UKBouldering.com

Peak District Staycation (Read 2540 times)

El Mocho

• forum abuser
Peak District Staycation
July 12, 2020, 08:42:32 pm
For various reasons we are likely going to have a staycation this August. After ideas for things to do etc.

Food:
I've never been for a fancy meal so we could maybe do this. I've def never been or would otherwise likely go to a Michelin starred restaurant (not sure if we will have the cash/desire to go quite that fancy). Recommendations in Shef/Peak for that.

Might just buy some fancy food from supermarket but it would be nice to have some local stuff which we wouldn't normally get. Good local cheese, beer, gin, other fancy stuff...

Activities:
Thinking of some local things which we've never got around to do/never quite thought they were worth the spend (eg Chatsworth house). Any other good places to go see?

Cultural shit. Either Shef/Peak or Manch I guess. I'm not really into stuff like this. About once a year we go to the cinema and that's normally enough for me so nothing to highbrow.

Family activities. Daughter is 14. High ropes course (prob bit tame) archery, sailing...

Day trips. Bunch of places which always seem a bit far for a normal day out but not so far away/good we go for weekends. Maybe something like the Deep (wife and daughter have actually been in the past)

Any general suggestions appreciated.

dunnyg

• forum hero
#1 Re: Peak District Staycation
July 12, 2020, 08:49:49 pm
Dunno if you and the family have done any caving, but could be a good half a day or day out? Cant help with the culture, sorry!
If you are flush you could hire a personal chef to rock up to your house and cook up some fancy stuff. Obviously might not be appropriate due to covid!

remus

• forum hero
#2 Re: Peak District Staycation
July 12, 2020, 09:39:44 pm
Food:
I've never been for a fancy meal so we could maybe do this. I've def never been or would otherwise likely go to a Michelin starred restaurant (not sure if we will have the cash/desire to go quite that fancy). Recommendations in Shef/Peak for that.

Joro in sheff (http://www.jororestaurant.co.uk/) is a good shout, ace menu and reasonably priced (for a fancy meal).

The Old Vicarage (https://theoldvicarage.co.uk/) is also good, bit more pricey but with the full 'waiter talking talking you through the wine menu like you should understand' service.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#3 Re: Peak District Staycation
July 12, 2020, 09:57:04 pm
Gotta say if you haven't already done them, the Castleton caves were pretty fun for a rest day.

Visits to swimming holes on a nice day?

Any reservoir sailing things?

Do a well hidden wild camp somewhere on the moors?

Alton Towers if it re-opens (I genuinely like it).

Oh the Stoney tunnels are minor but pretty fun too - especially on a hot day.

Stabbsy

• junky
#4 Re: Peak District Staycation
July 12, 2020, 10:20:23 pm
Joro was excellent a few years ago when we went - definitely agree with that recommendation.

More recently we’ve had the tasting menu at Fischer’s at Baslow Hall. Has a Michelin star, first time I’ve been to a place that had one so not much to compare to, but was a great experience.

andy popp

• forum hero
#5 Re: Peak District Staycation
July 13, 2020, 06:00:49 am
I think you're saying you haven't been to Chatsworth? In which case, I'd definitely recommend it. The only problem is that you have to book in advance, due to covid, and if the weather turned out rubbish on the day it would be harder to enjoy the grounds and gardens.

El Mocho

• forum abuser
#6 Re: Peak District Staycation
July 13, 2020, 08:02:12 am
Some good ideas there, thanks.

Done a few of the suggestions already (I didn't give a list of everything we have done in the Peak!) and I think there are a few I can't see us persuading our daughter to do (wild swimming aint gonna happen).

At least if it rains on a staycation I can do some of the diy or is that not the point?

abarro81

• forum hero
#7 Re: Peak District Staycation
July 13, 2020, 08:27:00 am
We also enjoyed Joro, and my other half liked the old vicarage. My dad and step mum went to Fischer's and were unimpressed but I can't comment first hand (they're posh restaurant connoisseurs)

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#8 Re: Peak District Staycation
July 13, 2020, 08:48:06 am
Yorkshire Wildlife Park?
Those giant otters will make everyone happy

tomtom

• forum hero
#9 Re: Peak District Staycation
July 13, 2020, 08:49:10 am
Alton towers is now open I think - and not so bad midweek (in non COVID times)

If you want Nat Trust admission to honeypot sites at the weekend you have to be up at midnight thurs/fri to get in the que... it’s a bit of a fuck up tbh - but the sites are nicely not too busy. Houses will be shut still I suspect.

Monsal trail bike ride? Easy for all (even reluctant daughter?).

Get the caterers in and have a romantic meal at Toms Cave? Stock up on joss sticks to disperse the 💩 smell 😃

tomtom

• forum hero
#10 Re: Peak District Staycation
July 13, 2020, 08:49:36 am
Yorkshire Wildlife Park?
Those giant otters will make everyone happy

Hepworth Wakefield..?

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#11 Re: Peak District Staycation
July 13, 2020, 09:20:43 am
We went to Peck’s near Congleton a few years back when they were doing a 13 course menu. Everything was small, but after a while we did feel rather full...

Really nice and decent value for what we had. Here is their current, less gargantuan, dinner menu:
https://www.pecksrest.co.uk/dinner-at-eight/?doing_wp_cron=1594628245.3643510341644287109375

grimer

• forum hero
#12 Re: Peak District Staycation
July 13, 2020, 11:23:18 am
Going down the Megatron is one of the best things I have done in Sheffield.

T_B

• forum hero
#13 Re: Peak District Staycation
July 13, 2020, 11:43:16 am
You never went to the Niche then?

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#14 Re: Peak District Staycation
July 13, 2020, 12:38:26 pm
If Yorkshire sculpture park opens, it's a great way of doing culture outdoors

Muesli

• addict
#15 Re: Peak District Staycation
July 13, 2020, 02:18:50 pm
If you are near Bakewell then stop off at the pudding shop and get a freshly baked Bakewell pud and have a picnic down by the river. Simple but good.

Mark Lloyd

• menacing presence
#16 Re: Peak District Staycation
July 13, 2020, 03:45:38 pm
I can recommend the East Lodge at Rowsley for afternoon tea, managed a freebe a couple of years ago when they did a project with the local school, kids helped out with veg garden a couple of hours a week and at the end parents invited for a meal with kids as waiters, result.
Chatsworth garden is worth a visit for a picnic, has a maze, outdoor games, paddle in the cascade, coal hole/cave and general walk about, can't get to the bouldering though unless you jump the wall, there is also an animal/adventure park but usually mobbed.
The river at chatsworth is also good for a swim / picnic at carlton lees, been mobbed recently though.
Haddon Hall is a well preserved medevial house, but i normally get bored after half and hour and wander round the garden has a cafe as well.

Mark Lloyd

• menacing presence
#17 Re: Peak District Staycation
July 13, 2020, 03:52:20 pm
Heights of Abraham Caves at Matlock via the cable cars, you can then look back at high tor and wish you were there.
Denby Pottery I had to put my foot down for this one and visit the climbing unit in derby instead while family painted pots.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal