UKBouldering.com

Products that doesn't exist but should (Read 11870 times)

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
Products that doesn't exist but should
August 19, 2020, 01:19:29 pm
I would think that there would be a place in the market for:

1. Lightweight approach shoes. (Nope, Evolv Cruzer would have been close to lightweight if they had used something less daft than canvas for the uppers, but they have now been discontinued. The lightest approach shoes on the market now are about the same weight as two camalot 5s. No one clips that to the harness unless they must. The lightest trail-running shoes on the market weight about as much as a quickdraw, for comparison)

2. Small haulbags. Surely no one need more than 20 l capacity for a wall that can be done in a day? 35 l is the smallest I've seen: what on earth are people bringing on the routes?

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
I just use ON Cloudventure Trail running shoes as approach shoes these days. I ran in them for a while, but decided they were a bit too stiff, and the heels lacked adequate support for runnning any significant distance. Great for approaches though, grip excellent on anything from loose gavel to rock to wet grass, and pretty light. Not even vaguely waterporoof though.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
3. Grammar checker for forum post titles??   ;) (sorry)

4. Proper brush drill bits to fit on a rechargeable modelling drill to clear out grotty pockets and slots.

5. Chalk suspension drink that actually causes you to sweat out chalk.

6. Harness clipped liquid chalk dispenser for use en-route.

7. Kneepad with different size inserts to make the more compact gentleman's shins fit those morpho "barrows" kneebars.

8. Drone-disabling EMP charge catapult.

...there may be more...

tomtom

• forum hero
6 exists..

9. A potion/lotion that makes your skin thicker / tougher without fucking it up

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
haha!

No. It is better to suffer eternal shame.

4. Proper brush drill bits to fit on a rechargeable modelling drill to clear out grotty pockets and slots.

7. Kneepad with different size inserts to make the more compact gentleman's shins fit those morpho "barrows" kneebars.

...there may be more...

No 8: I buy that any day. Maybe it can be sold in combo with a remote cutter for fixed ropes.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
haha!

No. It is better to suffer eternal shame.

...there may be more...

No 8: I buy that any day. Maybe it can be sold in combo with a remote cutter for fixed ropes.

They exist.

However, you’ll need to approach MOD for supplier details...

Edit:
Possibly not with a fixed rope cutting attachment.

ali k

• junky
I'd pay significant sums for that. Sore / split tips is usually the limiting factor for me.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
10: Anti-gravity belt. Not complete isolation, just a 75% reduction in g for a couple of seconds on demand. After all, you wouldn’t want to cheat or anything.

sdm

• forum abuser
I'd pay significant sums for that. Sore / split tips is usually the limiting factor for me.
If someone could invent this, they could pretty much name their price and I would gladly pay it.

Skin is the limiting factor for almost all of my sessions.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
11. Climbing t-shirts/thermal tops with really long torso relative to arms, so you don't get a freezing middle every time you raise your arms to climb and spot on a cold winters day.

andy_e

• forum hero
11. Climbing t-shirts/thermal tops with really long torso relative to arms, so you don't get a freezing middle every time you raise your arms to climb and spot on a cold winters day.

110% this. Or just a thermal onesie with appropriate stretch so as not to be wedgie-inducing.

GazM

• forum abuser
    • Highland ramblings
In NZ I bought a merino thermal top from Kathmandu (NZ outdoor shop) that has a freakishly long torso that would fit this bill. I assume it's designed for exactly what you describe. I have to tuck it into my trousers otherwise I might be mistaken for wearing a short dress.

andy_e

• forum hero
12. Bouldering mat with built-in fans that can be positioned to a) cool hands down, b) blow midgies away, or c) pointed upwards to reduce lift on windy days.

Paul B

• forum hero
2. Small haulbags. Surely no one need more than 20 l capacity for a wall that can be done in a day? 35 l is the smallest I've seen: what on earth are people bringing on the routes?

You can get various tag bags less than 20l (Atom Smasher being the smallest haul bag I'm aware of at around ~35l) and I'm sure someone like Runout customs would be up for producing something if you dropped them an email.

I did try and work out if I could fit my lunch and approach shoes in our Waste Case (8.2l of  :shit:) but couldn't quite bring myself to try it.

Tried a cycling baselayer? They're a bit longer at the back at least for being in a riding position.

You can even get one appropriately named:
https://road.cc/content/review/211465-rivelo-mens-hathersage-merino-long-sleeve-base-layer

("there's no extra-long back" maybe not that one then) :tumble:

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

1. Lightweight approach shoes. (Nope, Evolv Cruzer would have been close to lightweight if they had used something less daft than canvas for the uppers, but they have now been discontinued. The lightest approach shoes on the market now are about the same weight as two camalot 5s. No one clips that to the harness unless they must. The lightest trail-running shoes on the market weight about as much as a quickdraw, for comparison)

1. At the risk of repeating myself yet again, why not fell-running shoes?

2. I’ve wondering what you’ve been using on your adventures as I have been asking myself exactly the same question.  The Metolius Mescalito is a little oversize at 24litres and would be very awkward to climb with. Perhaps a caver’s / rope access tackle bag? Or something bespoke as PaulB suggests. I would be interested in something similar if it made ordering easier.

Paul B

• forum hero

Sticky rubber IS confidence inspiring when you're rock hopping around on approaches/descents. Since moving to some Arc'teryx fell running shoes I have missed that (but it's the best compromise I've found currently). If only they had pull-on loops (to clip).

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero

2. I’ve wondering what you’ve been using on your adventures as I have been asking myself exactly the same question.  The Metolius Mescalito is a little oversize at 24litres and would be very awkward to climb with. Perhaps a caver’s / rope access tackle bag? Or something bespoke as PaulB suggests. I would be interested in something similar if it made ordering easier.

Snap do an 18ltr.

Edit:

Found it.
Saw it in passing, looking for something else, a while back. No idea what it’s like.
https://www.trekkinn.com/outdoor-mountain/snap-climbing-haulbag-18l/137565013/p

i.munro

• junky
The Munro bouldering kilt TM.
Cool in hot weather, doesn't impede flexibility and a useful parachute effect on Highballs.
Can't imagine why this isn't available there must be some drawback I can't think of.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.

This exists and it’s free. But a bit smelly.

Garlic clove- slice finely and rub between fingers. Try it, the effect is very marked.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker

5.10 Daescents were about 480g for a pair (sorry don’t know how much cams weigh) and had the advantage that you could climb pretty hard in them too. Sadly discontinued pretty quickly.

Paul B

• forum hero
Snap do an 18ltr.

I think that's more of a "looks like a haul bag" thing, rather than something I'd want my car keys to be in, somewhere in the Verdon  ;D

ali k

• junky
This exists and it’s free. But a bit smelly. Garlic clove- slice finely and rub between fingers.
Christ, the tip of my finger and thumb stinks for about a week after just peeling a few cloves - I can't imagine what this is like!

tomtom

• forum hero
In NZ I bought a merino thermal top from Kathmandu (NZ outdoor shop) that has a freakishly long torso that would fit this bill. I assume it's designed for exactly what you describe. I have to tuck it into my trousers otherwise I might be mistaken for wearing a short dress.

Khatmandu have (had?) UK stores and online service. Got my waterproof from there 3-4 years back.

MischaHY

• obsessive maniac

Genuine question: Surely one of the various Rhino potions cautiously applied with a brush does this? With their range plus antihydral you've got concentrations of 2%, 4%, 8% and 13% methanamine so plenty of options in terms of intensity...

Since I got the application intervals right for my skin I have to say tend to get knackered muscles before skin now. No splits either.

Appreciate though that people have very different responses so interested to know how this works for others.

tomtom

• forum hero

Genuine question: Surely one of the various Rhino potions cautiously applied with a brush does this? With their range plus antihydral you've got concentrations of 2%, 4%, 8% and 13% methanamine so plenty of options in terms of intensity...

Since I got the application intervals right for my skin I have to say tend to get knackered muscles before skin now. No splits either.

Appreciate though that people have very different responses so interested to know how this works for others.

Tip juice (the strong one) makes my tips more leathery feeling (used once a week as directed) but I’m far from convinced it actually makes the skin tougher. It is antihydral yes? So drys out rather than builds up??

I’ve stopped using it now - but when I was I’d also get all sorts of splits in the creases (where it wasn’t applied) and had one case where a tip split above and below a layer of tape (where the tape stopped and skin started (protecting a teeny blemish).

And - it’s not tested or regulated at all (read the bottle and their website) which I suspect for a skin product is not legit in the UK.

(Edit that’s come across as a rhino bashing which it was t intended... Just not convinced it works)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal