technical > computers, technology and the internet

Home speakers

<< < (2/6) > >>

cheque:

--- Quote from: Steve R on June 10, 2020, 02:10:44 pm ---Might be worth a check on gumtree for older amps and speaker sets?

--- End quote ---

:agree:

Andy F:
Another vote for the UE gear.
I've used the Megaboom for about 2 years and loved it. Great sound quality, excellent battery life (20 hrs+ at low to mid volume) and easy connectivity.
Recently upgraded to the Megablast, which is even better sound quality with richer bass and sharper treble and has Alexa built in. The battery isn't as good and it doesn't double as a phone speaker, but given I got it for £120 from Amazon rather than the £240 RRP, they are minor quibbles.

Both recommended.

TobyD:

--- Quote from: Andy F on June 10, 2020, 04:43:57 pm ---Another vote for the UE gear.
I've used the Megaboom for about 2 years and loved it. Great sound quality, excellent battery life (20 hrs+ at low to mid volume) and easy connectivity.
Recently upgraded to the Megablast, which is even better sound quality with richer bass and sharper treble and has Alexa built in. The battery isn't as good and it doesn't double as a phone speaker, but given I got it for £120 from Amazon rather than the £240 RRP, they are minor quibbles.

Both recommended.

--- End quote ---

Thanks for the replies all. Further details, this is actually a present for a parent.
A standalone speaker is definitely what I had in mind, amps and speaker sets are definitely out.
The UE one looks great and I'd consider getting it myself in the future, but they won't need anything portable or super loud. A horizontal orientation would also be preferable, hence looking at the IKEA one. If that's really a rebadged Sonos it'd be a bargain, but have seen quite a few reviews for Sonos saying that they are a pain to connect with or set up. Have also looked at the Echo plus 2nd generation and Echo third generation which look really good. 

tomtom:
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2019/aug/12/ikea-symfonisk-speaker-review-sonos-on-the-cheap

TobyD:
Nice one Tom I'm pretty sure that this one is good, or one of the Echo ones.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version