UKBouldering.com

Double Everest (Read 7328 times)

andy popp

• forum hero
#25 Re: Double Everest
November 14, 2022, 04:25:09 pm
Must be getting marginal though?

To be honest, it's been fine so far. Obviously I can tell it's fairly cold but it feels perfectly bearable. I think swimming throughout the autumn really has acclimatised me. That said, I don't understand the idea of acclimatising to cold water. It can't really be physiological, can it. Once you're fully warmed back up does your body really retain some adjustment? Acclimatisation to altitude must induce much more physiological change but even that is lost quite quickly when you come back down. Anyway, I hope to eke out a couple more weeks but expect there'll soon be a tipping point where it gets not bearable at all. But enough for now of my puny efforts.

edshakey

• forum abuser
#26 Re: Double Everest
November 14, 2022, 06:49:04 pm
While we're off topic but still slightly on topic...

https://www.scarpa.co.uk/blog/vertical-marathon/

A month ago Tom Hollins ran a vertical marathon, on Pendle Hill.

Sod that. From the photos looks awkward underfoot too. Give me a springy peat bed any day. As per previous, I think i would struggle more with the mental aspect of the utter tedium of going up and down the same path that many times.
Yep and a fair number of reps were in the wet/wind/fog. Looked pretty miserable.

remus

• forum hero
#27 Re: Double Everest
November 14, 2022, 08:07:49 pm
That said, I don't understand the idea of acclimatising to cold water. It can't really be physiological, can it. Once you're fully warmed back up does your body really retain some adjustment?

Im no expert but my uncle is well in to cold water swimming and apparently you do physiologically adjust. As I understand it regular exposure greatly reduces the effect of cold water shock response (which I guess can happen over a relatively short period of time?) and your body also increases subcutaneous fat which keeps you warmer (i guess this takes longer?)

webbo

• forum hero
#28 Re: Double Everest
November 14, 2022, 09:08:35 pm
In another life time when I did triathlons. The norm was cold showers and open water swimming with out your wet suit to condition yourself to perform better in cold water.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal