UKBouldering.com

UKB soldiers MIA (Read 26837 times)

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
  • Dave Thomas is an annual climber to 1.7m, with strongly fragrant flowers
  • Don't die with your music still inside you ;)
#75 Re: UKB soldiers MIA
September 29, 2021, 05:13:26 am
I was thinking about starting a new thread, entitled "Be sure you put your feet in the right place.." - if you want to avoid a big lob.

But then I found this excellent thread from Fiend. Really great, and says a lot about him.. that I'd never be prepared to say to his face  ;D

I wasn't referring to Neil's new route Lexicon, or Steve's lob from it. I was reflecting on someone else's reference to growing a backbone if we didn't like what we were reading. Northern Yob, I hope you don't mind me referencing your comments in the Lexicon thread, and if you want my opinion, I don't think that what people were contributing to the discussion was too bad, though perhaps pretty ill informed.
It was good however, to see the balance shifting to more positive contributions about Neil's efforts - and the man himself.

What I do find difficult - and again, apologies to you, because the same has been said by others at different times in the past - is the suggestion that people should grow a backbone if they don't like what they are reading.

What I really like about this thread, is the inclusive spirit it expresses, and I think we should all work hard to make the forum less exclusive. It may take a little bit of backbone to do that - to try and change the culture where it needs to be changed.

A lot gets said about many people, but often only those things that support our preconceptions of things, or fit the prejudices or grievances we already hold. Making things easier to read makes them easier to consider, and may encourage a few others to join the party, or come back on board.  :pissed:

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#76 Re: UKB soldiers MIA
September 29, 2021, 08:34:28 am
Umm, his is about regular UKBers who have disappeared.

I did think of Bubba with the driver shortage though, he must be able to name his salary at the moment.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2021, 08:46:20 am by SA Chris »

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#77 Re: UKB soldiers MIA
September 29, 2021, 11:12:50 am
I only realised that tomtom had stopped posting the other day.

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#78 Re: UKB soldiers MIA
September 29, 2021, 03:17:14 pm
Has Dave posted in the wrong thread or am I going mad?

SA Chris

• forum hero
#79 Re: UKB soldiers MIA
September 29, 2021, 03:50:18 pm
See my comment above.

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
  • Dave Thomas is an annual climber to 1.7m, with strongly fragrant flowers
  • Don't die with your music still inside you ;)
#80 Re: UKB soldiers MIA
September 30, 2021, 02:07:26 am
Has Dave posted in the wrong thread or am I going mad?

Don't worry. You won't be alone  ;D

No, I was thinking about starting a separate thread, but found Fiend's, and I thought that was such a great thread to have, which - as far as I feel - expresses a great deal of what I like about being able to take part in this forum.

I was even thinking about Sloper and Dense, Slackline I don't see enough of, Jas - spoke to recently - etc, last night, folk that have all been part of making the site a more intimate place to be. It's so valuable.

Some of the threads are just fantastic. Others less so.
Helping make the site a warmer place to be, is just something worth working hard to protect.

I'm sure it would have been the spirit behind Bubba's enterprise in setting the forum up in the first place.

I just thought this thread was great, in it's expression of folk missing but not forgotten.

:punk:

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#81 Re: UKB soldiers MIA
September 30, 2021, 09:35:51 am
Good call Dave (even if it's a slightly confusing thread for it!). I did allude to this in the Lexicon epic thread, asking habrich what he was going to do about UKB being a forum with a cliquey/ bullying character for lapsed climbers and bitter folk, that request fell on deaf ears it seems.

Obviously some people move on from forums for natural, IRL reasons, other people move on because it doesn't suit them, but maybe some people will move on because they have some issue with the forum - and sometimes an issue that isn't intrinsic to the forum, and could be avoided / alleviated without reducing the character / quality of the forum. I DO think that despite some clear issues with UKB (or rather, clear issues with what people occasionally actively choose to post when they could do otherwise), it is a good and potential great forum, for a mixture of focused / informed climbing discussion, good information, good banter, and fairly intellectual off-topic discussion (if you're into that sort of thing).

Maybe it's worth considering what we can do to get more people engaged, keep people engaged, whilst keeping having fun here??

SA Chris

• forum hero
#82 Re: UKB soldiers MIA
September 30, 2021, 10:18:01 am
You want to start an instagram page? Some tantalising titbit, then -> "link in bio".

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#83 Re: UKB soldiers MIA
September 30, 2021, 10:27:04 am
I know that, and he said that in his post. I meant what is he going to do as a member and semi-regular contributor. Post most positive stuff? Keep bumping up good and useful threads? Gently (i.e. not dismissing everyone as bitter) call people out when they've gone too far?? Be extra welcoming to newcomers? etc etc....

SamT

• forum hero
#84 Re: UKB soldiers MIA
September 30, 2021, 11:50:27 am
What was with TomTom then.. did he get the hump over something, or is it more a 'I waste half my life posting on forums and I'm now too busy so will have to have a break/go cold turkey'

His last posts seemed to be relatively normal?

Seems a shame as I think his input to the forum was valuable.

Bubba's still driving lorries, but says the shortage of drivers hasn't translated into higher wages as yet.  to Quote, "agency work is offering some good rates, but still not enough to jump ship from where he is now".

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#85 Re: UKB soldiers MIA
September 30, 2021, 11:59:01 am
I know that, and he said that in his post. I meant what is he going to do as a member and semi-regular contributor. Post most positive stuff? Keep bumping up good and useful threads? Gently (i.e. not dismissing everyone as bitter) call people out when they've gone too far?? Be extra welcoming to newcomers? etc etc....
Okay, sorry. I do remember the exchange now.

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
#86 Re: UKB soldiers MIA
October 12, 2021, 07:59:35 pm
Anyone heard from Jasper of late? Talk of him disappearing with peoples money going on in the rope access world.

Not good.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2021, 08:05:52 pm by Adam Lincoln »

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#87 Re: UKB soldiers MIA
October 12, 2021, 08:38:07 pm
Anyone heard from Jasper of late? Talk of him disappearing with peoples money going on in the rope access world.

Not good.

I've spoken to a few people about this. I've passed his address on to those trying to find him.

He's not dealing with divorce well.

Last time I spoke to him, he was adamant that he was about to do the work he owes people, but it sounds like this has been going on for longer than I realized - to the point where important deadlines have past.

I have to say that I am really surprised by him letting people down like this.

He didn't give me any details about what he is doing with his time. Usual things like "it will be fine, I'll sort it".

I don't think he has deliberately tried to defraud anyone and expect that he plans to return any money and work that he owes. Whether this will actually happen is another thing.

I've heard that he is sometimes in The Sports Shack in Woodseats. Not sure how up to date this is.

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
#88 Re: UKB soldiers MIA
October 12, 2021, 09:26:43 pm
Thanks lagers… Sad times

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#89 Re: UKB soldiers MIA
October 12, 2021, 09:58:09 pm

Not good.

I've spoken to a few people about this. I've passed his address on to those trying to find him.

He's not dealing with divorce well.

Last time I spoke to him, he was adamant that he was about to do the work he owes people, but it sounds like this has been going on for longer than I realized - to the point where important deadlines have past.

I have to say that I am really surprised by him letting people down like this.

He didn't give me any details about what he is doing with his time. Usual things like "it will be fine, I'll sort it".

I don't think he has deliberately tried to defraud anyone and expect that he plans to return any money and work that he owes. Whether this will actually happen is another thing.

I've heard that he is sometimes in The Sports Shack in Woodseats. Not sure how up to date this is.

Divorce is rarely something that anyone deals with “well”, even when it appears they are from the outside.

Personally, I got on a plane, flew 4000 miles and started a new life on another continent; rather than bump into her in Tescos.

Sad indeed. All round, I’ll bet.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#90 Re: UKB soldiers MIA
October 12, 2021, 11:16:46 pm
Couldn’t you have just gone to Aldi?

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#91 Re: UKB soldiers MIA
October 12, 2021, 11:58:25 pm

I always end up buying too much crap in those “special buy” aisles.

Fatboyslimfast2

• regular
#92 Re: UKB soldiers MIA
October 13, 2021, 07:47:24 am
Umm, his is about regular UKBers who have disappeared.

I did think of Bubba with the driver shortage though, he must be able to name his salary at the moment.
Not so apparently, spoke to him friday. Not trickled down yet.

Didnt know about JS. hes my agent as well......would certainly explain a few things...
« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 08:00:09 am by Fatboyslimfast2 »

SA Chris

• forum hero
#93 Re: UKB soldiers MIA
October 13, 2021, 08:18:28 am

I always end up buying too much crap in those “special buy” aisles.

That theodolite and welding mask getting good use?

mr chaz

• obsessive maniac
#94 Re: UKB soldiers MIA
January 06, 2022, 05:25:34 pm
chaIn - for the encyclopaedic shoe beta

weakdave - for seemingly never buying a pair of shoes that fit

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#95 Re: UKB soldiers MIA
January 06, 2022, 09:35:48 pm
I would say the karma system has merit in direct correlation to the proportion of +ve karma floating around compared to -ve karma....

To me it looks like a little nod of the head (or occasionally shake) for anyone and anyone who says something another user values (or occasionally disdains) enough. It definitely seems to be based on the interest / entertainment / incisiveness / humour etc of the posts.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#96 Re: UKB soldiers MIA
January 06, 2022, 09:44:28 pm
I would say the karma system has merit in direct correlation to the proportion of +ve karma floating around compared to -ve karma....

To me it looks like a little nod of the head (or occasionally shake) for anyone and anyone who says something another user values (or occasionally disdains) enough. It definitely seems to be based on the interest / entertainment / incisiveness / humour etc of the posts.

I'm on -3 and deserved each one as I was being a nob. I reckon it works. It's not like UKB has some gawd-awful algorithm pushing those of high karma to the top.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#97 Re: UKB soldiers MIA
June 16, 2022, 11:47:47 am
Whist I did post on this thread whilst it was current, I'm bumping it up as re-reading it (and seeing the updates) made me wish I'd left at some point so people could wistfully reminisce about me then I worried that no one would remember me then i realised the self-centered futility of this whole excercise and was going to delete the post but thought better of it and left it...

Sorry about that  :lets_do_it_wild:

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#98 Re: UKB soldiers MIA
November 13, 2022, 09:39:50 pm
Cariliois the prince of the prince lines, he was just coming into his own too, before a mysterious disappearance??

Wellsy

• forum hero
#99 Re: UKB soldiers MIA
November 13, 2022, 09:51:20 pm
Think he felt pretty unwelcome tbh, not to speak for him like, but this is what I heard

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal