UKBouldering.com

Chalk beta... (Read 15515 times)

mark20

• junky
#100 Re: Chalk beta...
April 04, 2023, 01:36:48 pm
If you want to experiment with drying agent , I can drop some round for you. I find it makes a difference and have had good feedback from others

Dingdong

• forum abuser
#101 Re: Chalk beta...
April 04, 2023, 01:38:52 pm
I have dry skin and find rock tech gives me splits every time I’ve used it, so beware on that.

It doesn’t matter anyways, chalk will feel different for everyone so you’re probably better off experimenting before buying a whole tub of whatever chalk

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#102 Re: Chalk beta...
April 04, 2023, 02:08:45 pm
There should be a boutique chalk vending store which stores small quantities in a controlled environment, along with sample holds of different rock types you can hang odd in different climatically controlled rooms.

"I think I'll try the BD Black Gold, with just an extra percent of drying agent mixed in"

"An excellent choice sir, let me just prepare that for you"

CrimpyMcCrimpface

• player
#103 Re: Chalk beta...
April 04, 2023, 02:13:48 pm
So 8c+ (the artist formerly known as beta) chalk is also not available in the uk now (according to Rich in V12).

Another 8C+ enjoyer.. I was also having a panic after trying this chalk once, loving it, and then its gone forever..

I've just (this Sunday) ordered several blocks of 8C+ from trekinn.com which is some sort of subpage of tradeinn.com. I've never used it before, £8.99 shipping, and from the tracking link it appears to be coming direct from Spain, fingers crossed. The packaging and logo appear to be slightly different on their page but I'm hoping it's the same chalk and this is just from it being an old picture. If it arrives before Thursday then I'll post here and update otherwise it will be a week before I can check.

Moon used to be my previous fav

Duncan campbell

• junky
#104 Re: Chalk beta...
April 04, 2023, 07:04:24 pm
If you want to experiment with drying agent , I can drop some round for you. I find it makes a difference and have had good feedback from others

Nice one - will see how this chalk is and give to a shout!

danm

• junky
#105 Re: Chalk beta...
April 04, 2023, 09:12:38 pm
On the environmental side the Gekco stuff feels pretty compelling, sourced in the UK without any mining, whereas nearly all other chalk is mined in China and then shipped often with added chemicals which I don't like - drying agents fuck my skin big time. I thought it was pretty good performance wise but I am a punter...

SA Chris

• forum hero

leonjoyce88

#107 Re: Chalk beta...
April 28, 2023, 10:59:19 am
https://www.kletterkalk.co.uk/product-page/extreme-moisture-control

Anyone tried this?

I got some at a demo last week and have been using it since Saturday. Was told it would take about a week of applying twice daily to get the full effect. Have noticed some improvement so far indoors I'm getting out tomorrow so I'll post an update.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#108 Re: Chalk beta...
April 28, 2023, 11:17:15 am
Cheers, interesting to hear.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#109 Re: Chalk beta...
April 28, 2023, 08:47:32 pm
Okay so I got some Black Diamond Black Gold in Font which came with the expected annoying prattle to justify the price tag:

Black Gold Chalk is scientifically engineered to enhance your grip. By combining our classic White Gold, the most trusted chalk on the market, with 10% Pure Gold—a concentrated form of hyper-absorbent Upsalite—we’ve created Black Gold, an additive-free blend of chalk with TWICE the absorption of regular chalk.

Looking further at "Pure Gold"

Featuring a concentrated formula of Upsalite—a scientifically engineered form of magnesium carbonate that absorbs 10 times more moisture than regular chalk—Pure Gold is an additive-free chalk that will enhance your grip. Mix it with loose chalk to customize your blend or used as a pre-coat to optimize your grip.

Can basically STFUpsalite. Although reading the similar waffle on the back of the packet, apparently that.....stuff is normal magnesium carbonate with some sort of different physical "structure" to make it more expensive absorbent.

However here's the clincher. It seemed pretty good. It's a bit hard to tell as I was being as fussy as usual about conditions and had finally got to stage where my skin had grown back to something noticeably better than a peeled babies butt, but it did seem good. A bit crunchier than usual (which is my preference), and pretty, well, dry.

So it could be a winner, price aside.

petejh

• forum hero
#110 Re: Chalk beta...
April 29, 2023, 10:38:21 pm
Upsalite info here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mesoporous_magnesium_carbonate
Says its' a a nano material with a greater surface area than normal magnesium carbonate. Developed in Uppsala University, hence the name:   
The first patent on MMCs was granted in 2017,[4] and it is now being commercialized by the spin-out company Disruptive Materials AB in Uppsala, Sweden, for applications within cosmetics, sport products and other technical areas. MMCs is also being investigated within pharmaceutical applications.

For a self-confessed sweat monster like yourself Fiend it sounds like you might have found your dream product. Bet Dave Mac bathes in it. Also sounds potentially handy for controlling humidity in damp environments.

User deactivated.

• forum hero
#111 Re: Chalk beta...
April 30, 2023, 12:03:08 am
Fiend, you're not imagining it; Black Gold chalk is the business. It's the best one i've ever used and it's not even close.

leonjoyce88

#112 Re: Chalk beta...
May 04, 2023, 03:47:56 pm
An update on Kletterkalk sweat guard

I found it was quite effective at reducing the amount of sweat my fingers were producing which almost completely stopped me sweating through my chalk but doesn't seem to be causing any of the skin-hardening effects that I get with methenamine-based products.

I have super soft skin so the lack of skin hardening is kind of a deal breaker for me especially when I can use methenamine products which I don't have to apply twice a day and do a good job of hardening and stopping the sweating.

It might be an option if you want to reduce sweating without drying your skin out

SA Chris

• forum hero
#113 Re: Chalk beta...
May 04, 2023, 03:59:10 pm
Cheers for the test. I have a bag of Black Gold, Bought from BD to reach a free postage threshold, will bust it out when it's really needed. I have so much chalk now I may never need any more ever. It will be part of my will.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal