UKBouldering.com

Co(w)nies Dale (Read 2836 times)

lurcher

• regular
Co(w)nies Dale
May 29, 2020, 10:41:29 pm
There is a badly injured cow on the last part of the walk in, past the last fence.   Looks like has broken leg/s poss fallen off one of the outcroppings.  Been there couple days at least.

I called in to Eldon Lane end farm as wasn't sure whose cows but not theirs, its the farm the other side of the dale. Is that the landowner re issues?  Eldon farm will phone them and let them know.

If any one is up there this weekend, see if its been dealt with, if not perhaps report back here or RSPCA it.

Just a point on access,  after the first open gateway, make sure you cut up the field to the stile just above the locked midway gate then back down to the stile in the corner.   However the next fence that you then have to climb is much higher than before and  the wall there is rough. Its probably better to go up to the next wall  straight from the mid field gate and go over in the corner there, as the wall is more substantial and can be carefully climbed without damaging.

Really needs a small stile over the higher fence but I think negotiations weren't happening?   

tomtom

• forum hero
#1 Re: Co(w)nies Dale
May 30, 2020, 05:19:19 am
I thought Conies dale was still off limits - last reorient was that negotiations had not changed the access issues...

I’d love to know if you know different!

remus

• forum hero
#2 Re: Co(w)nies Dale
May 30, 2020, 08:07:42 am
I thought Conies dale was still off limits - last reorient was that negotiations had not changed the access issues...

I’d love to know if you know different!

Access notes on RAD seem to suggest it's ok? Maybe they're out of date though.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#3 Re: Co(w)nies Dale
May 30, 2020, 08:34:15 am
Poor cow. Hope she doesn't suffer much, and makes good burgers.

tomtom

• forum hero
#4 Re: Co(w)nies Dale
May 30, 2020, 08:45:27 am
I can’t remember if the RAD was updated or not. Still messages on UKC that it’s iffy...

Iirc it’s the land it’s actually on where the farmers have a problem - not the way in? It’s on a thread here somewhere.

lurcher

• regular
#5 Re: Co(w)nies Dale
May 30, 2020, 09:02:53 am
Theres nothing on the RAD that says dont go although there was a couple years ago.

I dont think the negotiations ever came to anything.? Nor likely to??

Would be great if something could be sorted even if informally.   

TT its other way round crag is on crow land, short part of approach isnt and needs a wall/ fence crossing.

highrepute

• forum hero
  • Blah
#6 Re: Co(w)nies Dale
June 02, 2020, 02:23:30 pm
I think the RAD must be up-to-date because it previously said don't climb there. So someone has decided it is now ok to climb there.

I suppose no complaints have come in from the farmer for a while. Climbers have been returning to the crag without issue - perhaps their behaviour has improved. So we're hoping it's safe to go there again now.

Just a point on access,  after the first open gateway, make sure you cut up the field to the stile just above the locked midway gate then back down to the stile in the corner.   However the next fence that you then have to climb is much higher than before and  the wall there is rough. Its probably better to go up to the next wall  straight from the mid field gate and go over in the corner there, as the wall is more substantial and can be carefully climbed without damaging.

Although, if this is going to become the new approach I can see more problems in the future.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#7 Re: Co(w)nies Dale
June 02, 2020, 04:14:07 pm
Sadly that's not the case. I'm just about to do a separate post so people are aware of the situation.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#8 Re: Co(w)nies Dale
June 02, 2020, 04:20:42 pm
In short, for anyone spotting this and not the other thread, to simplify a slightly complex situation, the main message is PLEASE DO NOT APPROACH FROM PEAK FOREST

tomtom

• forum hero
#9 Re: Co(w)nies Dale
June 02, 2020, 04:25:03 pm
In short, for anyone spotting this and not the other thread, to simplify a slightly complex situation, the main message is PLEASE DO NOT APPROACH FROM PEAK FOREST

Happy to post some words on peakbouldering if you DM them to me Bonjoy...

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#10 Re: Co(w)nies Dale
June 02, 2020, 04:46:43 pm
Cheers TT. If you could use something along the lines of what I've put on the other thread that'd be good, thanks.

tomtom

• forum hero
#11 Re: Co(w)nies Dale
June 02, 2020, 04:52:47 pm
Done.

Duma

• forum hero
#12 Re: Co(w)nies Dale
June 02, 2020, 05:42:38 pm
Worth updating ukc too? Looks like the approach details were edited today but still suggest parking in PF and walking past the farm?

tomtom

• forum hero
#13 Re: Co(w)nies Dale
June 02, 2020, 05:54:30 pm
I cant do UKC bit if someone else can?

galpinos

• forum hero
#14 Re: Co(w)nies Dale
June 03, 2020, 07:37:39 am
highrepute is the moderator, but is not e-mail able from UKC. I'm assuming it's the same highrepute as is on here.

highrepute

• forum hero
  • Blah
#15 Re: Co(w)nies Dale
June 03, 2020, 02:20:56 pm
I'll update UKC.

Thanks Bonjoy.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal