UKBouldering.com

Products that doesn't exist but should (Read 11865 times)

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground

2. I’ve wondering what you’ve been using on your adventures as I have been asking myself exactly the same question.  The Metolius Mescalito is a little oversize at 24litres and would be very awkward to climb with. Perhaps a caver’s / rope access tackle bag? Or something bespoke as PaulB suggests. I would be interested in something similar if it made ordering easier.

I use a small (discontinued) day pack from Simond that is about 18 litres or so. It cost less than €20 at the time and we have hauled this bag well over hundred pitches without problem. But at some point I'm bound to climb a route with a few slabby pitches...

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
14 A brush with bristles as stiff and densely packed as the Psychi ones, but with a decent glue so they don't fall out. Lapis is the next best thing, followed by 8b+. Moon are too soft.

HaeMeS

• menacing presence
@ 9: Antihydral every X days. Combined with daily (!) moisturizing cream (no expensive stuff - 'Nivea care and repair' does the trick) and filing excess callus works fine. Indestructible skin :dance1:

@14: Faza?

15) Tents with waterproof groundsheets that last.

16) Chalkbags that don't spill chalk when closed and in a backpack / durable drawcords.

MischaHY

• obsessive maniac
9. A potion/lotion that makes your skin thicker / tougher without fucking it up
I'd pay significant sums for that. Sore / split tips is usually the limiting factor for me.

Genuine question: Surely one of the various Rhino potions cautiously applied with a brush does this? With their range plus antihydral you've got concentrations of 2%, 4%, 8% and 13% methanamine so plenty of options in terms of intensity...

Since I got the application intervals right for my skin I have to say tend to get knackered muscles before skin now. No splits either.

Appreciate though that people have very different responses so interested to know how this works for others.

Tip juice (the strong one) makes my tips more leathery feeling (used once a week as directed) but I’m far from convinced it actually makes the skin tougher. It is antihydral yes? So drys out rather than builds up??

I’ve stopped using it now - but when I was I’d also get all sorts of splits in the creases (where it wasn’t applied) and had one case where a tip split above and below a layer of tape (where the tape stopped and skin started (protecting a teeny blemish).

And - it’s not tested or regulated at all (read the bottle and their website) which I suspect for a skin product is not legit in the UK.

(Edit that’s come across as a rhino bashing which it was t intended... Just not convinced it works)

So it has the same active compound (methanamine) which causes a chemical reaction in the skin that plugs your sweat glands temporarily. Good explanation here: https://www.sheffieldclimbingclinic.com/post/skin-care-for-climbers

My experience is it definitely works but only if you have sweaty tips - if you have naturally dry skin then it will ruin you. It's been a game changer for my slippy sweat-tips though!

tomtom

• forum hero
I don;t suffer from dry skin - but don’t have sweaty tips either.. Only thing that toughens my skin up seems to be repeated climbing/callus (calous?) developing...

Ballsofcottonwool

• player

@14 Have you tried SillyGoat brushes, In the 4 weeks between getting one for my birthday and lockdown when I was able to use It I was impressed.

@9 lansinoh pure lanolin cream says its for nipples on the tube but it keeps my tips in good condition.

SA Chris

• forum hero
Not heard of silly goat or faza, will look.

Update - and don't cost a small fortune!! :)

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
I don;t suffer from dry skin - but don’t have sweaty tips either.. Only thing that toughens my skin up seems to be repeated climbing/callus (calous?) developing...

Using Antihydral regularly definitely makes the skin on my tips thicker. I’m not sure what the exact mechanism is but I assume the lack of sweating means the skin wears out less quickly.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
11. Climbing t-shirts/thermal tops with really long torso relative to arms, so you don't get a freezing middle every time you raise your arms to climb and spot on a cold winters day.

Oh my god there is an advantage to suddenly having a shorter torso. In your face, chilly-middled people!  ;)

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
[9] - I once got quite good results for skin by putting a little bit of anti-hydral on, then once that was dry, a light oiling with Bio-oil / vitamin E oil. Seemed to be a bit tougher, drier, and suppler. YMMV

[11] - I've found Underarmour Coldwear / Warmwear to be pretty decent in that way although maybe it's just the lower hem getting caught around my distended belly and not riding further up.

tomtom

• forum hero

Using Antihydral regularly definitely makes the skin on my tips thicker. I’m not sure what the exact mechanism is but I assume the lack of sweating means the skin wears out less quickly.

Maybe Tim - it feels thicker - but also more inflexible. All anecdotal etx.. but when I used it splits would happen quickly - almost as if the skin were more brittle. Now I’ve stopped my skin wears thin at a point then splits. I get more warning of that makes sense.

I guess I could recalibrate for when antihydral’d skin was about to go...

As I can only get near rock seriously once a week at the moment it’s not such an issue (though I’ve a week near Carrock next week so I’ll be taped up after 90 min 😂😂)

i.munro

• junky

@14 Have you tried SillyGoat brushes, In the 4 weeks between getting one for my birthday and lockdown when I was able to use It I was impressed.

Absolutely brilliant! I would never have bought one for those prices but my wife got one as a gift and then I did. Seems to do as good a job of shifting chalk as anything I've tried (short of a water sprayer) and you don't feel as much as if you're trashing the rock as other brushes.

SA Chris

• forum hero
11 - I've got a Lululemon (mock not, their tech stuff is great quality) Running Top, with sleeves long enough to keep my hands cold on winter runs and also covers my lanky torso. It's a perfect thickness too, warm without feeling bulky. I'd not pay full price though!

tomtom

• forum hero
I quite like the £4 simond ones with a little sandpaper patch on the handle for the skin. Two birds with one stone etc..

I also have a large shoe brush £2.50 Tesco with lovely soft animal hair bristles - that is great for dusting the chalk of slopers.

If you want boar hair brushes at 1/4 the price of climbing shops go and look on eBay. Whoever is re-badging them as XYZ climbing brushes is making a VERY healthy markup for a little badge on the handle....

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
Along similar lines to previous suggestion...
17. Temperature control on chalk bags - cooled for summer, heated for winter.
18. Heated climbing boot inserts. Something to pre-heat climbing shoes between attempts on witheringly cold days.

SA Chris

• forum hero
18 - have you tried those reuseable handwarmers, or not warm enough?

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
11. Climbing t-shirts/thermal tops with really long torso relative to arms, so you don't get a freezing middle every time you raise your arms to climb and spot on a cold winters day.

I raised this issue a few years ago on this forum. I think the response was "buy the right size" (probably from Dense).

I did manage to score exactly the right thing from Decathlon's ski department

sdm

• forum abuser
9. A potion/lotion that makes your skin thicker / tougher without fucking it up
I'd pay significant sums for that. Sore / split tips is usually the limiting factor for me.

Genuine question: Surely one of the various Rhino potions cautiously applied with a brush does this? With their range plus antihydral you've got concentrations of 2%, 4%, 8% and 13% methanamine so plenty of options in terms of intensity...

On the 2%, I can just about get away with applying a small amount once a week with daily moisturising.

Any more often than that, or if I use anything stronger, or if I forget to moisturise just once, and the top layers just peel away and shed before I even get to the crag, leaving even thinner, weaker tips than usual.

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
The Scarpa Stix. With a better heel.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
Along similar lines to previous suggestion...
18. Heated climbing boot inserts. Something to pre-heat climbing shoes between attempts on witheringly cold days.

These exist. Called ‘armpits’ :)

abarro81

• forum hero
The Scarpa Stix. With a better heel.

I'd just take the old Booster S, as it was... Though mostly I want a magic cream to fix my gammy fingers

Doylo

• forum hero
Not really a product but advanced satellite technology that allows you to measure the height of objects (boulders) and get a 3D view.

andy_e

• forum hero
That technology exists (airborne LiDAR) but in the UK the only freely-available data are over rivers and floodplains (from the Environment Agency). It's amazing technology as you can "see" through vegetation too and possibly spot a big boulder lurking in a forest somewhere...

Doylo

• forum hero
I didn’t realise you could do 3D on Google Earth but still hard to see if something’s sizeable/decent.

tomtom

• forum hero
That technology exists (airborne LiDAR) but in the UK the only freely-available data are over rivers and floodplains (from the Environment Agency). It's amazing technology as you can "see" through vegetation too and possibly spot a big boulder lurking in a forest somewhere...

It can’t see under overhangs either - so you wouldn’t be able to see how steep it is.

There is oblique satellite imagery with sub metre pixel resolution now - that would work in some places. I know R man and Lee used to use google maps etc.. to scope out possible areas..

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal