07, 2020, 02:52:07 pm
We just had one in Aberdeen (I'm in Aberdeenshire).

In general, all "hospitality" was closed again, all non-essential services / shops closed again (climbing wall etc had not yet reopened anyway).

No non-essential travel into or out of the city was allowed, but everything outside of it was the same. We could go round the city on the bypass, but technically not got straight through.

Anti

• menacing presence
  • Potato
#3 Re: Local Lockdowns
September 07, 2020, 02:54:09 pm

In general, all "hospitality" was closed again, all non-essential services / shops closed again (climbing wall etc had not yet reopened anyway).

No non-essential travel into or out of the city was allowed, but everything outside of it was the same. We could go round the city on the bypass, but technically not got straight through.

My interpretation of the rules in England were that local lockdowns didn't impact travel for residents, but only the services etc. I may be wrong though.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#4 Re: Local Lockdowns
September 07, 2020, 04:14:55 pm
This is Scotland, the Sturgeonator is in charge.

tomtom

• forum hero
#5 Re: Local Lockdowns
September 07, 2020, 05:14:55 pm

My interpretation of the rules in England were that local lockdowns didn't impact travel for residents, but only the services etc. I may be wrong though.

In Bolton I believe people are now advised not to use public transport except for essential journeys. Think it was the same in Leics. 

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#6 Re: Local Lockdowns
September 07, 2020, 05:34:15 pm
I live in Ilkley, which was in the Bradford local lockdown, and did not notice any difference - streets and cafes thronged with people.  I didn't try to visit any houses of friends / family, so it had no discernable effect on my life.

James Malloch

• forum hero
#7 Re: Local Lockdowns
September 07, 2020, 05:37:22 pm
Sounds like we should be fine on the whole then. Main thing for us is having access to somewhere to exercise that’s not running through the city centre. We’re really close to city bloc so that should cover us for most things.

Thanks!

Paul B

• forum hero
#8 Re: Local Lockdowns
September 08, 2020, 03:23:19 pm
I live in Ilkley, which was in the Bradford local lockdown, and did not notice any difference - streets and cafes thronged with people.  I didn't try to visit any houses of friends / family, so it had no discernable effect on my life.

As per the other thread, it's going to depend on the flavour of your particular restrictions:
https://twitter.com/JenWilliamsMEN/status/1303313921483378688?s=19

SA Chris

• forum hero
#9 Re: Local Lockdowns
September 08, 2020, 03:42:23 pm
Main thing for us is having access to somewhere to exercise that’s not running through the city centre. We’re really close to city bloc so that should cover us for most things.

Assuming it doesn't get closed.

James Malloch

• forum hero
#10 Re: Local Lockdowns
September 08, 2020, 03:52:24 pm
Main thing for us is having access to somewhere to exercise that’s not running through the city centre. We’re really close to city bloc so that should cover us for most things.

Assuming it doesn't get closed.

Yeah that's the worry for us. We could cope with it for a bit but if the house was delayed or fell through and we were stuck in a 15sqm space we'd very quickly go mad. Starting to miss our normal (i.e. where we usually live) a lot...

tomtom

• forum hero
#11 Re: Local Lockdowns
October 11, 2020, 07:24:45 pm
Heads up for climbing walls: Sky news reporting now that the (presumed) Tier3 lockdown in Liverpool will also mean closing of Gyms - which probably means climbing walls too....

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-liverpool-faces-tier-3-lockdown-pubs-bars-and-gyms-expected-to-close-12101965

Not completely clear if this would be the same in other ‘Tier 3’ areas that will probably be Manchester and the NE too... but I’d suspect it will be...

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
#12 Re: Local Lockdowns
October 11, 2020, 07:51:23 pm
Let's be honest, if there were zero COVID cases in Liverpool then this bunch of Tory tw@s would still be looking for an excuse to shut the city down. COVID gives them the excuse.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#13 Re: Local Lockdowns
October 11, 2020, 07:58:34 pm
I'm no Tory fan, Andy, but that is quite a stupid thing to say.

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
#14 Re: Local Lockdowns
October 11, 2020, 08:00:53 pm
Will, the Tories have underfunded Liverpool for decades, ever since the 'managed decline' of the 80's. The hatred runs deep around here.

Sidehaas

• stalker
#15 Re: Local Lockdowns
October 11, 2020, 09:52:45 pm
Let's be honest, if there were zero COVID cases in Liverpool then this bunch of Tory tw@s would still be looking for an excuse to shut the city down. COVID gives them the excuse.
Economically, depending on the details of the financial schemes Tier 3 might be better than Tier 2. Around L22/23 where I am most places are relatively really quiet now and quite a few places already shut (mostly temporarily) when the current set of restrictions came in. There just aren't enough customers once people can't meet up with someone outside their household. Especially because if you are in a household, going out for dinner seems a silly idea when your area has 400+ cases per 100k* Covid that week. So forcing places to shut for a while and compensating them is probably better than the status quo.
I just hope they don't stop us leaving the area, which was rumoured yesterday/today. That would wind me up, I don't see it being a significant driver of infection (I suppose excluding the possibility that people decide to travel out for a group night on the piss). Closing hospitality and maybe shops/leisure is warranted, the infection is sky high round here at the moment. Rates are almost certainly higher than they were here in spring.

* The current 400 figure is a Sefton average that includes Southport and Formby where they have got off lightly, so rates from Crosby down to Bootle are probably more similar to the 600 in Liverpool and Knowsley.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 09:58:56 pm by Sidehaas »

gme

• forum hero
#16 Re: Local Lockdowns
October 11, 2020, 10:17:18 pm
It’s got nothing to do with the torys hating Liverpool. Comments like that perpetuate the wingeing we are so badly done to scousers stereotype.

It’s due to the fact that the numbers are high and getting higher quickly.

They are high in the north east as well but compared to Liverpool manchester and others we look good. 

galpinos

• forum hero
#17 Re: Local Lockdowns
October 12, 2020, 07:40:05 am
It’s got nothing to do with the torys hating Liverpool. Comments like that perpetuate the wingeing we are so badly done to scousers stereotype.

It’s due to the fact that the numbers are high and getting higher quickly.

They are high in the north east as well but compared to Liverpool manchester and others we look good.

Using the MSOA data (Middle Layer Super Output Area, a geographical area with a mean pop of 7200), all the high student areas in Manchester are dropping very quickly after the initial outbreak and are lower than the Newcastle "City Centre and Arthurs Hill" area, for example, which is also on the rise.

The MSOA data shows Nottingham and Leeds are on the up......

https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1315332198606819329?s=20

What I find frustrating is if we need to lockdown, why the wait? The traffic light system was "pre-announced" last week, will be announced today and will be implemented Wednesday at the earliest? That's over a week. My local area was pretty busy over the weekend, had a very "we'd better go out before it all closes again" vibe.

tomtom

• forum hero
#18 Re: Local Lockdowns
October 12, 2020, 07:54:05 am
Exactly Nick. It’s like March all over - dither about for a week... and with cases doubling every 10 days that’s at least an extra 50% of cases. 🤦‍♂️

Duncan campbell

• junky
#19 Re: Local Lockdowns
October 12, 2020, 08:16:16 am
Anyone know where to find if your area is medium, high or very high risk?

Really worried about Sheffield being judged high risk and the walls closing. Think that might kill me at the minute.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 08:31:29 am by Duncan campbell »

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#20 Re: Local Lockdowns
October 12, 2020, 08:23:01 am
Anyone know where to find if your area is medium, high or very high risk?

As far as I can see this is still in the ‘pre announced’ stage as Galpinos said, looks like it will be announced this evening.

chris j

• forum abuser
#21 Re: Local Lockdowns
October 12, 2020, 08:29:19 am

What I find frustrating is if we need to lockdown, why the wait? The traffic light system was "pre-announced" last week, will be announced today and will be implemented Wednesday at the earliest?

From what I've been reading over the weekend (in such reliable sources as the Guardian), it's because they've spent the last week negotiating with the local authorities to not have them respond with open revolt...

chris j

• forum abuser
#22 Re: Local Lockdowns
October 12, 2020, 08:31:14 am
 :off:
Will, the Tories have underfunded Liverpool for decades, ever since the 'managed decline' of the 80's. The hatred runs deep around here.

I think that's a 'g' on ukb political buzzword bingo!

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#23 Re: Local Lockdowns
October 12, 2020, 08:36:08 am
I take the point, Nick, Tom, but the alternative would be that they make a snap announcement and are accused of lack of consultation.

(What Chris said)

In a similar vein there was a news story that popped up on my social media today about the value £1bn worth of contracts awarded without tender. The alternative is a tender process that delays the start date and might mean you end up working with someone new - not necessarily a bad thing but I can understand the desire to work with existing partners who you already have a relationship with if time is of the essence.

galpinos

• forum hero
#24 Re: Local Lockdowns
October 12, 2020, 08:52:38 am
I take the point, Nick, Tom, but the alternative would be that they make a snap announcement and are accused of lack of consultation.

(What Chris said)

But it shouldn't be a snap announcement. They should be in constant conversation with local government, leaders and public health officials. There should be a clear "roadmap" as to what would trigger further restrictions so everyone knows what is going on. The "snap decision" scenario we are now in is because the government has been working in isolation, not listening to local leaders and making decisions off the cuff.

In a similar vein there was a news story that popped up on my social media today about the value £1bn worth of contracts awarded without tender. The alternative is a tender process that delays the start date and might mean you end up working with someone new - not necessarily a bad thing but I can understand the desire to work with existing partners who you already have a relationship with if time is of the essence.

There's context here though. Quite a few contracts have been awarded, without a tender process, to new companies with connections to the tory party or their donors, when existing companies/organisations with competence in the field and a track record of delivery were overlooked.

My real issue is that the government have burnt through the goodwill from the first lockdown. A lot was sacrificed to get the numbers down for the summer an, in simple terms, we've fucked it and are back to where we were at the start of the year. The public's appetite to lockdown again, only for the government to squander the gains is probably minimal.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal