UKBouldering.com

Bamford Edge Update - Post Fire Access (Read 926 times)

Rob_Greenwood

Bamford Edge Update - Post Fire Access
June 05, 2020, 09:26:40 am
Hi All,

I originally posted this up on UKC, but thought it'd be worth sharing on here as well.

I went up there earlier in the week to see how things were doing now that it had settled down a bit. The ground was still feeling pretty warm, so it was with some degree of relief that it began to rain the following day (even though I was enjoying the endless sunshine). The area of land affected stretches from just beneath Wrinkled Wall, over and across towards Neb Buttress.

The fire service, along with local farmers + gamekeepers, did a good job of keeping it back from the top, which would have inevitably resulted in a much larger fire. Their efforts have also meant that access to each of the buttresses is pretty much the same as before, with the only consideration being the direct approach from Neb Buttress - Wrinkled Wall. Previously you'd have contoured the hillside along one of the crag's many trods/sheep tracks, but I suspect it'd be much more favourable to go to the top of the crag, then walk around and down due to the ashen nature of the landscape below.

In light of this there's no reason to avoid the crag and - in light of recent events - I'd almost rather that climbers and hillwalkers were out all times, as every set of eyes and ears out looking for people with BBQs is a blessing right now.

That said, I'm posting this just as the temperatures have dropped so hopefully it won't be an issue for a while, but given that it's only the start of summer I suspect this isn't the last we'll see of it.

Good luck in getting out as/when it does dry up again.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Also avoiding walking on the burn bits as much as possible gives chance for vegetation to recover.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal