UKBouldering.com

Shark / Oak piss take thread (Read 3360 times)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Shark / Oak piss take thread
June 13, 2020, 11:41:13 pm
.....and not doing training on the same route year after year, getting to the same point and falling off.

tomtom

• forum hero
#1 Re: Shark / Oak piss take thread
June 14, 2020, 08:32:46 am
.....and not doing training on the same route year after year, getting to the same point and falling off.

That’s a bit unfair - it’s often a different spot... 😃

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
#2 Re: Shark / Oak piss take thread
June 14, 2020, 05:43:13 pm

That’s a bit unfair - it’s often a different spot... 😃

Rarely polishes the top half....

Doylo

• forum hero
#3 Re: Shark / Oak piss take thread
June 14, 2020, 05:49:25 pm
Someone told me that from the horn to the top on the Oak is 90% less polished  :shrug: Strange phenomenon.

Rob F

• menacing presence
#4 Re: Shark / Oak piss take thread
June 14, 2020, 07:37:50 pm
Shark has it covered. The first half of his training problems are nice and polished, the second half have much better friction (tips a cup of water on the big undercut every third session).

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#5 Re: Shark / Oak piss take thread
June 14, 2020, 08:49:20 pm
Shark has it covered. The first half of his training problems are nice and polished, the second half have much better friction (tips a cup of water on the big undercut every third session).

Funny but maybe unfair. For me, the tragedy of Shark's project is how often he's linked from the horn to the top (or even 3rd bolt to top?). I'm a fellow sufferer / lover of sieges, and my moderate triumphs have mainly come unexpectedly (bad conditions, hung-over, 4th RP of the day). So, I've often wondered if Shark would have already done the route if he'd have started a few more of those horn-to-top burns from the ground.

Duma

• forum hero
#6 Re: Shark / Oak piss take thread
June 14, 2020, 08:53:54 pm
Hasn't he done it 2nd to top once?

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#7 Re: Shark / Oak piss take thread
June 14, 2020, 09:01:20 pm
Yes. The 2nd bolt which is about shoulder height off the fucking floor  :slap:

dunnyg

• forum hero
#8 Re: Shark / Oak piss take thread
June 14, 2020, 09:27:16 pm
I'd give him the tick for that if he did a pull up on the finishing holds.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#9 Re: Shark / Oak piss take thread
June 14, 2020, 09:51:00 pm
I love the UKB equivalent of Godwin's Law.

Teaboy

• forum hero
#10 Re: Shark / Oak piss take thread
June 15, 2020, 12:12:59 am

I don't, it's tedious if the 'jokes' ever were funny they stopped being so ages ago.  Like replying "sent it where?" when someone mentions sending a problem or asking "what's he done on grit?" every time some foreign wad does something impressive.  I love piss taking (Adam's comment was reasonably witty) but if all you can manage is "Hur Hur, Shark hasn't climbed the Oak and he's tried to climb the Oak a lot" then it's pretty artless.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 12:21:03 am by Teaboy »

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#11 Re: Shark / Oak piss take thread
June 15, 2020, 07:54:29 am

I don't, it's tedious if the 'jokes' ever were funny they stopped being so ages ago.  Like replying "sent it where?" when someone mentions sending a problem or asking "what's he done on grit?" every time some foreign wad does something impressive.  I love piss taking (Adam's comment was reasonably witty) but if all you can manage is "Hur Hur, Shark hasn't climbed the Oak and he's tried to climb the Oak a lot" then it's pretty artless.

+1.  My comment was not meant as a piss-take - more of a correction and note of sympathy.  I've invested a lot of effort myself in climbs I haven't done yet (and might never manage) - and would not take kindly to being constantly reminded of it in the name of "banter".

Davo

• obsessive maniac
#12 Re: Shark / Oak piss take thread
June 15, 2020, 08:29:04 am

I agree! I don’t really see much funny or worthwhile in constant banter along those lines. I also like piss taking but just don’t see what reminding someone they haven’t succeeded after a lot of effort and dedication does (apart from annoy them). I am interested in Shark’s siege because like others I have sieged (and failed) and am interested in how someone keeps coming back year after year.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#13 Re: Shark / Oak piss take thread
June 15, 2020, 10:17:44 am
Clearly against the mood of the crowd, sorry. Logpile please.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal