UKBouldering.com

Covid-19 = Big increase in outdoor climbing? (Read 7659 times)

webbo

• forum hero
I thought it was a shortened abbreviation of someone from Chatham in Kent.

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
My wife always gets enraged whenever someone makes a derogatory comment about people who live in council houses (just in case you're unaware, Council House Associated Vermin).

This sounds like a naughty backronym!

Google reveals it is indeed a false etymology. This is quite interesting - https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/accessibility/transcripts/dr-joe-bennett-chav.aspx

tomtom

• forum hero
My friends in Newcastle say it comes from a local word for a "Chavda"
N=1 etc... who knows etc...

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
My father grew up on council estates. It was a “normal” thing. His parents stayed in a council flat until death and care homes claimed them. They and their neighbours were not Chavs, they would be now (and were then) utterly disgusted by that type of behaviour. They were poor, at least until my Grandfather became foreman at the Foundry, when they almost scraped the lower edges of middle class.

Foundry, luxury, at least it wer' warm. My Grandfather worked down t' pit and had to pay the foreman to let him work.
Aye, we wer' poor, but wer' 'appy.

PS Chav is discriminating, as it excludes Scottish types. They're Neds up here.

Anyway, back OT, noted an increase in people climbing at the local bouldering honeypots, notably Dyke's Cliff and Boltsheugh, but I never really use them anyway.

Walked past the other day to see a local mate walking home with a face like thunder, said "There were about a dozen folk bouldering shoulder to shoulder down there, dunno who they are but they aren't fucking local, never seen them in my life, I didn't even put my fucking boots on".  I've since pointed him at some quieter spots.

Ged

• junky
My wife always gets enraged whenever someone makes a derogatory comment about people who live in council houses (just in case you're unaware, Council House Associated Vermin).

This sounds like a naughty backronym!

Google reveals it is indeed a false etymology. This is quite interesting - https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/accessibility/transcripts/dr-joe-bennett-chav.aspx

"As Owen Jones’ book points out it’s used in the demonization of the working class, especially young working class people as if they constitute some sort of underclass distinct from the rest of us non-chavs. "

So still pretty insulting

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
brought to tears because they couldn't climb something quite easy on rock. Through the tears they said, "I just want to go indoors. I just want to climb indoors again".

If you replace the word rock with “a hastily manufactured board” and indoors with  “outdoors” that’s exactly how many of us were just a few weeks ago.  ;)

Bradders

• forum hero
On topic, no I don't think there's been much of an increase, and if there has I suspect it won't be all that sustained. It's easy to forget that climbing (or at least bouldering) in the UK is just a bit hard! As in, you often have to drive a long way, it rains a lot, conditions are often terrible, you'll get mud all over your pads or the landings will be bad/slippery/covered in sheep poo, the rock is often rough/sharp/painful, the walk ins can be long/arduous and the grades are sometimes a bit whack (I love it though).

It's not like Font where you can go do a nice painted circuit on blubbery soft slopers and land in the sand when you fall off. You've got to be psyched!! There'll be some who make the transition of course and love it, but overall I actually think that the longer the gyms are shut the more there'll be a net reduction in people participating in the sport outdoors, rather than an increase.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
I thought it was Romany for 'child'. Possible link to Spanish 'chaval' which means lad too.

I think NED is quite an insulting acronym?

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
I half remember charver being used as slang for bad lads when I was a kid.  I recall hearing that it possibly entered common slang from Polari - the slang language that's mainly associated with gay culture.  Doesn't seem entirely daft - lots of old / foreign / corrupted words have entered common parlance from Polari (naff, ogle, zhoosh, scarper etc.); although, charver was apparently slang for sex in Polari, rather than anything to do with louts.

SA Chris

• forum hero
Never heard of it, interesting. Though googling it from work computer may not have been wise.

dunnyg

• forum hero
Charva is still commonly used in the newcastle and surrounds.

tomtom

• forum hero
On Thirs there were at least 5 teams climbing trad in Wilton 1 some in 2, 3 and apparently 4 too. Normally I’d be surprised to see anyone. And I go quite a bit.

All climbing trad.

T_B

• forum hero
That’s interesting. I was at Curbar last week on a beautiful breezy evening around Peapod/L’Horla etc. No one. Maybe just unlucky. No one at Ramshaw yesterday neither (apart from Mark who came to say hello) but then it was blowing a gale (then raining)!

petejh

• forum hero
Perhaps the UKB pixies can auto-replace the word chav to 'pasty-faced ne'er-do-well'.
As in: 'look at those pasty-faced ne'er-do-wells, sitting on top of the Calf drinking cans of over-caffeinated sugary drink company and throwing their litter'.

SA Chris

• forum hero
whole watching pr0n. Just checking that auto replace still works

yep, still does.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
Perhaps the UKB pixies can auto-replace the word chav to 'pasty-faced ne'er-do-well'.
As in: 'look at those pasty-faced ne'er-do-wells, sitting on top of the Calf drinking cans of over-caffeinated sugary drink company and throwing their litter'.

Yes.

Foul mouthed, malnourished, pale from lack of sunlight, abusive and unwelcoming to strangers, constantly fiddling with small packets of white powder and popping pills.
Scum of the earth, for sure.
The cans, though, are because of their sponsors; so blame should be shared there.

Bastards shouldn’t be allowed out of their cellars really.

AJM

• obsessive maniac
I thought it was Romany for 'child'. Possible link to Spanish 'chaval' which means lad too.

The occupants of Cheltenham ladies college apparently claim it as a compaction of "Cheltenham average", to throw another potential derivation into the mix  :offtopic:

Offwidth

• forum hero
    • Offwidth
I'm happier when the young men and ladies from wherever throw cans rather than bottles from their crag top parties.... easier to clear up. Somehow given we have got trapped in stereotypes I can't see the pasty faced council estate youth  putting dog shit in plastic bags or having used disposable nappies to shove into the most hard to remove yet still visible places.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
On Thirs there were at least 5 teams climbing trad in Wilton 1 some in 2, 3 and apparently 4 too. Normally I’d be surprised to see anyone. And I go quite a bit.

All climbing trad.

TBF some of the teams in Wilton 3 were aid climbing......

JamieG

• forum hero

Pretty sure this a backronym as well. Supposedly stands for non-educated delinquent, but I think the term is much older than that definition.

In Edinburgh some people say Nids which comes from Niddrie, which is a pretty poor part of the city.

webbo

• forum hero
I always thought that Ned was a New Zealand white wine. The missus likes the Sauvignon Blanc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal