UKBouldering.com

Skye bouldering development (or lack thereof) (Read 15469 times)

sherlock

• obsessive maniac
Yeah, nice one Gaz   :thumbsup:
The rock at the  NGD boulders is really lovely, just a shame there isn't loads of it!

peterherd

Exciting. Exploding scene up north. Never seen so many folk at Celtic Jumble as in this autumn. They all seemed v 'respectful' too (I didnt pick up any litter, anyway). Really strong, albeit small scene developing around Inverness with central belt wads also making regular visits.New boulders and repeats in the 8's in recent years. Not sure Highland bouldering is slumped at a low standard as such. Its just that its a small number of protagonists with a relatively low social media presence.   Just need a proper climbing wall and for those that want to contribute, a site to share info on.

In the short term a few people are writing wee blogs for http://invernessbouldering.blogspot.com

Im currently writing about rock climbing development in Scotland 2018-20 - bouldering sport and trad. Article(s) will inevitably be on UKC but also keen to share anywhere else viable.  Anyone interested in talking about it or contributing please fire me an email peter.herd at icloud.com.

Cheers,
Pete

andy_e

• forum hero
I keep trying to persuade various large climbing wall chain owners that Inverness would be a great spot for a new bouldering wall... You'd get visitors from Ness, Aviemore, Ullapool, Moray etc. plus people would no doubt come through from Aberdeen and Fort Bill on a rainy weekend! Then there's the new starters and schools in the area that would be interested in a pure bouldering wall. Just need the likes of Eden Rock/TCA/Depot to be persuaded of that...

I'd be keen to contribute to a yorkshiregrit/peakbouldering-style site!

Looking forward to reading your articles Pete! You're definitely right in the protagonists being low-key, but I like that. I like how everyone in "the scene" seems to know each other by their first names only.

peterherd

Im convinced its one of the prime locations for a modern wall in the UK for many of the reasons you've highlighted.I grew up there and it hasn't stopped growing since i can remember.  Economically robust area, pop growth projected to continue, improving transport links, more folk working at home, new uni campus etc. I just wish Eden Rock would replicate. Id be delighted to be involved.

Thanks Andy.. maybe you can ping me an email? We could get a few folk together on a whatsapp thing, maybe get a zoom chat with John Watson re the google site hes got?

gme

• forum hero
I am sure i read that Duncan Mcallum was building one in inverness.

andy_e

• forum hero
He's building what is mainly a routes wall with a bit of bouldering. Even with that I reckon there'll still be room for a dedicated bouldering wall. Also, he's been saying he'll build it for the last 6 years or so, so I'll believe it when I see it!

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Even though there is a large area to draw from, the overall population is pretty low, can't see it being a high priority for next new centre, central belt has a better draw I reckon.

I reckon the strong southern raider BW should be sent packing he seems to be hoovering up! :)

scragrock

• obsessive maniac
Even though there is a large area to draw from, the overall population is pretty low, can't see it being a high priority for next new centre, central belt has a better draw I reckon.

I reckon the strong southern raider BW should be sent packing he seems to be hoovering up! :)

I agree Chris, Inverness is a wee town NOT a city. Simply doesn't have the footfall. Good luck to Duncan nonetheless.

as for the Benj...he is crushing at the moment and good on im but he was gently pulled back to earth recently when he put up a new problem up in Rooftown (Kansas City Shuffle} thought it was super hard thus grading it 7b, Dave Mac sent it a week later grading it 6b...hahahahaha

Your Not anybody till Dave downgrades yer problems :P

SA Chris

• forum hero
He's truly arrived! Can't fault the boy's talent and psyche though.

andy_e

• forum hero
Inverness's answer to Sharma

Hamfunk

• regular

The Sharmessiah has already graced strathnairn in the form of Benjamin Litster

https://www.flickr.com/photos/richiebetts/1304416051/in/dateposted/

SA Chris

• forum hero
Add to the "where are they now" list?

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
Ben pretty much finished uni, got a job, moved away and as far as I'm aware stopped climbing. Haven't seen him since he left Glasgow.

andy_e

• forum hero
Apparently he made a comeback as Yes Ben! in Rocklands but has gone off the radar again

scragrock

• obsessive maniac

The Dark horse that is Stu Goodwin might qualify for this?

gardinrm

• menacing presence

... thought it was super hard thus grading it 7b, Dave Mac sent it a week later grading it 6b...

Made me laugh. I've climbed/failed on a few Dave Mac 6s.... I don't think he remembers what climbing 6s should feel like :)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal