UKBouldering.com

Shoe resoling test... (Read 3378 times)

tomtom

• forum hero
Shoe resoling test...
September 01, 2020, 02:13:52 pm
I've got three pairs of identical rock boots - all worn to pretty much the same state - so I'm thinking of conducting my own little shoe repair survey and sending each pair to a different re-soler then comparing the job they did. So - who should I send them to?

Feet first seem like an obvious one to try so they are on the list.

Normally I would add Torquil (Lanberis resoles) but he seems to be in midst of moving workshops and not taking any at the moment (looking at his FB feed)...

So after two others. Suggestions? Google reveals quite a few - even some local to me here in Manchester....

Anti

• menacing presence
  • Potato
#1 Re: Shoe resoling test...
September 01, 2020, 02:22:41 pm
He also took a significant spill from his bicycle, so believe resoling off the cards for a bit?

I've had Cheshire Resoles do some before and do a shit job, so while a test, I'd still say avoid 'em if you want usable shoes after. I often see a Greek chap mentioned a lot, but have no more info than that.

tomtom

• forum hero
#2 Re: Shoe resoling test...
September 01, 2020, 02:24:37 pm
He also took a significant spill from his bicycle, so believe resoling off the cards for a bit?

I've had Cheshire Resoles do some before and do a shit job, so while a test, I'd still say avoid 'em if you want usable shoes after. I often see a Greek chap mentioned a lot, but have no more info than that.

Taa. On google saw a chap in Holmfirth called the re-soling hut or something like that...

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#3 Re: Shoe resoling test...
September 01, 2020, 02:48:20 pm
I feel compelled to defend Cheshire as they've always done a great job for me. Llanberis is superior but if you need the rand doing as well Cheshire are really good value and always been fine.

M1V0

• addict
#4 Re: Shoe resoling test...
September 01, 2020, 02:53:28 pm
Similarly, I had Cheshire Shoes resole three pairs of my shoes and couldn't fault them, including putting an edge on some futuras, which I know affectionately refer to as the frank-futuras. They even gave me a free pen.

Nutty

• obsessive maniac
#5 Re: Shoe resoling test...
September 01, 2020, 03:15:16 pm
Scarpa say this bloke is their 'official climbing shoe partner in the uk' (though give him third billing on their website below Llanberis Resoles and Feet First) - https://en-gb.facebook.com/pages/category/Shoe-Repair-Shop/Chida-1476025036041857/

I think this is the Greek chap Anti mentioned: http://www.shoedoc.eu/rock%20climbing.htm

No experience of either, but similarly have a few pairs that could do with a resole.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#6 Re: Shoe resoling test...
September 01, 2020, 03:16:30 pm
George @ http://www.shoedoc.eu/rock%20climbing.htm

Need to send 3 pairs to make postage reasonable, so maybe get some mates involved?

Loved my resoled Boostics and Instincts. Better than new!

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
#7 Re: Shoe resoling test...
September 01, 2020, 04:56:29 pm
2 pairs of Vapours here, one on an original sole and one with a Cheshire resole and can't tell the difference. Nice family business. I used them a few times 20 years ago and working nearby. Wasn't sure if they'd cope with more modern downturned shoes. He showed me a few in the shop of all brands and they all looked smart enough. Stockton Heath also has some nice caffs.

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
#8 Re: Shoe resoling test...
July 30, 2021, 05:54:01 pm
Did you ever do this?

I've got a few pairs in pretty worn states, and wondering about sending out to Greece. My initial reading of the EU import rules is that it's highly complex, and if you're unlucky you'll get whacked for VAT/DUTY....

So, I have plan to go over to the Netherlands to visit the GFs family, post from their and pick them up later!

Mike Highbury

• addict
#9 Re: Shoe resoling test...
July 30, 2021, 06:39:37 pm
Hasn’t he buggered off to live in the States?

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#10 Re: Shoe resoling test...
July 30, 2021, 06:50:41 pm
Can the Greek guy be so much better than UK options to make it worth it? Llanberis resoles seem to be operating as usual now.

webbo

• forum hero
#11 Re: Shoe resoling test...
July 30, 2021, 07:27:02 pm
Indeed the Greek gentleman has gone the states.

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
#12 Re: Shoe resoling test...
July 30, 2021, 08:56:13 pm
Dang!

Not tried the UK in a while, but pre-brexfuckingwankshit it wasn't much hassle, cheaper and, yes, better than anyone in the UK. (by accounts of a few people I trust who have used most of the UK outfits).

The shoes I'd had done by George were genuinely better than new as they were fitted to me, but resoled.

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#13 Re: Shoe resoling test...
July 31, 2021, 05:55:59 pm
I've had some decent jobs done by feet first in Sheffield. The best resoles I've had were a climbing shop in Cornudella near Siurana, the bloke there did an amazing job, especially as he did them immediately when I went in; had a coffee and they were done!

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
#14 Re: Shoe resoling test...
April 10, 2023, 09:12:34 pm
There are a few threads on here about resoling, but this seemed the most apt.

I have quite a few of the necessary tools for doing DIY resoles and considering having a go... One of the guys I climb with has done some himself too.

I was wondering about lasts. It seems like it should be possible to take an old pair of your favourite shoes and take some kind of mold from it?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal