UKBouldering.com

Moon vs AlpKit pads (Read 1678 times)

CrimpyMcCrimpface

• player
Moon vs AlpKit pads
August 27, 2020, 12:23:54 pm
I'm looking to buy a new pad but it appears the global pad shortage continues even as we crawl out of lockdown.

I've always had Moon Warrior pads, the first I've been using for ten years and the other maybe a year old. For the money I've always thought them to be great and would have just gone to buying another if they were in stock. But as they're not I started looking at AlpKit.

Does anyone has any experience with AlpKit pads and the foam, how they would compare to Moon? The Project looks pretty good value if the foam can hold up though I prefer taco.

Interesting you can buy the shell and the foam for the Warrior on the Moon site, but not the assembled pad. Same price though so this is still an option. I don't want to put new foam in the old shell because I want a third pad.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#1 Re: Moon vs AlpKit pads
August 27, 2020, 01:24:06 pm
A hard choice between two UKB sponsors

Buy both  ;D

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#2 Re: Moon vs AlpKit pads
August 27, 2020, 01:26:41 pm
Other crashpads are also available (don't forget to plug the other one; DMM do good pads too).

CrimpyMcCrimpface

• player
#3 Re: Moon vs AlpKit pads
August 27, 2020, 01:39:20 pm
Other crashpads are also available (don't forget to plug the other one; DMM do good pads too).

yeah but they're all sold out booo

yetix

• forum abuser
#4 Re: Moon vs AlpKit pads
August 27, 2020, 02:18:12 pm
Bradders has new model of both Moon Warrior and Alpkit Project pads (think the straps have changed slightly and worsened as a result but you can email them asking for the old one and they might sort accordingly) so might be able to help.

From climbing with Bradders and his Project pad I would say I really rate the pad he had, felt real safe falling from large heights with that bad boy below me, its also massive in terms of area covered and not too heavy which is nice.

Bradders

• forum hero
#5 Re: Moon vs AlpKit pads
August 27, 2020, 02:26:12 pm
I have the Alpkit Project. I bought mine in November last year and have used it at least twice a week, every week (including during lockdown as I use it for my board).

I'd recommend the version I have in a heartbeat. I got it for £200 when Alpkit were having a site wide sale, so it was unbeatable value for money wise and their customer service was brilliant (they didn't have any in stock, but I emailed them asking if they'd make one for me, and they did!).

The foam is great and I really like that it has two closed cell layers. It makes it great to land on on uneven surfaces. So far it's holding up well and I haven't noticed it soften that much. It's also very thick, which again makes it very comfy to land on regardless of height.

It's also absolutely flipping massive. It genuinely just won't fit in most cars. It's bigger than any other pad on the market, which is great as long as you can get it to the crag; I've often been able to go out with just the Project where previously I'd have taken two other pads. I wouldn't say it's any heavier than others though.

The carry system is good and comfortable, although I did recently break it and had to sew the straps back on (I'd been strapping two other pads, plus fan, etc. to it, so not that surprising).

HOWEVER....I understand that since I bought mine they've completely changed the carry system. UKC reviewed it recently and were scathing, rightly so. I can only guess that they needed to cut costs, as it sounds like the new version is a total pain to lug around (apparently the straps just fall off at times and are only secured with velcro centrally, which comes off as soon as you try to carry anything else in it). Have a look at the UKC review.

Hope that helps.

CrimpyMcCrimpface

• player
#6 Re: Moon vs AlpKit pads
August 27, 2020, 04:48:55 pm
Thanks Bradders & Yetix that's really helpful. I had a look at the UKC review and the adjustment to the shoulder attachment looks like its really ruined the product. One of my favourite things about Moon is how much abuse you can give the shoulder straps. Would be great to have a huge pad but if I can't strap another two to it then it can't complete the task of padding out obscure remote highballs.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal