UKBouldering.com

Conies Dale Access (Read 7647 times)

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#25 Re: Conies Dale Access
June 05, 2020, 01:38:19 pm
I thought so, but there's only one spot where this is feasible coming in from Eldon and it is a bit precarious with a pad on even there.  It's tangled barbed wire merging into the broken end of a wall. Regular traffic would quite likely lead to the wall deteriorating. Plus it's easy for the farmer to claim climbers have made a mess when it's already a mess.

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#26 Re: Conies Dale Access
June 05, 2020, 02:23:27 pm
Just putting it out there in case it's not on people's radars - crossing field boundaries (walls fences etc) is permissable within the CROW Act as long as you don't damage them.

Thats interesting, thanks!

Stuart Anderson

• regular
#27 Re: Conies Dale Access
June 05, 2020, 03:00:27 pm
Just putting it out there in case it's not on people's radars - crossing field boundaries (walls fences etc) is permissable within the CROW Act as long as you don't damage them.

Thats interesting, thanks!

file:///C:/Users/caver/Downloads/Ramblers%20Walking%20Access%20Rights%20Guide_FINAL.pdf

Page 3 (of all places) and link because I'm just some random off of the internet.

Doubt it'd do much to persuade the farmer of our 'rights'.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#28 Re: Conies Dale Access
June 05, 2020, 04:08:54 pm
That file is on your hard drive, not t'internet :)

Stuart Anderson

• regular

JoelWood

#30 Re: Conies Dale Access
July 09, 2021, 01:28:49 pm
Sorry for dragging this one back up, but is the approach via Oxlow Rake still the recommended? (over Eldon Quarry)

If so would someone be able to advise on the Oxlow approach? RAD isn't that helpful? (Or at least to me anyway!)

Cheers

remus

• forum hero
#31 Re: Conies Dale Access
July 09, 2021, 01:34:09 pm
Walk in map for the quarry approach https://www.google.com/maps/d/drive?state=%7B%22ids%22%3A%5B%221BFf1G36MRzTZCCvlIDoKdb5YADoNbl0z%22%5D%2C%22action%22%3A%22open%22%2C%22userId%22%3A%22116748199151597946098%22%7D&usp=sharing

Im not sure what the sketch is currently but this is the approach going past Eldon Quarry. It didnt feel that different time wise to the old approach and it's pretty discrete so I'd use it for now.

JoelWood

#32 Re: Conies Dale Access
July 09, 2021, 01:47:17 pm
Cheers for the quick reply! So Eldon approach is now preferred over the oxlow rake approach?

Taken the eldon approach previously, can remember the big AROUND when you get to the top level of the quarry.

Just wondered if the oxlow approach is better as all access land? Or is it that you're still at risk of bumping into the landowner? (Unlike the eldon)

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#33 Re: Conies Dale Access
July 09, 2021, 02:11:40 pm
Sorry, I still haven't tried the Oxlow approach.

JoelWood

#34 Re: Conies Dale Access
July 09, 2021, 02:25:38 pm
Not a problem, I think I may just stick to the eldon approach due to the smaller chance of been seen by the farmer.

Peak forest looks a bit too quaint for parking, it would be obvious a climber has disappeared.

Don't mind the walk either way, just a shotgun welding farmer is best avoided  :lol:

Stabbsy

• junky
#35 Re: Conies Dale Access
May 30, 2022, 08:23:38 pm
Just a heads up in case anyone is going here. I’ve been a few times this year, parking in Peak Forest and walking up Oxlow Rake and then contouring round the hillside once you reach the open country access boundary. It’s pretty straightforward as Jon mentions above and not much further than the original approach. Probably easier than the Eldon approach.

The only fence/wall you needed to cross was the one above the crag before skirting to the right of the crag to drop down. However, this had fallen in places and could just be stepped over. Last visit was at the weekend and this wall has been repaired and the fence reinstated - not easy to get over without damaging the wall. There’s also a new wall/fence in the dale, between the crag and wall parallel - NE of the crag. My guess is that it’s not trying to keep climbers out and just trying to control livestock. You can still get there by crossing one fence - the new one in the dale. Follow the wall above the crag to the NE end of the crag and skirt round the wall end before dropping down. The new bit of wall/barbed wire (with a bolt fixing it in place) can be easily stepped over.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal